Polishing out scratches on a waxed carbon frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

llhh

by llhh

Hi guys!

Somehow I managed to hit the deck at the decent in the Alps and have some light(ish) scratches on my naked waxed Parlee Z1 frame now :?

I was wondering if these can be polished out or otherwise cured?

Does anyone have first hand experience or any good tips? After some quick Googling couldn't find any solid advice for naked/waxed frames in particular.

Thanks a bunch,
Lars
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

fa63

by fa63

If it is clearcoated, than you should be able to remove the scratches by sanding very lightly (though you have to be careful not go overboard). I have also had good luck with using Nu-Scratch (a car care product).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

llhh

by llhh

I might be wrong here but naked/waxed frame is not clear coated, meaning it's lacking the lacquer.
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

by 11.4

You can sand it lightly with very fine paper or crocus cloth. If the scratches are slightly deeper, I'd sand it very lightly to get rid of any ridges created in the resin at the scratch areas. Then paint on some tiny amounts of resin to fill the scratches, and after it's dry, buff it out with very fine paper or crocus cloth again.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Call Parlee directly and ask them the best course of action. If the scratches are minor, trying to fix it without really knowing what you're doing often just makes it worse. And I most certainly wouldn't try to fix it first, mess it up, THEN make a phone call to Parlee. Calling them would be my first course of action, before doing anything. It's easy, cheap and prudent.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