Venge Vias Disk is here....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Hollow NDS crank arm too. New version of the cranks?
Using Tapatalk

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Does anyone have any info on that new S-Works crankset?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

bas wrote:Haven't read entire thread but reports from 2017 dealer show is that all Specialized road bikes will be disc only next year. Obviously they know something we don't regarding discs and racing.

This is not true.

AW84

by AW84

Nefarious86 wrote:Hollow NDS crank arm too. New version of the cranks?

First thing I noticed. Wonder if it will still require a proprietary tool (that only a dealer can buy) to take it apart. That fact alone would be nice, but then again, it would cost less to have my own tool made than to buy a new $500 crankset.

Kongbop

by Kongbop

Finally the brake setting problems goes out..
But, I love my aeroad

bas

by bas

SLCBrandon wrote:
bas wrote:Haven't read entire thread but reports from 2017 dealer show is that all Specialized road bikes will be disc only next year. Obviously they know something we don't regarding discs and racing.

This is not true.

Good, sounded a bit unusual. Maybe in 12 months though...

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

142 rear thru axle.
All the Vias are disc only last years will offer rim brakes I guess when those are gone so are rim brakes. They still have tarmacs with rim brakes and no more Dsw Allez only the Dsw Allez sprint for next year.

jeffy

by jeffy

1swiftvelo wrote:142 rear thru axle.

what? no SCS 135x12?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

AW84 wrote:

First thing I noticed. Wonder if it will still require a proprietary tool (that only a dealer can buy) to take it apart. That fact alone would be nice, but then again, it would cost less to have my own tool made than to buy a new $500 crankset.

Find a different dealer... The bike should come with it (my tarmac disc did) and it's supplied with every crankset. Not impossible for a shop to get you one.

All the Vias are disc only last years will offer rim brakes I guess when those are gone so are rim brakes. They still have tarmacs with rim brakes and no more Dsw Allez only the Dsw Allez sprint for next year.

Where was this stated? Till the UCI allows discs they would be doing themselves out of a useable platform in doing so.
Using Tapatalk

thumper88

by thumper88

I'll be in the minority and say i like the looks better than the 1st version. The weight issue is not better but is the same. Im ambivalent about discs... if everyone is kind of forced to ride them eventually, at that point they make sense on an aero bike but not until then. and that time is at least 5 years away and prob more.
If the bike was so magical that it could still be faster than everything out there with the discs... great, but that isn't true.
I don't give two figs about the looks, if the bike is effective, and the cost isn't extortionate, that goes a long way. But this is a lot of money, with or without the discs, for a heavy bike that is not really faster than its two or three best (and lighter rivals).
I mean, if I were to do lot of riding in the mountains, I'd want discs, sure. But I also would NOT want a 17-pound bike. SO you have two conflicts going on here - weight vs the utility of the discs, and aero vs utility of the discs. I don't see it working out in a logical way as something people should purchase except for that handful of people that are just ape over discs to the point it outweighs logic for them... or if UCI bows to the pressure from the likes of specialized and racers go discs. But for now....
Back to the drawing board guys. Bring me a no disc version with a 1000 gram frame for 30 percent less money and you may actually sell a few, like the old Venge when it first came out.

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

Nefarious86 wrote:
AW84 wrote:

Find a different dealer... The bike should come with it (my tarmac disc did) and it's supplied with every crankset. Not impossible for a shop to get you one.

Where was this stated? Till the UCI allows discs they would be doing themselves out of a useable platform in doing so.

It's in the dealer catalog. All discs models are 142 crux as well. I'll look at the Tarmac tomorrow.

jeffy

by jeffy

i would be pissed if i had a SCS bike.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Why? Plenty of hub options and a decent chainline solution for short stays....
Using Tapatalk

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Specialized is claiming the disc version is no more than 4 seconds slower over 40k. And the frame weights 100g less than the rim brake version - I assume some of those 100 grams include the rim brakes.

Still, it's a pretty heavy bike, with the S-Works coming in 17.1 pounds with Di2 and Quarq.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/rev ... icycling__

thumper88

by thumper88

topflightpro wrote:Specialized is claiming the disc version is no more than 4 seconds slower over 40k. And the frame weights 100g less than the rim brake version - I assume some of those 100 grams include the rim brakes.

Still, it's a pretty heavy bike, with the S-Works coming in 17.1 pounds with Di2 and Quarq.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/rev ... icycling__

One of the reviews says Specialized engineers claim the disc bike can be built up at 15.4 lbs... I'd like to know the build details on that.
That unlabelled chart of the aero comparison is like something Trump would use to sell condos.
And let’s explore pricing. To keep it simple, just the S-Works frameset at $4,200 vs the rim-brake “module” at $6,200.
How in hell is a set of bars, a stem (no matter how fancy) and pair of brake calipers (calipers that are known to be substandard, even with the new fixes) worth $2,000?
I know there are tweaks to the rim brake frame and more carbon in it, about $40 worth plus some labor. But still.
And better yet, let’s compare the disc brake frame at $4,200 to the first generation S-works frameset they are still selling apparently at a profit for $2,000 retail.
So it costs like, $2,200 to add disc mounts and thru-axles to a frame that otherwise is essentially constructed the same?
The products are good, the engineering is good, but Specialized’s marketing is a hype machine and its pricing is extortionate. Company is run like a freaking pirate ship.
The frame is worth about $2,500, the bars $275, the stem, I dunno $140.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com