Steel tubing noob

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattyNor

by mattyNor

I'm looking into getting my first custom frame built up and I'm researching my tubing options, I can either get about anything Columbus makes or Reynolds 853. I'm leaning towards the Reynolds becuase I've quite familiar with it having ridden a fee bikes built with it but I'm always open to something new. I can't find a whole lot on the. Columbus site about differences between tubesets so I was hoping someone could fill me in or point my in the right direction.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Broady

by Broady

I've got the newish Columbus Spirit with the squared downtube and toptube and it feels amazing to ride.

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Having ridden both Reynolds & Columbus tubed frames (albeit in the past) I have to say that my Columbus minimax tubed cougar was a way better ride than the Reynolds 653 tubed Raleigh it replaced. If I was going to have a new steel frame, I'd definitely go with the Columbus spirit HSS tubeset. Okay, metallurgy will certainly have moved on in the last 20 years but I think the Columbus offering looks like a better bet to me, with its shaped main tubed & even a tapered head tube to allow you to use a modern carbon for with a tapered steerer. Reynolds 853, by comparison, looks a little dated with its slimmer, round tube profiles. Other than that, as I recall, Columbus use CroMo steel whereas Reynolds use MnMo steel.

Paul.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

nickf

by nickf

Usually the builder will pick what tubes work best for the application. Sometimes a mix. Who is doing the build?

hmai18

by hmai18

^ This.

A competent and experienced builder will ask the right questions and select the appropriate tubing mix for your weight/riding style/desired ride quality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ebruner

by Ebruner

Columbus is always my choice.

-Eddie