How can a seatstay get cracked? Pics!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks for the doom guys.. appreciated :( :D

Sent an email to the retailer I bought it from with pics after speaking to them on the phone. Still a part of me is hoping they'll say it's actually okay either from pics or after an inspection (it would have to shipped back to them in Newcastle, I'm in Edinburgh).

If not then.. I'll be without a ride.. in summer, for weeks, while Bianchi decide what to do with it.

Been upgrading it bit by bit since I got it and just finished two weeks ago. Mustn't have paid enough tribute to the Gods.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

1 for the house insurance?
Looks like something has been dropped on it, something in the garage maybe?
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

I've known several local riders that have ridden months with a seat stay cracks. As mentioned its not the meat of the frame. If you really want to ride then ride it but just ride it smoothly and avoid sprinting and potholes etc I'd probably tape it up a bit too until you are willing to part with it for a permanent fix.

This is why everyone and spouses needs to learn about N+1.

hanzo111

by hanzo111

I wouldn't ride it. My s-works did that resulting from a car impact, fixed it at Spyder composites in CA. It's solid now and I can't see the repair.

Subsequently, I also went down on my oltre, I think Bianchi Carbon is like dry ply wood!! I had 7 cracks in total, all cracks were splintering and dry, most probably from the "special" carbon they employ.

The damage on the surface only tells a small story of what is going on inside the crack. Have it repaired by a shop with an x-Ray to make sure the damage is truly repaired.

Regards
:D

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah I do have the bike insured so.. worst case scenario I can go down that route. Waiting to hear from the retailer at the moment after they look over the close ups, then decide if it's going back under warranty or I'm on my own for repair or insurance job..

Weather's really good here tomorrow, really want to ride it then, but am put off a bit now.

Edit: Does the tapping thing with a coin really work? What if I tap the areas and the sound is the same.. means it should be fine?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So, has anyone ever had their damaged bike actually X-rayed to check on actual damage. No shops do that. I'm not sure even Calfee does that. I believe they will repair something but won't provide a definitive pre-repair opinion of safe/not safe. And I get that. Saying something is "safe" only to have someone go off and crash because well, it wasn't safe, may open them up to all kinds of liability.
I'm interested in this because I really would like to get my chainstay scanned by X-ray or whatever means available to know exactly what happened on impact. I'm pretty sure it's ok but being "pretty sure" is also a synonym for "I have no clue but I'm hoping it's ok" :).
So if anyone has actually had their frame xrayed or whatever, I'd really like to know where you can get this done. I've done the coin test and there is a very small spot that definitely has a different sound, and it's such a small spot that I'm not too worried, but I'd just like to be able to know definitively what damage was sustained and then be able to make up my own mind whether to repair or if it's ok.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

androidavies

by androidavies

From the photos I'd certainly concur with all the opinions expressed here.

In Edinburgh, if you want to bring it by The Bicycleworks, I'll look at it "in the flesh", and probably confirm what we're all thinking....
There are a number of carbon frame repairers in the UK, I've seen some very nice work by them. Carbonbikerepair are one we've used for similar damage.
I'd be surprised if you're offered a warranty repair, but that'd be a great result!

I've seen x-rays of a carbon fork. The x-ray came with the Colnago frame and fork. I think you'd really need a before and after set, so any change in the structure would be visible after a crash. I've read that thermal imaging could be the way to go, in order to highlight delaminating hotspots. Maybe those thermal imagers being used in Le Tour will throw up some unexpected results!

Good luck with the possible warranty.

Andrew.

Shrike

by Shrike

Had a go at the coin tap test now and yes, it's a dull sound on that area. Retailer got back to me saying yes it looks like an impact but they've forwarded pics to Bianchi for their opinion anyway. (Read: no chance)

@ Andrew Thanks! Will pop in if the guys I bought it of don't deliver..

Need a drink :(

hanzo111

by hanzo111

Calnago wrote:So, has anyone ever had their damaged bike actually X-rayed to check on actual damage. No shops do that. I'm not sure even Calfee does that. I believe they will repair something but won't provide a definitive pre-repair opinion of safe/not safe. And I get that. Saying something is "safe" only to have someone go off and crash because well, it wasn't safe, may open them up to all kinds of liability.
I'm interested in this because I really would like to get my chainstay scanned by X-ray or whatever means available to know exactly what happened on impact. I'm pretty sure it's ok but being "pretty sure" is also a synonym for "I have no clue but I'm hoping it's ok" :).
So if anyone has actually had their frame xrayed or whatever, I'd really like to know where you can get this done. I've done the coin test and there is a very small spot that definitely has a different sound, and it's such a small spot that I'm not too worried, but I'd just like to be able to know definitively what damage was sustained and then be able to make up my own mind whether to repair or if it's ok.

Yes, I have had my bikes X-rayed. http://spydercomposites.com/cutting-edge-technology/
You can also see here on you tube real time x-ray in use on a fork. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCTQRfGUzFA
The cost was $170.00 to have my seat stay repaired, x-rayed and painted on my S-Works. Why would anyone invoke their home owners insurance for a repair on on a seat stay? They might raise your rate for filing a claim. Carbon repair is fast and cheap and reliable.

https://www.facebook.com/spydercomposites

Regards,

Hanzo
:D

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I'm with the others on here. Don't worry about being without a bike 'if you send it off', you already are without a bike.

The good news is that I know someone who had a frame repaired and it's still going strong 4-5 years later so done right, repair is an option and that location should be easy to work on.

Shrike

by Shrike

Here's my main problem.. I still don't know how it broke. My confidence in the frame is non-existent now. Even considering moving brand over this.

Bianchi said no, they won't cover it and offered a discounted frame at £2080 (2600-20%). I actually don't want a frame repair from insurance, if I repaired it, I'd just eBay it afterwards and wouldn't use insurance to cover that amount anyway (£200 - £300 I'm guessing?). If I knew how it snapped that would be a different story entirely, but to get a random issue like that after a casual ride with the missus.. seriously way out of my range of expectations for a £2600 frame.

Options now are get a replacement from insurance, though not sure I trust they will, they need a report saying frame needs replaced, or pay for a repair myself and flog the frame on eBay, not sure how much I'll get for it though being a repaired frame.

Maybe buy a second hand Cervelo frame or something afterwards..

kgt

by kgt

A 'second hand Cervelo' is not the wiser choise if you are looking for something more durable than your Bianchi.

Gavf

by Gavf

Your frame is a write off, so you need a new frame, quickly, affordably and great quality.

Get a Hongfu FM-066

The lesson you have learnt here is the same one lot's of us have gone through, big brand frames are not worth the money any more in this day and age, no carbon frameset on this planet is worth any where near two grand, the only people who will tell you otherwise are consumerist's, people who are slaves to brands and people who have already spent that much on a frameset anyway.

kgt

by kgt

So you suggest him to get a lower quality frame since he broke his Bianchi? Sorry but if that's your conclusion, I totally disagree.
High quality carbon frames still exist. Maybe Bianchi is no longer among them but compare a Hongfu FM-066 to a Time Skylon, a Colnago C60 or even a Giant TCR and then we talk.

Shrike

by Shrike

@kgt I'm a sucker for Bianchi and Cervelo styling. I tried to be sensible going for the Infinito CV, thought it would be a tough bit of kit, especially seeing the pros thrash it over cobbles. I'm 80 to 85kg though so maybe that changes things.

@Gavf need to look that up, and get a lot of feedback first. If a bike is reasonably light and looks good then I'm pretty much sold. Everything else is a bonus. Thanks, will search for it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com