Venge Vias Disk is here....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Broady

by Broady

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

mile2424 wrote:With the 2017 dealer events going on, pics are starting to surface....

Oh that first picture is pure - horrible!!!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

kgt wrote:Aero frame with disc brakes. Ok...
I am sure that they will 'prove' that this is actually even faster because with disc brakes you break later, maintain higher speeds for longer etc. etc. so you will end up gaining 2min over a 80km course.

aerodynamics save more time at slower speeds than at faster speeds, so by making the bike less aerodynamic, they are lessening the time-benefit gap for faster riders!

win-win!

reknop

by reknop

Calnago wrote:Aero meets discs, they really did it... talk about an identity crisis. I'm aero! But wait, I have disc brakes, and they're not aero. Look away, I'm hideous... Still.

I'm curious if Specialized did some proper market research !
Can't imagine there is a huge market for a bike with these specs. Identity crisis is even an understatement.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

GT8

by GT8

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

haha^...

Anyway, one of the heaviest aero bikes gets heavier...gheez. This is weight weenies..not aero weenies.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

What if it wasn't heavier?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

SLCBrandon wrote:What if it wasn't heavier?

Afraid it wouldn't matter, at least for me. It's not the weight.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Calnago wrote:

Afraid it wouldn't matter, at least for me. It's not the weight.

This is the first thread or time you've ever made that known. #newdevelopment :lol:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

:) I think you mean it's "not" the first time, right? I dunno... I just think it's one fugly bike and I've certainly made my disdain for the original brake design known before. Then to throw disc brakes on the thing... [insert head banging on desk gif here].
But to each his own. #justsilly
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Doesn't matter to me personally. I would never own one of these ugly things. Don't care about discs either. I live in FL, we don't have braking issues here.

But this so-called aero bike, with a disc, nullifies likely most any aero gain they claimed over the old Venge with that disc hanging off the sides of the wheels. That is proven already.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I don't often find threads interesting for bikes I have no intentions of ever buying, but to each their own.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

What about aero?! Will we see a true apples to apples disc vs rim test (the Tarmac win tunnel one had terrible protocol)?

I'm actually curious about it, Damon Rinard hinted that freeing up the fork crown area from the constraints of having a brake there opened up some opportunities, but then the Vias already creatively took advantage of the brake placement to get a pseudo super long chord right at the front where it counts most. But then the brake is also creates a super long tunnel-esque thing, so I wonder if there's problems with air churning through there? :noidea:

All I'm saying is that it would be super cool to see a test :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

reknop wrote:
Calnago wrote:Aero meets discs, they really did it... talk about an identity crisis. I'm aero! But wait, I have disc brakes, and they're not aero. Look away, I'm hideous... Still.

I'm curious if Specialized did some proper market research !
Can't imagine there is a huge market for a bike with these specs. Identity crisis is even an understatement.

It's simple. Let's say you have gazillion dollars and ready to buy the BESTEST bike on the market. Although your buddies on the way to the coffeeshop said that discs brake better. Problem solved! Now you don't have to buy the cheaper (and therefore lamer) tarmac disc.