Colnago Headset Installation Please HELP

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdiomidis

by pdiomidis

Hello to all friends, i just bought v1-r colango frameset and shipped today.

The frame is very nice it self but i just saw that are some missing parts in headset. So i am attaching some pictures to understand my problem.

So this is our fork carbon, that doesnt have anything on it just simple carbon not a spacer or something.

Then our headtube that already are pressed the bearings, both upper and down.

I insert the fork in the headtube like that

then i insert a plastic washer on the fork to the upper bearing:

then the cup

the problem is that the bottom bearing is touching the fork in carbon and has some distance:

There shouldn't be another one washer to be attached on fork to touch the bottom bearing like this photo?

there weren't any in the package.

Does anybody have installation guide for this? I can't find anyone in the net and colnago doesn't have any guide in their site. Or maybe someone got install in the past that?

Thanks in advance
Panos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You've got it right, just as you have it. The crown race is now molded into the fork like a lot of manufacturers are doing now so there is no metal crown race to slip over or press on. That gap is entirely normal. On top, you have everything in place correctly. Were there any thin metal shims included? Probably don't need any unless the headset cover is actually making contact with the top of the headtube. And yes, both upper and lower bearings are Acros units where the bearings come prepressed into the cups then the bearing/cup assemblies get pressed into the headtube by Colnago. You're good.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

pdiomidis

by pdiomidis

Calnago wrote:You've got it right, just as you have it. The crown race is now molded into the fork like a lot of manufacturers are doing now so there is no metal crown race to slip over or press on. That gap is entirely normal. On top, you have everything in place correctly. Were there any thin metal shims included? Probably don't need any unless the headset cover is actually making contact with the top of the headtube. And yes, both upper and lower bearings are Acros units where the bearings come prepressed into the cups then the bearing/cup assemblies get pressed into the head tube by Colnago. You're good.

Oh thanks of all first for your answer you saved my day. I was really disappointing on the start that i just realized i miss parts.

About the fork, i remember pinarello dogma have on the end of the fork a metal stuff, in my case i don't see any metal stuff just carbon.

I didn't really see any melted stuff on the fork if you see the first photo in my first post just carbon but if you say so it's OK. I thought that simple carbon contacting the bearing wouldn't work.

There wasn't any metal shim included, just a plastic ring that is pressed in the upper bearing and then you just put the cup. That plastic ring i thought it should have been added on bottom bearing too. The cup is aligned perfectly as i made a test.

I see some photos on net, and i don't see a big distance in fork and bearing, do you think that when i fit the stem and tight everything up, this distance will be less?

Then the last thing i need i guess is that one that also wasn't included.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well you certainly should have received the fork insert, contact wherever or whomever you got it from. I did have a look at your detailed pics on Photobucket and if you look closely at the lower bearing there almost appears to be some particle of metal or soemthing in the lower right. So make sure there isn't anything in between the bearing and the fork crown. But a gap similar to what you are showing is perfectly normal. And the thin metal shins, if needed, can be obtained at any bike shop, just ask if you need any. Maybe just get one to out on top f the plastic compression ring before you start adding spacers or the stem.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

There is something wrong with the arrangement on your bike, just as there is something wrong with the arrangement on Calnago's bike. There should not be a big gap between the fork crown and the head tube.

I would try a shallower depth/height bottom bearing. Pull the bottom bearing from the head tube with your hands and look on it for the measurements.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha. There is nothing wrong.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Yes, on my C60, there is no lower crown race. On the top, it's bearing, plastic sleeve, one thin metal spacer then the top cover.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Valbrona wrote:There is something wrong with the arrangement on your bike, just as there is something wrong with the arrangement on Calnago's bike. There should not be a big gap between the fork crown and the head tube.

I would try a shallower depth/height bottom bearing. Pull the bottom bearing from the head tube with your hands and look on it for the measurements.

With all due respect @Valbrona, you don't know what you're talking about :). The bearings cannot be pulled from the frame by hand. They are proprietary bearings/cups produced by Acros. The bearings are pressed into the cups at the Acros factory. Then, the cups (including the pressed in bearings) get pressed into the headtube by Colnago. The cups and bearings come already installed in the frame. They are not removable by hand. There is nothing wrong with his setup.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Calnago is correct!

