New winter bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spliid

by spliid

Hi there,

Im about to buy a new winter bike but need to hear some experiences and have a discussion on the bikes.

It will must likely hit the road the most but the plan is also to try this cyclocross out 8), hence it should be able to handle both. When training on the road the mates likes loooong fenders also :D .

I think Im down to these:
- Caad12 disc with ultegra
- Mares CX/AX but with this probably only 105/apex

Any suggestions and experiences from people actually doing both? It would be much appreciated.

Thx in advance

Junior7

by Junior7

For this I am thinking of the cannondale synapse.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

forum04pl

by forum04pl

I own a CAAD and love it personally, but don't know too much about the 12 as far as CX capabilities and winter commuting/training.

I did however ride a friends Niner recently on some gravel roads and loved it.

spliid

by spliid

Thx, the synapse alu could be a good pick actually. Will check it out.

Lugan

by Lugan

I live in Seattle, and like any serious cyclist here, I have a dedicated winter bike. We call them "rain bikes", but they're also for dark and frozen riding. The one key thing to look for besides the usual fit considerations is long reach road brakes and fender eyelets front and rear. Some people get cyclocross bikes, but fit on those is usually different than road bikes. They may also lack fender eyelets.

Mine is currently a custom Hampsten that natively fits 30c Schwalbe S-One tubeless tires on wide rims wrapped by 45mm Portland Design Works full coverage fenders with flaps hanging nearly down to the ground (front flap is for your feet, rear is for your riding buddies). I also have a powerful light up front and a Dinotte Quad Red attached to the back of my helmet for visibility in all visibility conditions day or night.

Before the Hampsten though, I used a predecessor to the Soma Extra Smooth, which was also a fine winter training bike. There are other options out there too.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Hmmm.. I'd love a Tarmac Disc with mudguard eyes but not currently an option. I like a winter bike to feel the same as my summer bike in terms of geometry and I hate a high front as it kills my shoulders and ass. Discs make sense on a winter bike (not on a Venge ViAS though!!). Happy with 25 mm tyres personally but I stay on the road.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

cmcdonnell wrote:Hmmm.. I'd love a Tarmac Disc with mudguard eyes but not currently an option. I like a winter bike to feel the same as my summer bike in terms of geometry and I hate a high front as it kills my shoulders and ass. Discs make sense on a winter bike (not on a Venge ViAS though!!). Happy with 25 mm tyres personally but I stay on the road.

Diverge with a -17 and a slim top cap?
Using Tapatalk

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I quite like the look of the Diverge and I'd like to try one. The 49 may be doable as it only had a 1.2 cm higher stack than my T1 and an 0.1 cm longer reach. A bit worried it would look back in such a small size with a 41.8 cm seat tube though and may not allow space for 2 bottles? also not sure what the wheels a re like. N

junchen

by junchen

cmcdonnell wrote:I quite like the look of the Diverge and I'd like to try one. The 49 may be doable as it only had a 1.2 cm higher stack than my T1 and an 0.1 cm longer reach. A bit worried it would look back in such a small size with a 41.8 cm seat tube though and may not allow space for 2 bottles? also not sure what the wheels a re like. N

Does the diverge restricts the choice of wheels as u are only limited to specialized scs wheels? If so, it's a big negative..

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Just swap the hanger out. There are also plenty of SCS compatible hubs out now too.
Using Tapatalk

junchen

by junchen

Oic tks!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

What does SCS mean? is it a standard or just a branding thing? I like the Roval CLX 40's and would be happy with them but the Roval Controls look more like a mountain bike wheel on paper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CBJ

by CBJ

I have a GT Grade Carbon which I use for every thing and ride all year both commuting to work and dedicated road riding and it will handle off riding fine too but my current tires are setup for road. In the winter its setup with full fenders which also helps keep the bike much cleaner. Dics brakes is a must for all year riding. I have had Tarmacs and recently a Roubaix but this has been my favorite ride. Great handling, its comfortable and it can take the abuse of the rough road in New York City.

Its just below 18 lbs currently.