New bike recommendations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sharph

by sharph

I am looking into getting a new bike post neck surgery. I currently ride a 2012 Specialized Venge and 2012 Cannondale Evo. I am just getting back into riding after a very long recovery and I am honestly getting a new bike just because I want somehting new. I am a 120 pound female that was a pure climber when I lived in Colorado but I now live in Texas where the hills aren't that great. I have been looking at the new Tarmac (built with Dura Ace DI2) or the Scott Foil Team Issue. I test rode the Vias but I think it is just too crazy for me and seemed like a harsh ride. I love my Venge but it doesn't climb that great. I am hoping to still get up to Colorado to race a couple times a year. Does the aero benefits of the Foil outweigh the added weight. Looks like the Tarmac will be around 14.5 and the Foil will be closure to 16. I was also wondering if the ride quality of the Scott is as good as the Tarmac? On a side note take it easy on me. I am just getting back into riding, I've been out since 2012 and a lot has changed in the past few years. Are the benefits of aero really that great?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Are you keeping the other two? I'd decide on that first to help the decision. If you sell the Venge then consider the Scott. If you sell the EVO then consider the tarmac. If you are keeping both and adding a 3rd bike then....get a tt bike and go fast in Texas.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Is the neck surgery going to affect your bike position? Namely will you need a taller bike to get the bars a bit higher so you don't load up your neck so much?
That is a consideration that will affect your bike options.
Do you have measurements from your current bikes?

sharph

by sharph

I am actually considering selling both bikes. The Scott seems like a pretty good all around bike and is light enough that it won't kill me on the hills. I was considering the Vias but I am hesitant because it gets mixed reviews and is so heavy. I think if I got the Vias I would have to keep the Evo. My position on the bike has not changed a ton since my fusion. I have good days and bad days but my doc says my position doesn't really need to change unless I just want to. I had a Tarmac before and I know it is a great all around bike. I am just wondering if the benefit of an aero bike is worth it.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

What about a Cervelo S5? That should give you good aerodynamics and decent weight for climbing.

Plus, the Cervelo doesn't lock you in to a specific stem, so if you decided you needed to go shorter or adjust your angle up due to your neck issues, you would be able to do it more easily.

mrgray

by mrgray

also what about steel since pain may be an issue. i've had back surgery and have a steel bike with ling head tube so that no matter what i can ride. aggressive carbon bike for when i feel good and there is no issue, but go to steel bike means i can always ride and that's the most important thing.

aero is real but with most aero bikes you get both light weight (relatively speaking, not WW light weight though) and aero.

R5 for some aero and mad light weight?
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

jerrybrabus

by jerrybrabus

If you money is not a problem buy the new C60 ;)

Junior7

by Junior7

topflightpro wrote:What about a Cervelo S5? That should give you good aerodynamics and decent weight for climbing.

Plus, the Cervelo doesn't lock you in to a specific stem, so if you decided you needed to go shorter or adjust your angle up due to your neck issues, you would be able to do it more easily.

+ 1

I also recommend.

BRM

by BRM

Aero elements on a road race bike are hardly effective in real world conditions.
Most Aero bikes have a stretched sit and low headtube, for a more Aero fit.

I think its for you the wrong time to look to a new bike.
Use your current bikes longer to see if these geometries are still ok after your surgery.
Dunno what the neck surgery was exactly but I can image that it has effect on your fit and that it requires a more upright/ less low position. In that line of thoughts I think in the end an endurance model will give you more bike pleasure than the flashy ones you look to now.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Yeah I think BRM is right here.

As for the ones you are looking at; I rode with a guy on a new Tarmac on Saturday. It looked really nice, and the paintwork was beautiful cromoflair stuff. The position looked great, with a slight slope to the top tube. Higher head tube than your Evo for sure.

But yeah, get back into riding first, with your current bikes and then address any issues you have with positioning once you start to get fit again, and then choose a frame based on that.

So... what BRM said then! Haha.

sharph

by sharph

Thanks for all the info guys. I am leaning more towards the Tarmac simply because everything I read says it is more comfortable. My neck was fussed C5-7. Most days it isn't that big of a deal but some days it is a real pain. I am wanting to get back into racing so I want something fast and light but doesn't kill me comfort wise. Not going to lie, the girl in me wants the Foil just because it looks so nice. Thinking the Tarmac or Cervelo may be a better option though. My Venge seems to beat me up on longer rides.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

The new Foil will be more compliant than the Venge (and has good tyre clearance, which has more of an effect). Nothing wrong with buying one bike over another because it looks nicer, as long as they both hit the other criteria.

But also if you've had the original Evo, any reason not to consider the 2016 Evo hi-mod? All the good stuff but more so, and a lighter like for like build off the shelf than Tarmac or Foil :wink: