Lynskey Helix Sport - Help Me Find Proper Headset Please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McGilli

by McGilli

Hi All!

I ordered a Lynskey Helix Sport. And they were 'going to' send me the proper headset - but some thing about since I'm international - they were unable to adjust the invoice (eBay auction) after I won - and so they could not send me - or basically let me purchase - a headset from them. Ugh. Whatever - my dealing with them are another story. I will just buy a headset on my own.

So.

Jere is the specs for the bike:

https://lynskeyperformance.com/helix-sport-frame-only/

You will see that RECOMMENDED HEADSET is Tapered Cane Creek 40 series is42/is52

http://www.canecreek.com/products/headsets/forty

---- Or - they say you can 'upgrade' and get the Cane Creek tapered 110 is42/is52

The problem is - I cannot find that on the Cane Creek website. I think I have to order 2 separate parts - i will attach photos below

http://www.canecreek.com/products/headsets/110

Will the 110 be much of an upgrade - I'm spending some $ on this build - so not shy about buying the higher series parts...

Or - is there another headset that would work for sure?

Can anyone help me out?

Here is the 40 series tapered package

Here is the 110 series top --- does it matter that the top head tube inside diameter is .1mm different than the 40 series?

Here is the 110 series bottom

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Yes, Cane Creek sell the lowers and uppers separately

The difference between the 110 series and the 40 series is the bearings - the 40 being just standard bearings - the 110 being lighterweight and more durable bearings
(top of my head the 110 bearing is about 7gms or so lighter than the 40 bearing)

For the Lynskey Helix Sport, it has a tapered headtube for integrated headset, 1"1/2 lower and 1"1/8 upper

So for the lower, if you have a tapered fork you need '110 IS52/40' (BAA0143) or '40 IS52/40' (BAA0086)
If you have a standard 1"1/8 steerer fork you need '110 IS52/30' (BAA0142) or '40 IS52/30' (BAA0087)

For the upper, it is slightly simpler, as they are all 1"1/8 at the upper
so you will need either '110 IS42/28.6' (BAA0661K) or '40 IS42/28.6' (BAA0094K)

good luck - the Helix Sport is a surprisingly good ride!!!
regards
ianSWBB

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Nothing to do with your question, but the description says "standard English 68 mm BB" when the pictures show PF30.

I smiled at the $100 upcharge for an Etap frame. Cheeky.

Oh, and I'd go for the standard bearings. They'll be fine and I don't think you'd notice any difference.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Funny, the headset was the beginning of the end in my short-lived purchase of a helix, when their sales mgr decided I could only purchase the more expensive headset from them because he felt that was what I should have in there. Even with him gone it looks like they still can't pull their heads out of their butts.
Speedplay is the devil!

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

The black oxide bearings will eventually rust.
If I already had them, I'd cover them with grease and use them.
But if I were buying, I'd choose the upgrade. Should be stainless steel.
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

spookyload

by spookyload

Mine came with a 110 headset. While searching around, there weren't really many other options that were easy to find. I think there was a Chris King, but it was insanely more expensive. My frame was a PF30 BTW. Kogel Bearings BB went straight into mine and 5000 miles later is flawless. Rode it in rain, snow and the Rio Grande river. Not a peep.

McGilli

by McGilli

ianSWBB wrote:Yes, Cane Creek sell the lowers and uppers separately

The difference between the 110 series and the 40 series is the bearings - the 40 being just standard bearings - the 110 being lighterweight and more durable bearings
(top of my head the 110 bearing is about 7gms or so lighter than the 40 bearing)

For the Lynskey Helix Sport, it has a tapered headtube for integrated headset, 1"1/2 lower and 1"1/8 upper

So for the lower, if you have a tapered fork you need '110 IS52/40' (BAA0143) or '40 IS52/40' (BAA0086)
If you have a standard 1"1/8 steerer fork you need '110 IS52/30' (BAA0142) or '40 IS52/30' (BAA0087)

For the upper, it is slightly simpler, as they are all 1"1/8 at the upper
so you will need either '110 IS42/28.6' (BAA0661K) or '40 IS42/28.6' (BAA0094K)

good luck - the Helix Sport is a surprisingly good ride!!!
regards
ianSWBB

Thanks so much. This is perfect. I've ordered the parts individually. I got the 110 IS52/40 since it is tapered to 1.5inches at the bottom - and then went fore the short top on top in silver :)

Thanks all others too - good information - in the past I've always just purchased the lower tier - but this time I'll go the $ route.

