How can a seatstay get cracked? Pics!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Noticed this today after a casual ride with the missus. Looks like a crack. It goes along three sides which is why I'm worried it's not something superficial. Pics aren't great but maybe they can give some idea.. Cracks don't seem deep, but still worrying. How could a crack like this happen, haven't crashed it and only have around 1000 miles on it since purchased at the end of May.

wingguy

by wingguy

That does absolutely look like impact damage. You may not have crashed, but something or someone has hit it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addict

by addict

I saw such thing when a 140kg guy rode scott scale sl in the woods.. :(

kode54

by kode54

or something dropped on it while in the house...you not knowing it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Oswald

by Oswald

Yep, something hit it. Maybe the kids played around in when it was in the garage?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Were they transported to where you and your wife road, on the back of a car rack or on top of each other somehow that might have allowed your wife's bike pedal to hit the stay during the trip? Certainly looks like something caused it versus a beneath the paint flaw that came to surface.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

xena
Banned

by xena

Bummer, but you could easily get it fixed . Check your nearest carbon repair shop. You could contact Bianchi but it may be quicker just to get it fixed.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah an impact was my first thought too and grilled the missus, but now I'm at a loss. Just two of us here and I haven't transported it. Just a big ride yesterday which was pretty mucky and wet, stone chips kicking up. And then today a really easy ride.

Cleaned the bike thoroughly last night after the big ride and didn't notice it, so it must have happened today at some point. Bit stunned.

Is it still okay to ride?

Shrike

by Shrike

Thing is, if I send it off for repair then I'll be without a bike all summer. Gutted! Any way I can self test it for integrity at home?

Other thing is, I don't want to take it to some dodgy repair shop who'll tell me I need some bugger job than I really do (had that with my car twice here).

wingguy

by wingguy

addict wrote:I saw such thing when a 140kg guy rode scott scale sl in the woods.. :(

Holy shit that was optimistic! :lol:

wingguy

by wingguy

Shrike wrote:Thing is, if I send it off for repair then I'll be without a bike all summer. Gutted! Any way I can self test it for integrity at home?

Other thing is, I don't want to take it to some dodgy repair shop who'll tell me I need some bugger job than I really do (had that with my car twice here).

Chainstays are where most of the strength is these days. I did something practically identical to my Zero.7 in a crash and rode it hard for several months after unti the end of summer.

As always though, YMMV.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha!... that's a lot easier for anyone on the internet to answer, since we're not going to ride it. Best to use your own judgment on that one. Can you open up the crack at all by pushing each side of the stay? Take it back to the shop where they can have a good look at it. Maybe, since it's fairly new, the manufacturer will warranty it out of goodwill. Worth a shot. Otherwise, it's a pretty easy repair for someone like Calfee to do I would think.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I actually suffered a crash not long ago and on closer inspection of my bike looks like the left chainstay took an impact. I'm thinking of taking my bike along to my final collar bone x-ray, and saying "pretty sure I'm fine, so could I use this last x-ray opportunity on my chainstay?... Pleeease."

xena
Banned

by xena

Shrike wrote:Thing is, if I send it off for repair then I'll be without a bike all summer. Gutted! Any way I can self test it for integrity at home?

You are taking a risk riding it. I don't feel its anyone's place to say its OK to ride because if it fails and you have a bad crash then its you who gets hurt.
Is it worth chatting to the bike shop where you bought the bike, maybe they have something you could use for while if you go down the crash replacement route.
Do Bianchi do that?
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

You've had it essentially a month and a half. While it does look like an impact, you should take it to the shop or speak to the manufacturer. See what they can do. What do you have to loose?

Certainly you will loose more if it fails completely on a 70kmph descent. :)

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk