2013 Canyon Aeroad ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

therouler

by therouler

i have the opportunity to potentially get a 2013 Canyon Aeroad and wanted to know if anyone is currently riding one and their impressions? i currently have 2014 R3 but being in the US this is a rare opportunity to pick up a Canyon that is in pristine condition and would also fit me a little better than my R3 currently does. i know Canyon says they are coming to the US but budget would not afford me to get a new frame. i know the 2013 is different in many ways from the 2016 and i am going to run mech so i am not too concerned. thanks!

NGtim

by NGtim

I would personally wait awhile or save up. There is a lot of improvement in the newer models and also better technologies i.e. seat post with adjustable offset!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euka

by euka

NGtim wrote:I would personally wait awhile or save up. There is a lot of improvement in the newer models and also better technologies i.e. seat post with adjustable offset!

The original canyon aeroad has seatpost with adjustable offset. The never Aeroad slx has really shitty seatpost adjustment and the seatpost is not standard in dimensions so there is no aftermarket replacement for it. My training mate has cursed it since he bought the bike last summer.

I have the original aeroad since 2011 (?) and there are 3 issues with the frame:
-The seatpost clamp starts to creak few times in a season. Can be resolved by unclamping, cleaning and applying carbon paste.
-The headtube is too narrow so the frame is a bit too flexy in the front for my taste.
-They designed the frame without testing or modelling so its not aero, more like the contrary. The only thing that makes it aero is the geometry and if you're not slamming the stem you are getting the wrong frame.

Last fall I went to riding to Mallorca and Norwegian lost my aeroad for a week. I had to rent a bike and the nearest shop had Tarmacs which I choosed to to give a try. I really disliked the Tarmac in every aspect.

ichobi

by ichobi

Not recommend. It's one of the early gen aero bike that doesn't perform well in terms of stiffness. Comfort is alright. Aero is a wash. It wasn't designed with neither cfd nor windtunnel. They were just making the bike with as little frontal area as possible. Better save up for the 2015/16 Aeroad cf slx, or get other good current gen aero bike. Cervelo s2/3 is a good option and not too expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudi

by Rudi

I ride one, although the Di2 version. No real complaints with it and I am not looking to replace it anytime soon if that counts for anything. I've not had the creaking seatpost issue that euka mentions but have sometime had a creak from the adjustable fork rake inserts. Unless you are sprinting or racing you probably won't notice anything in the headtube flex (although maybe compared to the R3). You can build them pretty light without that much investment as well - there is a lot more frame on the new version, not that I have weighed one of those. I don't mind either that it may not actually be that "aero" due to lack of cfd/windtunnel - it did 92kph the other day downhill.

I've not ridden the R3 to compare. I suspect waiting for the new version to be available in the US would ultimately be the better option if you have your heart set on a Canyon. If money is no matter then go for it. I'm just not sure that it would be an improvement over your R3 so really depends on your motives.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

The new frame is lighter, stiffer and more aero.

Seatpost adjustment is fine on the new one IME (the old one also had a non-standard post btw)

The new one has had great reviews in every review I've read ... and mine lives up to that to be honest. Reviews were mixed on the old one
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: