Stages Carbon 30mm Sram spindle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

I recently got a Stages Carbon crank arm to go on the Sram X0 (actually a Specialized branded version) for my Epic MTB.
Stages supply a spindle and the NDS crank arm, you use the DS crank arm+spider from the old crank.

The problem I have is that the spindle is slightly too large for the BB bearings. I tried installing it and could get it in a few mm but it wasn't getting easier and I was already using a rubber faced hammer to do it. It's taking way too much force. I think that hammering it in will ruin the bearings and possibly damage the frame. It's not the bearings- the Sram spindle slips in with a couple taps of my hand. I checked with some other BB30 bearings and they're really tight too.

I've emailed Stages support but their response was underwhelming.

Has anyone here installed this part? If so how'd it go for you?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I'm having difficulty understanding what you are trying to point out. would you be so kind to share a picture of both situations and systems with us?
The short answer would be: try putting the spindle in the freezer for 20 mins and they give it another shot.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Your short answer shows that you understood the problem. There's an interference fit between the Stages spindle and bearing ID that should be a close slip fit. The part about which arm goes on the spindle with the Sram and Stages arms was immaterial and I should have left it out.

I'm hesitant to use the freezer trick because it'll be just as difficult to remove the spindle, should I need to.

natefontaine

by natefontaine

To remove, use compressed air, upsidedown to freeze the spindle