FSA superlight headset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Anyone using one of these? These come standard with the Fuji SL. They run about $25 a piece on eBay. Since I'm running out of WW options I'm thinking of getting these. If anyone knows of a place with a good price please share it with us. Thanks.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fsa-announces-super-light-headset-bearings/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

https://www.universalcycles.com/shoppin ... p?id=30096

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nickf

by nickf

Nice find. Been looking for awhile for a lightweight solution. Universal cycles has the 1-1/8 45x45 upper i need for my supersix, just need to find the 45x45 1-1/4 lower.

Found what i needed at fairwheel bikes.
http://fairwheelbikes.com/fsa-sl-headset-bearing/

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Will these work on a System Six?

androidavies

by androidavies

I've been using these in my S5. They've lasted fine on smooth dry Spanish roads, I can't recall having to adjust the headset either.

I tried them on an MTB with 1 1/2 lower, 1 1/8 upper as well, largely out of curiosity, as the bearing units do feel quite fragile. The lower lasted a dry week in Spain and one wet ride in Scotland before it was destroyed. The upper has fared a bit better, only just now giving up, after maybe half a season of XC racing, some wet, some dry events, both in UK and abroad. I suspect that the regular front end dismantling for bike bag packing didn't help either.

I'd say that they're great for weight saving, but need some care, and attention to headset adjustment. Given that the lower bearing takes more of a hammering, I'd stick to just using the upper one for longevity, and not at all on an MTB in wet conditions!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I ordered my 1-1/2" 36x45 from eBay and the 1-1/8" 45x45 from Fairwheel. They are about $25 a piece. The stock weight for both is 58 g. so I expect a saving of around 20 g. Once I have some miles in them I'll report back on their durability. Like I said these come standard on the Fuji SL frame so I hope their durability has been tested and validated.

I have an aero bike so I'm running out of WW options...

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I got my replacement headset and here are the before and after photos. These are $25 each so $50 for 19g. saved. I have an aero bike with proprietary parts so any WW effort is hard to come by!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

serbanbara

by serbanbara

Did you installed them using the original compression ring? Or did you get a taller one?