Not much WWism going on here these days

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

Calnago wrote:...I have actually replaced lighter weight parts (especially bars, stems, and yes, even wheels) with heavier counterparts with the result being far better ride and handling characteristics...

I second this @ only 71kg. That's not to say that some of the lightweight stuff does not perform as well as the heavy counterparts. THM's products come to mind. Their brakes, fantastic; THM M3, fantastic; Scapula CT, superbly comfortable, and well handling. On the other hand, I have a shallow, 1080g wheelset that makes the bike twitchy on fast straight descents; however, my RZRs at 110g lighter, are rock stable.

With the ease of hitting sub-12 lbs these days, I think there's a point where the bike is light enough and doesn't warrant the need to get it lighter via tuning. Granted, that's a moving target and I used to think sub 6kg was light enough, now I grab my 6kg bike and think it's a boat anchor.

As far as this forum goes though, I think the forum has grown a lot over the years, and it's a place that's known to have nice bikes in the gallery. So, if only 0.0001% of the cycling population is willing to tune their parts (let's assume that's a constant over the years), then their showcases in the gallery are going to be diluted by the influx of "normal" bikes by our increased community size.

If I choose to keep my Scott Foil, I can say that I'll be swapping all the bolts that I can and will be looking for ways to save weight via some minor tuning. In contrast of one of the above posters with his Fuji aero bike, I think the proprietary parts justify the need (and ease) of tuning more than almost anything else.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Back in the days you only had brands like AX Lightness and Tune making really light stuff. Toss Extralite in there. Having a 170g hub was considered super light. Now there are multiple brands making hubs that light or even lighter. The parts manufacturing has stepped up, making off the shelf bike building easier. Just go buy Tune/Extralite/AX/THM and a set of good light wheels, and you'll have a comfy 11-12lb build.

Once you go full weenie, you soon realize heavier parts instill more confidence when daily riding. I do some big rides, and part stability and confidence is huge. I don't want to pull a 110mi ride on a twitchy bike, because I wanted 100g bars. Certain area of your bike make a huge difference when it comes to weight and material (Bars and Stem) mainly.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

I'm in the buy it off the shelf camp. It didn't take much to get my EVO HM into the mid 5.4kg range, that's with a garmin 1000, alloy bars, and pedals mounted. The only thing that would even be considered exotic on my bike is the EE brakes. But really they were the solution to get the lever feel i wanted with my bontrager 27mm wide wheels. I beat on the bike almost daily and it has been nothing but comfortable and reliable. Next step is for me to lose some weight out of my mid section.

I'm on the waiting list for a English, that build i will go with some WW bits from extralite and tune but i wont be drilling anything out.

ardi69gain

by ardi69gain

1415chris wrote:People realized that aero is the king these days ;)

Im new in WW, and its hard to find another WW in my country. People go for aero bikes for faster and better riding.
They even asked me a question that is difficult for me to answer, what is the benefit of having a very light bike?
Anyway for now Im still wanting to get sub 5kg (currently sub 6kg). Maybe after that Im gonna start an aero project...

Sent from my SM-A710F using Tapatalk

nickf

by nickf

A lot of these new aero bikes now are so proprietary. You cant WW anything on a new Madone. Everything is integrated and Trek specific. Fitness trumps weight and aero all day anyways. I like the snappy feel and acceleration of a light bike. I ride tubulars for the ride feel, cornering confidence, and the spin up is great. But like i said before i didn't really try all that hard to get sub 6kg. No one really ask what my bike weighs, nothing on it looks weight weenie. I think 6kg and under is fairly common now and not such a shock anymore. There are some fantastic build threads and general knowledge on this site it great which sets it apart.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

ardi69gain wrote:

Im new in WW, and its hard to find another WW in my country. People go for aero bikes for faster and better riding.
They even asked me a question that is difficult for me to answer, what is the benefit of having a very light bike?
Anyway for now Im still wanting to get sub 5kg (currently sub 6kg). Maybe after that Im gonna start an aero project...

Started a light build because I want to experience the (possibly) snappy feel of lightness as nickf said. I had a taste of it when I used madfiber in the past and the feeling was great whenever I go uphill. As a totally recreational rider who never wanted to compete (though I enjoy the usual sprints with my group), aero bikes looks cool but ultimately doesnt really add to my riding experience, whereas a light bike can potentially makes it a joy to go out.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

I think the art has gone out of it as you can simply google lightest bike, buy a Dale Hi Mod something off the shelf, bang on your rapha kit and have maybe 1000kms of fun a year for the low price of $10,000. Just like golf, it is.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

But golf shoes look funny. Cycling shoes, on the other hand...
Ah, ok... Just like golf.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

addictR1

by addictR1

I agree with pdlpsher1... When I bought my first aero bike back in March... I was stoked. BMC TMR02 w/ 105 @ 18.7#. Stripped it sold the 105.. Slap on my red 10sp parts + QXL rings... Now she's at 16.7# with pedals and 2 bottle cage. Not much else I can shave off from the bike... I've already reduced the seat post... Can't really run Aican cables as internal routing... So not sure where else to shave off. Would love to get a lighter rear direct mount brakes that's aero. I love the saddle so can't change there either. Oh and this is with a kinlin 31mm alloy with GP4K2 clincher tires.

My friends propel (non isp) is around 15#...

ardi69gain wrote:

Before I would've said go try and climb a hill and the weight saving will be noticed. But after last weekends climb.. I'm not so sure.

Same climb, just two week apart, same more temps & slight headwinds:

I did with my Addict R1 (14.5#, 52/36 QXL, 11/32) was 47min 12 sec.
Last weekend with my BMC TMR01 (17# w/ profile design RM1 cages, 52/36 QXL, 12/30) was 46mins 55 sec.

Sure it's not a big difference, but I was surprised by it. Now I'm not so sure if weight plays a big difference. So gonna go back Sunday and climb with my Scott again and see if I can be even faster than BMC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Light bikes don't work.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

How the hell did you get to 600 posts on weightweenies... LOL

1415chris

by 1415chris

For me the biggest and probably the only benefit of having light bike was watching the faces of my fellow members of my cc when lifting up my bike :)
And dragging it up and down the stairs was less tyring too.
Don't get me wrong, few years back the only upgrades I was considering were those which could reduce the overall bike's weight. Running excel spreadsheets with all parts, taking pics on scale (still cannot resist it) can be positively addictive.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I don't have the time, skill or money to heavily mod something myself for fear of screwing it up and having to replace it and start from scratch. I'll do minor things but really it's save up and get off the shelf for me

gravity

by gravity

The forum has grown and diversification is the result of it. Light functioning bikes are great but thats not the only way to make bikes great.

I come here everyday to see and participate in the discussion, finding out what's what, news and gossips, and of course i really enjoy Procycling thread.

What pisses me off is the thread asking what to buy: SRAM Red vs DA, C60 vs F8, etc. Get out of here.

xena
Banned

by xena

Did I miss something ,is this site called weight weenies :noidea:

I just checked , yes it is. I thought I was at the wrong site for a minute.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com