Not much WWism going on here these days

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I've been having an issue with my Extralite Aliens 4 front QR not clamping with enough force to hold the front wheel straight. Fed up with the problem I swapped out the QR with the Campy front QR that came with my Bora 50's. The Campy QR is heavy at 57 grams just for the front QR! But I have no more issues. This goes to show that on some parts WW is not a good idea. I'm sure there are other examples such as all-carbon saddles.

darnellrm

by darnellrm

It sounds like you may have a fork issue causing the wheel to not be supported correctly.

And all carbon saddles are Great if you get the right one!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

darnellrm wrote:It sounds like you may have a fork issue causing the wheel to not be supported correctly.

And all carbon saddles are Great if you get the right one!

I have no issues when using the heavy Campy QR. So I can't see how the fork is responsible for the slippage. Please elaborate on what you meant by fork issue. I can certainly check it if I know what I'm looking for. This Youtube video shows the issue that I'm having. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZvZefu-6Mg

How many carbon saddles have you bought before you found the 'right one'? I know WW can be costly buying all the carbon saddles to try is just too much for me!

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

pdlpsher1 wrote:I've been having an issue with my Extralite Aliens 4 front QR not clamping with enough force to hold the front wheel straight. Fed up with the problem I swapped out the QR with the Campy front QR that came with my Bora 50's. The Campy QR is heavy at 57 grams just for the front QR! But I have no more issues. This goes to show that on some parts WW is not a good idea. I'm sure there are other examples such as all-carbon saddles.

External cam QRs are well known to, as a rough rule, generate less clamping force than internal cam ones. This is particularly true when they get a bit of dirt in the mechanism and haven't been lubed in a bit, but even right out of the box most are substantially worse than a stock Shimano or Campy. You can get light internal cam models, but they usually make other compromises, like the lever shape is less comfortable, so the cost/benefit for you may or may not be better. See this article for more info:

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/articl ... ers-36417/

And I agree with Darnellrm that the right all-carbon saddle can be awesome. It can be harder to find the right one than with a conventional saddle though.

kgt

by kgt

I had a similar issue with my Colnago master. Campagnolo QRs worked fine but 44gr kcnc QRs could not clamp the rear wheel securely.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TheKaiser wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:I've been having an issue with my Extralite Aliens 4 front QR not clamping with enough force to hold the front wheel straight. Fed up with the problem I swapped out the QR with the Campy front QR that came with my Bora 50's. The Campy QR is heavy at 57 grams just for the front QR! But I have no more issues. This goes to show that on some parts WW is not a good idea. I'm sure there are other examples such as all-carbon saddles.

External cam QRs are well known to, as a rough rule, generate less clamping force than internal cam ones. This is particularly true when they get a bit of dirt in the mechanism and haven't been lubed in a bit, but even right out of the box most are substantially worse than a stock Shimano or Campy. You can get light internal cam models, but they usually make other compromises, like the lever shape is less comfortable, so the cost/benefit for you may or may not be better. See this article for more info:

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/articl ... ers-36417/

And I agree with Darnellrm that the right all-carbon saddle can be awesome. It can be harder to find the right one than with a conventional saddle though.

Thanks for sharing the article. I think besides clamping force the type of nut used is also critical. WW QRs' all have small nuts. There's less contact area between the dropout and washer.

One of my favorite internal-cam QR is the Mavic. The lever pivots into position nicely, as if there's a spring inside. For some reason Campy and Shimano QRs don't feel the same as the Mavic. I might pick up a pair of steel Mavic QRs. They weigh about the same as Campy and Shimano. For $30 a pair it's a great deal.

grymg

by grymg

I used to check the forum regularly when I built my Cervelo S2 years ago. Got it down to 15.3lb, pretty much the best I could do with a heavy aero frame, Di2 battery, and 58mm clinchers.
(Ti skewers, i-links, Zipp cranks, Recon cassette, C7 brakes, Keo blades, Veloplugs, carbon seat & cages)

Then recently this fall I have been riding with a group that climbs almost everyday. So I had no choice but to cut weight and dial in my weight spreadsheet (again). Wanting to keep my frame I eventually ordered chinese 22mm clinchers, dropped my tool saddle bag for a storage bottle, went to latex tubes, stopped wearing gloves and a skull cap... got it down to 14.1lb and am pretty happy with it.