How can a seatstay get cracked? Pics!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

Shrike wrote:@kgt I'm a sucker for Bianchi and Cervelo styling. I tried to be sensible going for the Infinito CV, thought it would be a tough bit of kit, especially seeing the pros thrash it over cobbles. I'm 80 to 85kg though so maybe that changes things.

That doesn't change things because there is no way you broke that by riding it, it was definitely hit by something.

xena
Banned

by xena

Get the frame repaired. Its not a tough job and it will be good as new.
In the mean time why not pick up a cheap frame on Ebay while its being fixed so your up and riding.
Your frame took a impact , something hit it quite hard to do that amount of damage. I Would not make a issue out of it, just get back on your bike ASAP and don't think so much.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

That frame didn't "just break". Its not because its a Bianchi. Something hit it, and hard. Likely before your casual ride, maybe wherever you store it, and you didn't notice it. Have kids?

Not trying to be harsh, but that kind of damage doesn't just occur on its own.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

topflightpro

by topflightpro

glepore wrote:That frame didn't "just break". Its not because its a Bianchi. Something hit it, and hard. Likely before your casual ride, maybe wherever you store it, and you didn't notice it. Have kids?

Not trying to be harsh, but that kind of damage doesn't just occur on its own.

I concur.

Gavf

by Gavf

kgt wrote:High quality carbon frames still exist. Maybe Bianchi is no longer among them but compare a Hongfu FM-066 to a Time Skylon, a Colnago C60 or even a Giant TCR and then we talk.

Go on then, educate me carbon frame master.

I am ex pro (not that good, many years ago) and have at least 15+ carbon bikes in my garage, how do you determine a "high quality carbo frame"

?

pushstart

by pushstart

My Hongfu FM-079 is a brilliant frame. And the too-large FM-166 before that was maybe even a bit better. (I am a sucker for disc brakes.) I have no opinion on whether those carbon frames are superior of inferior to bigger-name frames, but at $600 shipped it is pretty hard to argue they aren't great value. It is not my daily rider, but I have 6k miles on mine without any complaints. I suspect attention to detail and QC is a little lower (e.g. one of my cable stop grommets wasn't quite sitting flush until I cleaned up the frame hole a bit), but not the sort of thing I'd pay 3x as much for.

Certainly this is worth considering if you are looking for a cheaper replacement frame, even temporary. And the FM-066 in particular is very well respected; it is definitely what I would recommend to someone -- or get myself if I was ever in the market for a rim-brake frame.

But to some folks the brand is important and I can't really fault that. I like the idea of building up an old-school steel Colnago someday, for example, and wouldn't consider subbing in just any arbitrary steel frame that I found for 1/8th the price.

superdx

by superdx

Maybe it got hit awhile ago and you just noticed it now? A chain stay wouldn't crack like that under an easy ride. Not implying anything at all, but are you sure it's not a counterfeit frame?

Oswald

by Oswald

As has been said before, this is definately impact damage.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

In the time this thread has been going on, the frame could have been sent off, repaired professionally, paint matched and returned for rebuild.
I had a similar break on my Canyon a while back. I stripped the frame down, boxed it, sent it to the UK for professional repair and was riding it again within a month.
The repair was peanuts cost wise and I honestly cannot tell where the patchwork/repaint was actually done.
Just rode the Maratona dles Dolomites on that frame and it has thousands of hard kms in it since the repair.

mimason

by mimason

You have the opportunity to get two bikes even if the spouse is not 100% for it. It's the perfect coup unless you are bound by financial reasons.

Fix the Bianci while opting for a 'new' bike then keep the old bike for your second one. Frames don't just spontaneously assplode so it got hit somehow. Fix it and ride it. Bye, this is getting old.

Shrike

by Shrike

Stolichnaya wrote:In the time this thread has been going on, the frame could have been sent off, repaired professionally, paint matched and returned for rebuild.
I had a similar break on my Canyon a while back. I stripped the frame down, boxed it, sent it to the UK for professional repair and was riding it again within a month.
The repair was peanuts cost wise and I honestly cannot tell where the patchwork/repaint was actually done.
Just rode the Maratona dles Dolomites on that frame and it has thousands of hard kms in it since the repair.

Within a month?

But this thread was started four days ago :lol:

Hoisted by your own petard there!

Jesting, I know what you mean. The situation isn't so simple, clearly the first step is to enquire about warranty and canvas opinions about what happened to it. Sure, if I crashed the bike, or knew how the damage was caused then I could have skipped all that. Anyway the carbon repair guys in the UK who we would both use are fully booked right now anyway. Couldn't even start a repair anytime this month.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Gavf wrote:
kgt wrote:High quality carbon frames still exist. Maybe Bianchi is no longer among them but compare a Hongfu FM-066 to a Time Skylon, a Colnago C60 or even a Giant TCR and then we talk.

Go on then, educate me carbon frame master.

I am ex pro (not that good, many years ago) and have at least 15+ carbon bikes in my garage, how do you determine a "high quality carbo frame"

?

I work with an ex pro who's highly regarded and when it comes to bikes he's pretty clueless.
Where I work I'm around some very good pro riders and in general their knowledge and feel of bikes no better than a good weight weenies members. I never understand all the love for ex pro's when it comes to bikes, they generally ride just the very best and have them all set up for them.
They have no need to go out of their way to study all the subtle bits of bikes like weenies members.
I'm sure some pro's do but I can only think of one who I know of.

As far as no such thing as a quality carbon frame that's complete idiocy.
Anyone can feel the difference between a €300 carbon frame and a €3000 frame.
I had the misfortune to spend 6 months working for a company who sold 250-350 cheap carbon bikes a week, they were flex you, above advertised weights and often had design flaws.
I know there are some very good open open mould frames out there but I can't imagine they ride like a top end Giant, Trek, Cannondale etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

What's the place down in Norfolk? They are the official repair place for most of the big brands in the uk. Turn around is usually a couple of weeks. Depending on how busy they are!

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Don't ride it....get it repaired. It shouldn't take that long to fix that and you will not miss the summer riding.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Send it to Team Sky, I hear they're rather knowledgable about seatstay repairs... :lol: