Had enough of Garmin - recommend me something simple

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
solarider

by solarider

I have a Garmin 810.

It's heavy, the battery life after 3 years is abysmal and I don't really use maps.

What I want is a simple head unit that will talk to an Ant+ HRM strap and cadence sensor (and of course show speed and the other basics).

Any suggestions?

by Weenie

jmechy

by jmechy

I'm a fan of the Wahoo Elemnt. Maybe not simple, but from a company that actually appears to care. They launched with a few bugs, but software updates have been frequent and very promising. I'd highly recommend it, and hopefully will never have to go back to Garmin.

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

Have a look at the Sigma ROX 10.0. I have a ROX 9.1 that has performed very well for me for the last 3 years. The ROX 10.0 is what I plan to get once I can afford a power meter.

Grill

by Grill

Garmin 500. Still the best unit they made.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

It sounds weird, but my Pioneer SGX-CA500 has grown on me. It has wifi which is a big plus, but it doesn't have glonass so the accuracy is not the best. The touch screen sucks, but after the initial setup you rarely have to use it. Simple, small, good battery life, wifi auto upload makes it a good option if you are not into garmin.

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

I've been using the Bryton Rider 310 with good results. Simple and really inexpensive.

nohands

by nohands

jmechy wrote:I'm a fan of the Wahoo Elemnt. Maybe not simple, but from a company that actually appears to care. They launched with a few bugs, but software updates have been frequent and very promising. I'd highly recommend it, and hopefully will never have to go back to Garmin.

Does this work with a garmin mount or is it different?

Multebear

by Multebear

Grill wrote:Garmin 500. Still the best unit they made.

+ 1

I've had no issues whatsoever with mine neither.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

nohands wrote:
jmechy wrote:I'm a fan of the Wahoo Elemnt. Maybe not simple, but from a company that actually appears to care. They launched with a few bugs, but software updates have been frequent and very promising. I'd highly recommend it, and hopefully will never have to go back to Garmin.

Does this work with a garmin mount or is it different?

Sorta similar. It's like the Garmin mount, but rotated 90 degrees. It looks like this: http://media.dcrainmaker.com/images/201 ... _thumb.jpg

Many newer out front mounts allow you to quarter turn the mounting part.

RyanH

by RyanH

After 3 years of use, I don't think I ever saw my Garmin 500 go below 90%.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Strava
Current Stable. The Snob Machine
The Ex's. LS Siena: 6.21kg | Parlee Z5 SLi: 5.9kg | LS Xicon: 5.76kg | C59: 5.7kg | Cervelo R5ca: 5.09kg | Fuji Altamira SE - 6.2kg | Scott Foil - 6.2kg | Evo - 5.18kg | LS Classic - 6.7kg | The Crumpton - 5.9kg

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I also back the Garmin 500. You can replace the battery too. :)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Alpine318is

by Alpine318is

I've had a garmin 500 for like 10 rides now and I'm a huge tech guy and I think its awesome. I have not had to charge the battery yet. Plus it works with the new cadence and speed sensors from garmin which are pretty slick.
2012 Specialized Venge S-Works
eTap
Enve Classics

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

For me, Garmin peaked with the 500 and 705.

The Elemnt is big. KWalker sent me a pic with it next to his 500 - nearly 50% larger. Sure there's more screen, but less simplicity. The Lezyne Super GPS is simple and slowly getting all the data fields required. Picks up satellite fast. Wifi upload and is small and light. It could fit what you're looking for.

Coincidentally I flicked my 810 after it again went back to Garmin. Got a 520, but would love for Garmin to either stop using customers as beta testers or or there to be a real alternative in the marketplace.

RyanH

by RyanH

Tinea Pedis wrote:...there to be a real alternative in the marketplace.

There is, it's the PC8. It's exorbitantly expensive but it's fantastic and IMO worth every cent. It's a training device first.
Strava
Current Stable. The Snob Machine
The Ex's. LS Siena: 6.21kg | Parlee Z5 SLi: 5.9kg | LS Xicon: 5.76kg | C59: 5.7kg | Cervelo R5ca: 5.09kg | Fuji Altamira SE - 6.2kg | Scott Foil - 6.2kg | Evo - 5.18kg | LS Classic - 6.7kg | The Crumpton - 5.9kg

by Weenie