need grippy material suggestion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

over the weekend was riding my bike and decided to rest my forearms on top of my Zipp SL70 aero handlebar.

forearm was sweaty and kept slipping when i go over some bumps in the road.

any one know of some grippy materials that i can tape on there and won't damage the clear coat if i remove it later on?

i know 3M make some anti-slip for stairs, but since it's from 3M.. the adhesive is too strong.

i thought of wrapping bar tape over it, but too ugly. tried some gaffers tape, but need more grip if possible.

thanks~

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

You probably want 'soft grip' as opposed to 'harsh grip' - the latter would be grip tape (for skateboarding).

I suggest using a fabric-style heat-shrink. You may need to experiment with what size you need to use, but basically cut the length you need, slip it onto the area of handlebar you want covered, heat (heatgun preferably), ride.

Available online.

https://www.techflex.com/prod_h2f.asp
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

addictR1

by addictR1

prendrefeu: thanks man! i knew i should've just PM you to ask you about this kinda stuff. woo amazon has it.. guess i'll have to measure the width of my handlebar and go from there.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Amazon does indeed sell it! Hopefully they have the size you need?

I usually go through Cable Organizers for heatshrink things. Good luck!

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks prendrefeu.. since this will be fabric type.. would it still slip and turn after heatshrunk?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It shouldn't slip once it's shrunk on. I use heatshrink for hoods at the moment and they only slip after many, many, many rides and usually when it's super hot weather. Then again I'm on the hoods 80% of my riding, and with the hand motion of shifting there's a slight rotational force coming from my hands which would encourage slipping. With your forearms basically resting on the top of the bars there isn't the same rotational force, and you aren't in that position for the majority of your ride. With the shape of the bar they won't be slipping horizontally, if anything they may rotate (spin?) around the bar slightly... but again, only after prolonged use, lots of rotational pressure, and rather hot weather. I don't think they'll slip :)

Easy to replace: make a very light score-line across the top of the heatshrink, pull apart... it will break along this seam. If you're careful you won't scratch your bars either.

addictR1

by addictR1

sweet..that's awesome.. let me give that a try. need to get the right size though.

chris47

by chris47

Sockstop? you can get it for roughly $10 on amazon

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

prendrefeu wrote:Available online.

https://www.techflex.com/prod_h2f.asp

Will this stuff work well as an alternative to bar tape? I seem to have a penchant for "unwinding" bar tape spirals in the middle of the drops. Winding it tighter does not seem to help.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I haven't yet tried it as bar tape, but I have been experimenting with it on the hoods of one of my bikes. I like it so far, but it's quite different from bar tape in terms of texture. Maybe get some and try it out? I don't think it will save any grams however... well, I do know it's lighter than a SRAM hood, but lighter than my own bar tape? Doubtful: what I'm running right now is around 10g for a fully wrapped bar. :twisted:

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

Thanks. I will give it a shot.

At this point, bar tape weight is not a priority for me since everything I've tried keeps getting messed up. In keeping with WW sensibilities, I will weigh what comes off the bike and the sleeve that goes on though.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

You may need to do it in two parts: above the shifter and below... or maybe experiment with the having the clamp on the bar poking through a cut-out of the heatshrink (may need to experiment with placing, or take careful measurements, heat it up to tighten it down, then attach your shifter to the clamp which is then held in place by the heatshrink...

Huh... I may have to try this! :twisted:

Multebear

by Multebear

I've had the same problem for a year now, since I'm on the Cervelo S5 handlebar. I've tried different solutions. First i mounted a latex tube on each side. That was just fugly as hell, but it worked. The latex tube very quickly got dirty and eventually it cracked though. After that I tried a butyl tube. This actually looked much better, since the color is black and thus the same as the handlebar and my handlebar tape. But now I just wrapped it in handlebar tape all the way up, and this is the best decision I made. It actually looks ok, but it's just so comfortable to rest my forearms on the it. It's very effective.

KarlC

by KarlC

addictR1 check out what this guy did to his Zipp VukaSprint bars for his TMR01 .....

viewtopic.php?t=117690

https://www.instagram.com/p/cUS2FirClh/

Bars: Zipp VukaSprint 42
Extensions: Origin8 MiniClip w/ fabricated bridge
Arm Pads: Beer Koozie

oskeres said - Cockpit - Yes, the cockpit is certainly a unique design. Throughout my years racing in the ITU field, I've found that I am only in my aerobars for maybe about 0-20% of the ride. Luckily due to the fact that I can swim pretty well. I wanted to create something that was light, aero, allowed me to mount my PCVI in a good position and allowed me to still climb with my hands by the stem. I took inspiration from the 3T aero road bar which lead me to using the above pieces and fabrictating a bridge to make it ITU legal. Is it comfortable? No. But for the :30 second to 3:00 min of panic when I would it to bridge a gap, it is perfect. Beer Koozie idea came from the GF. Found the thickest and squishiest one I could find, cut it down, put some velco on the mounting point then bam, it beat every aeropad on the market.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

addictR1

by addictR1

Nice... Maybe the mini aero is the way to go. Thanks!

just PM the OP for that post.. hopefully he still has some close up pics of his setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com