'There is nothing wrong with his setup' - although for sure, he's going to need the fork bung and top cap!!
:D

regards
ianSWBB

pdiomidis

by pdiomidis

UPDATE: Ok after contacting Colnage departments in Italy, they told me there is no need of any spacer or ring in the fork to be attached and fit with the bottom bearing!

You need the plastic ring in the top and then a metal thin ring above it and then the cup, and of course the compressor! A long one only like in the picture.

They also told me that metal think ring can be avoid if i don't really have it it's not a big deal.

Calnago wrote:Well you certainly should have received the fork insert, contact wherever or whomever you got it from. I did have a look at your detailed pics on Photobucket and if you look closely at the lower bearing there almost appears to be some particle of metal or soemthing in the lower right. So make sure there isn't anything in between the bearing and the fork crown. But a gap similar to what you are showing is perfectly normal. And the thin metal shins, if needed, can be obtained at any bike shop, just ask if you need any. Maybe just get one to out on top f the plastic compression ring before you start adding spacers or the stem.

I bought it from WestbrookCycles, but they didn't check the frame spares so the miss some stuff and i try to find out my self what is missing and what i need for build up.
The fork insert or fork compressor as i find it on net, it's available in local bikeshops for 1 1/8 fork carbon that colnago has so it's ok, i just hope it works and doesn't need exactly the same compressor.

i highlighted one of your sentence that i do not understand. Is it possible for you to show me in the picture what do you mean?

joeyb1000 wrote:Yes, on my C60, there is no lower crown race. On the top, it's bearing, plastic sleeve, one thin metal spacer then the top cover.

Thanks for the answer, i was trying to find some people who had v1-r or c60 to ask about that, i miss that metal spacer but i guess isn't big deal the LBS will have some.

ianSWBB wrote:Calnago is correct!

'There is nothing wrong with his setup' - although for sure, he's going to need the fork bung and top cap!!
:D

regards
ianSWBB

Fortunately the top cap is the easiest part i guess :D

garypremo

by garypremo

Thanks to pdiomidis and Calnago. At first I didn't install the plastic ring for the upper headset. It didn't look like a serious bike part, more like packaging material! I was worried when there was play in the steerer tube, so I came to good old WW and this article set me straight. Now the steerer is nice and snug with only a light tightening of the top cap.

I am brand new to WW but I have already found several articles that were spot on in addressing my questions.
2016 Colnago C60 PLWH 61 CM Traditional Geometry

nobrakes71

by nobrakes71

Reviving this thread as I can't find anything else on the interwebs to shed light on the following:

I'm too building a C60 but my fork has a metal crown race that I can insert on the bottom, and not the bare carbon as in the first picture the OP uploaded.

I'm wondering if this is becuase my c60 is one of the first batches?
IMG_20190602_103757.jpg
And this is the gap that I have when the fork is inserted:
IMG_20190602_104228.jpg
Lastly, I also don't have the thin metal shin that is supposed to go on top of the plastic compression ring on the top of the headtube. How do I find out if I really need one? Is the metal shin supposed to stop the tall plastic cap to rub on the headtube?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You’re good with the headset, yes, that’s how the very early ones were. The gap is fine. The shim(s) can be used to make sure there’s no rub with the top cap and the top of the headset cup and I’ve only ever used just the one, cuz it’s there. It’d be easy to get another one. One may provide a bit of cushion between the headset and spacers in much the same way the little Teflon shim does that is supplied with Chris King headsets. You’re not going to hurt anything if you don’t use it but it’s easy to add it if you find one later. Don’t let it hold up your build however.

nobrakes71

by nobrakes71

Thanks for the speedy response @Calnago, much appreciated.

I'm having a lot of trouble with the plastic compression ring, it's super tight to get in and I broke 2 already already in the process. Have another spare 2 that Acros kindly posted to me.

Any tips on how to fit the plastic compression without damaging it?

I'm also referring to your C60 build masterclass in the other thread, super helpful.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

There are two versions of the Delrin compression rings. One is beveled, the other isn’t. It should match your top bearing. Either way, just take your time with the compression ring. It’s important for it not to be cockeyed going in. Keep it straight. Lube it with grease. Then, with it resting on top of the bearing with steertube in place, just take a teeny flat screwdriver, or anything flat, that you can use to sort of push down very gradually around the circumference ensuring that the edge is “just barely started” before moving to the next section. Once started it’s just a matter of going all around and pushing down with the flat part of the screwdriver (holing it perpendicular to the steertube). Be patient and it will go in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com