anyone use this aero bottle cage?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

i been using profile design RM1 on my TMR02. many have mentioned about bottle ejection.. but last weekend on a very bumpy descent.. one of my camelbak 25oz bottle flew out and roll down the cliff. the second one later ejected.. but i was able to stop and pick it back up as it was on the side of the road.

this weekend on the same climb.. i saw two guy climbed up in their specialized TT bike with something that looks like this:

Specialized Reserve Rack II
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/acces ... -ii/107003

just when i could ask them if they have bottle ejection issues.. they turn around and went back down. the way the bottle looked behind their saddle was almost parallel to the ground, but slightly pointed upwards.

anyone used something like this for a rear saddle mount without losing their bottles?

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Works well with an elite cage.
Have since used it without the velcro.
Using Tapatalk

Grill

by Grill

I'd suggest using Xlab Gorilla cages I'd you want to hold on to your bottles.

mimason

by mimason

You may need to do a couple things. The XLAB mentioned are good cages but you also want to use wider diameter bottles for a snugger fit. Camelback bottles are too smooth and skinny.

I had a rear bottle set up on my tt bike with the xlabs and bottles still launch but setting up the angle and selecting the right bottles will make a big improvement.

Tip: when you go over a big bump slide back to touch the bottles with your butt to keep secure.

Oh, and drink the rear bottles first. They wont launch when empty.
Last edited by mimason on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks guys.. yea i'm playing around with the angles on the Profile Design RM1... but it's quite heavy.. 190g. :(

not sure how heavy the specialized version is with 2 cages.

Nefarious86: which bottle did you use and which part do you have to use velcro? do you have the weight of the setup? Specialized didn't post up any weights. thanks.

addictR1

by addictR1

crap.. just found out from LBS that specialized setup needs SWAT. i have an older romin evo pro that doesn't have that. :(

here's another one i was looking at to replace the profile design RM1:

XLab Delta Mini Wing System Dual Rear Mount System

this seems to mount the bottle closer so if i scoot backward on the saddle it should push against the bottle.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

There's a SWAT version (newer) and an older version that just clamps to the saddle rails.

addictR1

by addictR1

Anyone know if the specialized one is made of metal for the mounts? I just picked up a bontrager rear saddle cage to try... It's similar to specialized so hopefully no ejections. But bad part is bontrager version is made of plastics... [emoji31]

Waiting for my LBS to order the specialized version for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

It's cast alloy. Has provisions to mount one center bottle or 2 side by side. 97g with the 4 suppled screws and a standard elite cage.
Using Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

Thanks Nefarious86. I ordered just the mount without cages. Bought Gorilla XT cages instead. Will try out the Bontrager first, but the way it flexes I'm thinking it'll launch.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I just love how it screws into the saddle with no messing about, doesnt flex and barely gets in the way on the Epic (may be a different story if I didnt have the dropper or ran 2 cages) Will run it on my tt bike for training rides too.
Using Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

Nefarious86: sweet.. mikes bike called me and told me the one i ordered only supports 1 bottle cage, so changed my order to 2 bottle cage. now just need to wait for delivery as it's a special order.

the bontrager one i picked up yesterday is going back. looks too wobbly...

addictR1

by addictR1

got the gorilla XT cages from Merlin and it was rock solid! matched up to the specialized reserve rack2, the unit kicks ass!

just in case.. i was able to find these bottles that had the same squirt top as camelbak podium bottles.

http://bit.ly/2a1jWf4

pretty sweet for $12.19 after discount for 2 bottles. :)

peted76

by peted76

Can anyone help me, I 'spotted' this giant bottle on a pic but I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere or any reference to it?
Attachments
giantaerobottle.png

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I use the S-Works aero bottle and cage. It's great system if 1 dedicated bottle works for you.