Scott S40 Headset Bearings Removal - ****FIXED!!!*****

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

blakemulder

by blakemulder

The steering on my S40 feels "NOTCHED" at the centreline, in fact the steering settles there but is otherwise smooth. I want to examin and replace/grease the bearings. I have removed the headset cap and stem. I have used a rubber mallet to free the steering column but it refuses to move - is it seized or am I doing something wrong? Please help if you can.
Last edited by blakemulder on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oswald

by Oswald

Try removing the expander plug.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Raineman

by Raineman

The forks should just drop out once the stem, spacer, top cap and top race are removed.

I remember the fit between the fork and the bearings being very snug on my S40, so much so that when I got the forks out with a mallet the inner race of the bearing came with the fork. As long as everything is removed from the top, you can't go to far wrong tapping the forks out with a mallet and being careful

blakemulder

by blakemulder

Ok how to I remove the "top race"?? there doesnt seem to be any obvious way - I have searched youtube for instructions but they all seem advise that once the top cap, spacers and stem are removed the forks should just drop out - I have used quite a bit of force with a rubber mallet and those forks are not budging.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

See the split compression ring in the middle that sits into the top bearing? Hit the steerer hard enough to move it down about 1/4". Then lift the fork and separate out the split ring from the bearing and remove it. Fork will then drop out.

Regreasing will not fix your bearing problem. You need new ones. A ghetto fix is just to swap the bottom and top.

Did you remove the plug as already reccomended?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

blakemulder

by blakemulder

I havnt removed the plug, as its internal, I cant see how it would affect removal of the forks??? Also, I have really given the steerer several hard whacks with the mallet and its not budging one bit - Im afraid if I use any more force I might break something. Yes I could take it to a bike shop but my wife, who is the breadwinner was diagnosed at treated for breast cancer so we are living hand to mouth, so there is no money for a mechanic so I am grateful for any advise in getting this sorted

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

The plug could be causing the steerer to bulge slightly making it a very tight fit.

Try to prise the split ring loose with a thin flat blade screwdriver. Go around the circumference. Be careful not to damage the steerer!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

As a couple people have mentioned... Remove the internal expander plug. These almost always expand a steertube enough to make a tight fit even tighter. Especially if the steertube is of lighter construction. Remove it, whack it, and done!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Fiery

by Fiery

The OP's bike has an alloy steerer fork. It uses a star fangled nut, not an expander plug.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, alloy steertube. Perhaps there a bit of seizing that's occurred between the steertube and the bearing itself. In that case is use some penetrating oil around the steertube and inner race of the bearings (both upper and lower), let it sit and penetrate for a while, then have at it with a mallet. At the end of the day, it's gotta come out and that's the only way, if he hasn't gotten it out already. It's been a few days since his initial post. And my mistake on assuming a carbon steertube. If it's alloy, the starnut should not have caused any expansion of the steertube. Thanks for clarifying @Fiery.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

blakemulder

by blakemulder

Ok I will use penetrating oil and attack again with the mallet! Fingers crossed.....

sanrensho

by sanrensho

5 8 5 wrote:Try to prise the split ring loose with a thin flat blade screwdriver. Go around the circumference. Be careful not to damage the steerer!

^^^This.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blakemulder

by blakemulder

WOW - SUCCESS! I used a small screwdriver and prised off the split ring and top bearing housing and the forks fell out! 3 days of penetrating oil did nothing, nor did repeated bashing with a rubber mallett! I took the bearings out and it appears paint overspray on the inside of the head tube had gotten onto the bearings, so cleaned them all up and smothered the bearings and housing etc in bearing grease. When I put the bearings and fork back together the excess oozed out - hopefully leaving plenty in to repel moisture, and the forks turn nice and smooth - Amazing! A big thankyou for all your help! (twas a zero stack headset)