Di2 shifter hacks, for climbing and sprinting

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

motorapido

by motorapido

Been looking at any options to get sprint shifters onto 6770 Di2 shifters and have come up with a system that works for me, and gives rear mech shifts on the drops and tops of the bars for climbing both up and down shift.

Having seen a few people gut the SW-R600 climbing shifter and similar mods to run the cateye switches for tt shifters i wondered if its only a momentary switch surely multiple switches in parallel should work and it does.

my Di2 setup is closer to Sram Etap in operation as my right hand shifts up and left hand shifts down, ( my brake levers are set up the same, larger paddle does rear mech small paddle does front mech) it works for me, but as its configurable with E tube and the switch positions are only dependent on the wire length it would be possible to have climbing up down on the same side and still have the drops shifters handed for sprinting.

just need to do a final install and wrap the bar tape.

its also set me thinking about a minimalist Di2 shift setup as the SW600 has all the brain in it to configure for front or rear mech shifting, you could use these and switches on any brake lever setup.

total weight of the setup is 15grammes.

2old4this

by 2old4this

I've never thought of soldering the switches to the climber shifter. Good mod :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorapido

by motorapido

Here's the finished install, rear mech shifting from the drops and tops of the bars from one SW-R600 climbing brain.
The switches are just momentary contact waterproof ones of ebay, one set are 6mm diameter plungers and the others are square with 10mm diameter clip on cap (yellow). These are a perfect fit in the Cateye bar mounts from the remote button kit lots of people have used for the Di2 TT mods.
ImageImageImage

ooo

by ooo

nice looking , can you link to this ebay buttons ?

next step solder 315mhz-433mhz wireless receiver board module and use wireless control buttons
'

grouk

by grouk

i have done someting preatty similar but i am having problems with switchs after some time stop work i need to find some good switchs
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132780

reknop

by reknop

grouk wrote:i have done someting preatty similar but i am having problems with switchs after some time stop work i need to find some good switchs
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132780

Very cool soldering and hacking work guys ... :goodpost:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

Dagger9903

by Dagger9903

Appreciate it if anyone here can help me with a little wiring diagram. I get how this wiring would work to create a pass-through (or end point) button:

But how do I use this as a pass-through button?
Last edited by Dagger9903 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayUK

by JayUK

Hi there,

The wires from your shifter go to pin 1 & 3.

Then take a new set of wires from pin 2 and 4 to the other little switch you have (1 & 3 pins on this switch)

J.

Dagger9903

by Dagger9903

that'd be the diagram up top, right? That one I understand.

I was asking about the bottom diagram with ports 3-7. Appreciate the help! :beerchug:

JayUK wrote:Hi there,

The wires from your shifter go to pin 1 & 3.

Then take a new set of wires from pin 2 and 4 to the other little switch you have (1 & 3 pins on this switch)

J.

JayUK

by JayUK

Hi,

The bottom diagram isn't visible??

J.

Dagger9903

by Dagger9903

hmmm, using a dropbox link so not sure how to do that, it shows up for me.

Can you see it now?

motorapido

by motorapido

Bottom diagram, looks like a double pole switch

One wire to pin 5 or 6 second wire from the same pin to terminal on your second switch

The other wire to pin 3,4, 7 or 8 and as these are common the second wire from any of these pins to other terminal on your second switch

PaulH

by PaulH

I have a 6870 lever which I don't need can I use the internals (without any soldering) to add sprint shifters to a 9170 disc setup ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motorapido

by motorapido

Yes as long as the electronics module will fit into the brake lever main body,

The lever assemblies are relatively easy to strip down, there are instructions in the Ultegra dealers manual on the Shimano website.

You need a small torx drive to unscrew the switch unit, but this can be bought for a couple of quid in a mobile phone tool kit.
other than that just a couple of flat blade screwdrivers and a bit of patience to remove the E clip as it can be a bit tricky to rotate round and remove.

The electronics can not be removed without removing the brake lever from the main housing.

http://www.btwin.com/notices/wp-content ... Manual.pdf

http://www.starbike.com/manuals/shimano ... ctions.pdf
Last edited by motorapido on Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com