Your Experience - Ti Seat post vs Carbon Seat Post

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McGilli

by McGilli

REASON FOR for this post is this thread here - it is going on for 10 years - 90 pages - and 95% Ti bikes with Carbon posts...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14214

I'm looking for comfort on my new ride. Would love to hear pros or cons of anyone's experiences.

I average about 700km/420mi week. Rides up to 400km a day at times. I have only ever known carbon since I got into cycling - but as I have a Ti frame ordered - would there be any benefit to pairing a Ti seat post? (let's assume my saddle is great and comfy :)

I'll be using 27.2 seat post with a setback.
Last edited by McGilli on Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

fa63

by fa63

It depends really. There are comfortable carbon seatposts but also harsh ones. Same for Ti. For what it is worth, the FSA K Force SB 25 tested the most comfortable in a Velonews test from a couple years ago, if I remember correctly.

Edit: Here is the link to the VN test

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/12/ ... ost_267560

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

McGilli

by McGilli

fa63 wrote:Edit: Here is the link to the VN test

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/12/ ... ost_267560

Well - considering Ti isn't really even mentioned (doesn't place high or low in the tests) - but carbon is mentioned repeatedly in the top results it sounds like carbon is the way to go for comfort...

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Depends. Matching the post to the frame is the main thing. What does the manufacturer recommend? I personally love the look of a Ti bike with Ti stem and post.
Using Tapatalk

Wingnut

by Wingnut

If you are using a compact frame flex will be more noticeable but from my experience you will get more of a comfort factor by the tyre pressure you use.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Slimtim

by Slimtim

In my experience the length of the seatpost is at least as important as the material. I use a long Ti seatpost in a Merlin compact Ti frame with a Ritchey Streem Ti railed saddle and it is delightful even with 23c tyres at 95psi. The seatpost is fundamenral in this case as it flexs a bit over abrupt bumps. Also Ti is less likely to break than carbon (I previously used a topend carbon post that cracked).

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Ti posts will do well generally for bigger bumps, or the low frequency, high amplitude stuff.

Most carbon posts will do decently well in exactly the opposite criteria. Save for a few exceptions.

So, really depends on what's your priority if all else is equal.

But each can be compensated with a suitable choice of saddles.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

McGilli wrote:REASON FOR for this post is this thread here - it is going on for 10 years - 90 pages - and 95% Ti bikes with Carbon posts...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14214

I'm looking for comfort on my new ride. Would love to hear pros or cons of anyone's experiences.

I average about 700km/420mi week. Rides up to 400km a day at times. I have only ever known carbon since I got into cycling - but as I have a Ti frame ordered - would there be any benefit to pairing a Ti seat post? (let's assume my saddle is great and comfy :)

I'll be using 27.2 seat post with a setback.

For example, Bike Ahead seat post is ment to be stiff, so it's not flexing. MCFK, AX Lightness and Syntace P6 HiFlex is all comfortable seat posts.
Ofcourse there are cheaper versions to. I would go for a flexible carbon for comfort.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

McGilli

by McGilli

BRM wrote:http://www.cyclingabout.com/seatposts-overlooked-yet-critical-for-cycling-comfort/

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... vel-46208/

Thanks! I actually ordered one of those split Ergon carbon posts in the link you sent, as well as a Ti post - so I can test them both :)

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

call me a skeptic. on a road bike, a post is the last place i'd be looking at for "comfort". fwiw, i run all 3 on my bikes.
re: the "tests" linked above. okay, a cut out of a frame with a chunk of alloy sitting atop steel rail as the saddle jig....

....right. test the contribution of a post mounted on a frame with pneumatic tires and standard saddle and get back to me.

go with whichever match your weight and aesthetic goals. . that was the rationale for me.

Antoine

by Antoine

Currently I have an older 25mm Look seatpost with a shim on my SS evo, I don't feel any difference with other seatpost I used on the same bike.
Ti seatpost like PMP will last forever though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

I have been on carbon posts for about 5 years now. Never had an issue. I am around 63-66kg, 177cm on a 52cm frame, so an average amount of post sticking out.

The post I have had for the last 2 years is a Deda Superleggero with Di2 insert. Before that was a Deda Superzero carbon. Haven't thought about the post for years, so it must be fine.