McGilli

by McGilli

mdeth1313 wrote:Funny, the headset was the beginning of the end in my short-lived purchase of a helix, when their sales mgr decided I could only purchase the more expensive headset from them because he felt that was what I should have in there. Even with him gone it looks like they still can't pull their heads out of their butts.

Ha... after 4 days of trying to buy a frame - it really, really felt like I was trying way too hard to just be able to buy something from them... Most of my questions went unanswered via email, or Ebay message. They even messaged me - and said you need to contact us. (after many messages they never replied to). So I phoned them - reception had me leave a voice mail. Very clear. my number, my name - we spoke over message - call me back please.

Nothing. I call again. Nothing. I call again. nothing. So I send a message - basically saying forget it - too much work - just send my frame i paid for. Instant reply saying yeah I got your voicemail - fine I'll just send your frame.

Like pulling teeth....

McGilli

by McGilli

UPDATE - Is Lynskey trying to screw me around?

So - I sent Lynskey a message - asking to confirm that the Cane Creek 110 parts I bought (pictures posted above) were indeed correct. 42 top and 52 bottom. Just like their frame says it takes, and like their recommended tapered forks say they need.

Lynskey just sent back this link saying this is what I should purchase and should be used.

This headset is totally different - it isn't even tapered?

Am I missing something - or are they just screwing me around?

Again - here is what the web page for my frame says:

Headtube Design - Tapered/Integrated - Recommended Headset: Cane Creek IS 42/52

https://lynskeyperformance.com/helix-sport-frame-only/

And here is the link they sent me saying this is what I should purchase:

https://www.amazon.com/Cane-Creek-Exter ... B004VQPH7A

fa63

by fa63

Basically, their customer service have their heads up their arses.. The frame in the link you provided definitely has a tapered internal headtube. Go with what it says on the webpage, not the Amazon link they provided.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

McGilli

yes, ignore the link they sent you - that is for a pre-2015 Helix - before they went over to a tapered headtube with integrated headset

regards
ianSWBB

nobuseri

by nobuseri

McGilli,

Not sure if you're in the US or not, but if you call them, ask for Chad. He's pretty knowledgeable and knows what's needed for the Helix. I just built one (Helix Pro) and the headset is integrated and tapered. Your Sport model one is the same. Hope that helps and happy building!
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

McGilli

by McGilli

nobuseri wrote:McGilli,

Not sure if you're in the US or not, but if you call them, ask for Chad. He's pretty knowledgeable and knows what's needed for the Helix. I just built one (Helix Pro) and the headset is integrated and tapered. Your Sport model one is the same. Hope that helps and happy building!

Thanks - I'm in Canada- but it's Chad I've been dealing with :( and who sent that amazon link above.....

I actually have typed up an entire thread about my experience with Lynskey - and how it's been way, way more complicated than it ever should have been just to buy something from them...

Thanks everyone else. I've ordered the proper parts - just that this link Lynskey sent me was bizarre. Someone less inquisitive than me would have ordered that wrong part based on Lynskey recommendation - and them been screwed when it arrived and doesn't fit at all.

UPDATE - ha just got a message from Lynskey saying that the Amazon link is not what I should be ordering - and I should by 42/52 parts individually to fit my frame properly. You guys should be on their payroll :)

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Weird; I have bought two frames and ENVE forks, along with some misc parts (headsets, seatposts). Chad has been pretty cool and informative. Based on my experience with them, maybe you caught them on a bad day, or maybe he was out partying too hard the night before? :noidea:

I hope the rest of the experience/build goes well because in the end the ride will be sweet.

If you need help, PM me and I will do my best. :thumbup:
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimborello

by jimborello

They made some changes recently in the headtube so first make sure what year that frameset is.