Lake Shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boysa

by boysa

I appreciate your input. It might be a n=1, but it certainly helps.

I wonder if their intent is to measure your foot with socks on or off? I'm not saying it would have made a difference in your case, but maybe closer to where you ended up.

Unfortunately, I can't try any on locally, so I'm stuck ordering and returning. Not a pleasant proposition when you live way out in the middle of the ocean!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

eajohnson

by eajohnson

I have about 50000km on my CX401s. I think they're great, but the BOAs break/wear out regularly which is a pain to deal with each time, I also had an early issue with the built-in cleat plate breaking on one shoe and getting warranty was way too lengthy a process although Lake ultimately came through. They cannot be repaired only replaced.). The heel pads are trashed and I haven't replaced them - wouldn't know where to find parts it looks like you can only get replacements for the 402 and if this pattern continues then at the time when 402 pads are trashed only 403 will be available. I use the lakes in 43 wide and have a backup set of shoes which are Sidi megas (Genius 6.6 I think) and there is absolutely no comparison between them the Lakes are much better fitting and more comfortable, I only wear the Sidi when the Lakes are broken e.g. waiting for BOA parts etc.

My 401s are getting pretty beat up now and Lake 402 will be at the top of my list when looking to replace them. Living with the Sidi Mega is not an option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

It seems to be quite the endorsement that despite the issues you mention, you are still willing to buy another pair.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

eajohnson

by eajohnson

boysa wrote:It seems to be quite the endorsement that despite the issues you mention, you are still willing to buy another pair.

They are extremely comfortable and fit my feet like a glove. My problem is that I have somewhat wide feet so a manufacturer that doesn't do wide versions are no good, they always end up fitting a little bit loose somewhere (and ditto for the Sidi which are their wide mega version but do not fit as wide as Lake so I had to go a half size up). The leather is very nice and supple as well. After a long ride when others are keen to ditch their shoes and put on running shoes I'm perfectly happy to hang out in my Lakes, they are that comfortable. Oh, I should mention that the underlying plastic of the boa spools also eventually snapped off where they are sewn into the leather, because of the holes made by sewing (it introduced stress points that eventually cracked after flexing thousands of times). However I repaired that using shoe cement and kevlar braid that I sewed in to the shoe and looped around the BOA spool holders (so it's not just glue holding them in place it's kevlar taking the load and glue keeping things from shifting). I didn't start having those problems until about 40000kms of use on the shoes.