Venge Vias Disk is here....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mile2424

by mile2424

thumper88 wrote:
topflightpro wrote:Specialized is claiming the disc version is no more than 4 seconds slower over 40k. And the frame weights 100g less than the rim brake version - I assume some of those 100 grams include the rim brakes.

Still, it's a pretty heavy bike, with the S-Works coming in 17.1 pounds with Di2 and Quarq.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/rev ... icycling__

One of the reviews says Specialized engineers claim the disc bike can be built up at 15.4 lbs... I'd like to know the build details on that.
That unlabelled chart of the aero comparison is like something Trump would use to sell condos.
And let’s explore pricing. To keep it simple, just the S-Works frameset at $4,200 vs the rim-brake “module” at $6,200.
How in hell is a set of bars, a stem (no matter how fancy) and pair of brake calipers (calipers that are known to be substandard, even with the new fixes) worth $2,000?
I know there are tweaks to the rim brake frame and more carbon in it, about $40 worth plus some labor. But still.
And better yet, let’s compare the disc brake frame at $4,200 to the first generation S-works frameset they are still selling apparently at a profit for $2,000 retail.
So it costs like, $2,200 to add disc mounts and thru-axles to a frame that otherwise is essentially constructed the same?
The products are good, the engineering is good, but Specialized’s marketing is a hype machine and its pricing is extortionate. Company is run like a freaking pirate ship.
The frame is worth about $2,500, the bars $275, the stem, I dunno $140.

Yeah I would be interested in hearing how they can be built up to be 15.4 lbs.

With that being said on the rim brake version, I have wondered why they couldn't make the brake fairings out of carbon to save weight, as well as the stem. I know some people prefer aluminum stems for the stiffness, but curious how much weight both of those in carbon could have saved.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

Spec seems to drop the price on new tech as it ages, look at the msrp for the original Venge over the years as an example. I wonder if 15.4lbs is using mech disc brakes and sram red / etap

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

topflightpro wrote:Specialized is claiming the disc version is no more than 4 seconds slower over 40k. And the frame weights 100g less than the rim brake version - I assume some of those 100 grams include the rim brakes.

Still, it's a pretty heavy bike, with the S-Works coming in 17.1 pounds with Di2 and Quarq.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/rev ... icycling__

This is so typical, and completely expected. I'm so tired of hearing how marginal gains are so so important, and every millisecond they can squeeze out translates to a millisecond at the line... blah blah blah. Yet, as soon as something they produce goes the other way, they describe it as "no more than 4 seconds slower" essentially trying to make you believe that 4 seconds is nothing. And I agree, it isn't. But if they're going to have you believe that a 4 second time difference is huge if its saved, then they can't be implying it's hardly anything when it's added back on, which is exactly what they're trying to do. It's quite laughable. Yet, people, especially those new to cycling just seem to suck it up without question. Just my observation. The whole Venge Vias thing has been a debacle from the beginning. And it doesn't seem to be getting better.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

prebsy

by prebsy

A four second slower vias is still a very fast bike. A disc vias is still as aero as an S5 or Madone 9, and now cheaper. This seems like an easy decision to me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jeffy

by jeffy

Nefarious86 wrote:Why? Plenty of hub options and a decent chainline solution for short stays....

well for one, you can't use your wheelsets (rear wheels if you don't mind non match matchy) with any other bike.

kgt

by kgt

Calnago wrote:This is so typical, and completely expected. I'm so tired of hearing how marginal gains are so so important, and every millisecond they can squeeze out translates to a millisecond at the line... blah blah blah. Yet, as soon as something they produce goes the other way, they describe it as "no more than 4 seconds slower" essentially trying to make you believe that 4 seconds is nothing.

+1 but you see there are already people that beliveve all Specialized's claims.

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

They can't say: New Vias is 5 seconds slower then previous model...but it has disc brakes:)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

bikemaniack wrote:They can't say: New Vias is 5 seconds slower then previous model...but it has disc brakes:)

They did say that ?

But also stated it's essentially the same ..

The push for disk bikes will be braking modulation and that you can make up the lost time by braking later in turns on descents .. See cannondales ads for Evo disk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Bjobjo

by Bjobjo

Looks like there will be an even more expensive model. Hope they shave off a lot of wheight and dont just improve stiffness.
Attachments
image.jpeg

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Bjobjo wrote:Looks like there will be an even more expensive model. Hope they shave off a lot of wheight and dont just improve stiffness.

Isn't it going to be a tarmac with thru-axles?

Bjobjo

by Bjobjo

If that would be true I would definately buy one. The scs shit really put me of. To me disc bikes (road or mtb) need thru axles. I just wonder why nobody uses tune's qc12. It was exclusive for haibike in 2016 but now everybody can use it. And it is a lot faster than even quick releases

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Maybe it will be Vias McLaren Disc

mile2424

by mile2424

I'd love to see a McLaren version, but 99% sure it's the new Roubaix

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

My guess is the weight of 15.4lbs was with Tubulars. I had my rim ViAS close to that with old pre-FC404 tubies. Once upon a time I had a Cervelo S2 with the same wheels built down to 12.9lbs, and I can honestly say I have no intention of going back. The stiffness, and subsequent cornering confidence is much improved. Higher average speeds are attained all the time as well. I've always been on board with the aero science. While disc brakes will benefit some riders in some situations. I'm fine with sticking to the rim version.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Is there a reason Vias comes with thru-axle and every single single Tarmac from 2017 models comes with QR? Not to mention none of them have new RS505 or RS805 flat mount?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com