Lightweight track frame with brake mounts for crit use?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

So I'm considering building a singlespeed bike for crit racing - considering all the crits I tend to go to are on flat airfields or race tracks, plus it sounds like a fun project and a bit of a laugh - as I don't take racing too seriously.

I'm struggling to find decent weight track frames that will take a rear dual-pivot.

Any ideas?

Must be available in 60-61cm. Aluminium preferred but will take Carbon if options are limited.
Last edited by Devon on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marin

by Marin

Why can't it be a normal road frame and you just run it as singlespeed?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Grill

by Grill

Track frames are heavy for a reason.

Single speed for crits is a terrible idea.

Devon

by Devon

Marin wrote:Why can't it be a normal road frame and you just run it as singlespeed?

I don't want a tensioner, and don't want to limit my gearing choices to magic ratio.

Grill wrote:Track frames are heavy for a reason.

Fair - a singlespeed frame with racey geometry then.

Grill

by Grill

Just get a Langster.

Devon

by Devon

Brakes.

Grill

by Grill

Both the fork and brake bridge are drilled and they come specced from the factory with brakes.

Devon

by Devon

Interesting, the images on the website don't show this. I'll look into it, thanks.

by 11.4

Are you looking to do fixie crits or just regular crits? If the latter, it's rare that you don't need at least a bit of gear range to cope with wind, slight grades, or just with corners and accelerations. You can reduce to a 1x10 or 1x11 and put a close ratio cluster on the rear and have a very nice setup. You can also get an older bike spaced for 9 speed or even less and again do a 1x setup with a similar close ratio cluster and manage, at less money, an even stiffer wheel set and a bike you don't mind crashing.

If you want a single speed crit bike specifically for single speed crits, a la Red Hook, almost anything will work. The events are short enough that a track frame is fine as long as you can get suitable tire clearances (a lot of track bikes, especially older ones, barely give you clearance for a 23 mm tire, if that), and a little extra bottom bracket height isn't bad. But there are so many variables to consider in picking such a frame -- head tube height, hub compatibilities (120 versus 126 or 130 mm), horizontal stay ends so you can adjust chain tension, bottle cages, brake setups, and so on). That's all a bigger question than I think you're asking about.

Marin

by Marin

Get an eccentric bottom bracket or hubset, and a normal road frame. No need for magic gear/tensioner.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Italian frame-maker Sarto, do a carbon track bike

Tommasini do a similar thing in XCR racing steel, Alloy or Titanium

As both manufacturers are custom frame makers, you can have whatever add-ons you require - e.g brake mounts etc

Devon

by Devon

11.4 wrote:Are you looking to do fixie crits or just regular crits? If the latter, it's rare that you don't need at least a bit of gear range to cope with wind, slight grades, or just with corners and accelerations. You can reduce to a 1x10 or 1x11 and put a close ratio cluster on the rear and have a very nice setup. You can also get an older bike spaced for 9 speed or even less and again do a 1x setup with a similar close ratio cluster and manage, at less money, an even stiffer wheel set and a bike you don't mind crashing.

If you want a single speed crit bike specifically for single speed crits, a la Red Hook, almost anything will work. The events are short enough that a track frame is fine as long as you can get suitable tire clearances (a lot of track bikes, especially older ones, barely give you clearance for a 23 mm tire, if that), and a little extra bottom bracket height isn't bad. But there are so many variables to consider in picking such a frame -- head tube height, hub compatibilities (120 versus 126 or 130 mm), horizontal stay ends so you can adjust chain tension, bottle cages, brake setups, and so on). That's all a bigger question than I think you're asking about.

Standard crits, single speed. I have no interest or desire to ride fixed outside of a velodrome environment.

You make some valid points here. Basically my situation is this. I used to road race and crits competitively, as part of a team. Nowadays I'm more interested in Audax bikepacking, lightweight touring and distance, so when my racey road bike got hit by a car, I got myself a relaxed disc equipped endurance bike to replace it. I'd be looking to build up a relatively cheap and fun fast bike, and thought it would be a laugh to have it singlespeed (as I currently commute SS and really enjoy it). I'm not looking to race competitively.

Good pint re: tyre clearance, I'd not considered that. I'd want to run a 120mm OLD SS specific wheelset (or flip-flop for dual freewheel options) with 25c tyres, if possible.

"Horizontal stay ends so you can adjust chain tension" - this is basically what I'm referring to by saying "track bike". One bottle cage would be required - another thing I'd overlooked.

Marin wrote:Get an eccentric bottom bracket or hubset, and a normal road frame. No need for magic gear/tensioner.

Interesting! I'd not even thought about this! Thanks for the idea. :thumbup:

ianSWBB wrote:Italian frame-maker Sarto, do a carbon track bike

[img]

Tommasini do a similar thing in XCR racing steel, Alloy or Titanium

As both manufacturers are custom frame makers, you can have whatever add-ons you require - e.g brake mounts etc

Thanks, worth a look!

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Simples

Dolan Pre curse / FXE

Cheap as chips, ride fantastic, and will take 25mm tyres.
FXE has brake drillings and 1 set of bottles
Official cafe stop tester

Devon

by Devon

But it's the ugliest bike ever ;)

I was looking at it the other day. It could be alright with a decent fork and a paintjob...

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I have an older Jamis Sonik track bike and it is alu with drilling front and back for brakes.
Might be worth checking the newer model or seeing what is available in NOS.
In the past one could order it as a frameset, not so sure if that is possible now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com