'09 Scott R2 & S-Works cranks?... No... Maybe ;)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

L33boy

by L33boy

Inspired by other DIY machinists/designers I wanted to make a bespoke set of lightweight cranks.
I'm tight, wanted to make it myself and love a challenge.
I have an '09 Scott R2 and wanted to run some NOS S-Works cranks that were going cheap on the bay.
They match my frame colours and are stiff+light!
So... The R2 has the press fit cups and and the 25mm axle, these are BB30... They are also narrower than the frame! Bu99er!
I prefer a wider QFactor as narrow cranks give me pain in the right knee, so I can widen them comfortably. This is my saving grace.
Whats needed then?....
A. 4 x 6706 bearings required (narrow bearings but double the contact)
B. 2 x handed bearing cups required to house the bearings
C. 1 x hirth axle spacer, now that's a tricky one!
D. 1 x Longer aluminium axle bolt. Ended up getting a scandium bolt for KCNC cranks that was perfect!
D. 1 x 110 spider to bring the chain-line back in check... and make it lighter than stock!
E. I also put a carbon spacer tube over the axle between the bearingss to make it all tight & solid.
assembly.png

The Spider was tricky to reverse engineer the fit but ended up perfect... click...
spider.jpg
fits like a glove.jpg

The 'hirth taper' spacer was a tricky one to machine but ended up a great fit after a lot of measuring and re-measuring
spacer.jpg
exact fit.jpg

Cups bearings and washers were a piece of cake after those two and here it is on the Scott
IMG_0019.JPG

All in all a good project and reasonable crank weight. The cranks are very stiff with the wide and tight bearing fit, I can mash the hell out of it up Honister Pass. :)
Total.GIF
Bike:
9.2Kgs ---------------------------I- 5.8Kgs
Me:
90Kgs -----------------------I------ 84Kgs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

Very clever