Campagnolo Ultra Torque Crank/Axle Tool

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Devon wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:Over tightening is worse, same as the Specialized crank, too tight = snap, instant failure. At least if it backs off it will develop play before failure.

But the ability for a skinny cyclist to over torque a bolt rated at 60Nm max is unlikely ;)

Surprisingly easy actually, add to that I also remove the assembly bolt and check for any fractures every time I work on a split crank now. Far too easy for the bolt to let go if not done with a little care.
Using Tapatalk

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

Can confirm you need a 17mm socket as I was just servicing my crankset earlier this week.

Also, maybe I just have a dodgy bit, but a 10mm Allen wouldn't fit without a little persuasion (read, brute force). YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

Thanks guys. Installed tonight with a 17mm socket and no issues. My scrawny arms are stronger than I thought! ;)

Camilo

by Camilo

thp wrote:... get an extension for a short hex socket.

That's what I use. I can't see why an expensive specialized tool is needed, normal tools (socket hex keys) work and most bike mechanics would have a set (plus various extensions)

Devon

by Devon

Camilo wrote:

That's what I use. I can't see why an expensive specialized tool is needed, normal tools (socket hex keys) work and most bike mechanics would have a set (plus various extensions)

Socket cost the same as what I paid for the specific tool (which was also available for faster delivery). I've had cranks ruined in the past by shops as most mechanics I've met or worked with have no idea how to work on Campag - so I do all my own work. I also want to own my own tools so that I'm not reliant on the opening times of shops to get my bike working.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

10mm t handle allen key works with the tool..

Devon

by Devon

sugarkane wrote:10mm t handle allen key works with the tool..

Thanks for the input.

I didn't have an allen socket to hand, hence asking about standard sockets.

Camilo

by Camilo

Devon wrote:
Camilo wrote:

Socket cost the same as what I paid for the specific tool (which was also available for faster delivery). I've had cranks ruined in the past by shops as most mechanics I've met or worked with have no idea how to work on Campag - so I do all my own work. I also want to own my own tools so that I'm not reliant on the opening times of shops to get my bike working.

I really don't mean to be argumentative - and I do like to own any and all specialized tools I need, or simply tools that make repetitive tasks easier. So I'm really not disagreeing with buying the special tool. It works, it's not expensive, and obviously you considered it easier to get than the other tool.

But for posterity: a regular hex socket will work, requiring a standard short extension. If one has them, or can easily get them, there's no advantage to the special tool, except if that special tool is easier to get for some reason.

The extension will probably be in anyone's normal 3/8" drive socket set, so I'm going to call that a given (do any home mechanics not have a standard set of sockets? I know they're really not needed for most bike repairs, but you almost need a set of sockets, or at least a few, for torquing).

The hex key sockets are available in any hardware and/or automotive store, locally - no mail order required. So in my particular case, if I didn't already have them, it would have been a same-day (or even same-hour) purchase as opposed to ordering by internet.

A set of hex key sockets is very useful (not necessary, but nice to have) for normal bike repair and maintenance, so there's that too. If you have a torque wrench, you can use these for measuring torque on any hex fastener on the bike.

Devon

by Devon

Of course I considered this. A 1/2" extension bar doesn't fit within the ID of the crank set, and this is all I have. My 1/4" kit isn't suitable for use up to 50Nm.

None of my kits either at home or work have male hex sockets larger than 8mm.

Shops open after I start work and close before I finish, so ordering online was my only option in this case under the specific timeframe. All my local shops also listed other suitable tools for the same, or more money than the specific Campagnolo tool from Wiggle.

Owning the specific Campagnolo tool means I can use any size torque wrench, either a male or female socket, an allen key or even a spanner if I need to. I won't be limited by a specific size driver or an adapter.

At the end of the day, who cares? I bought the tool I preferred to use, I saved money and I got it faster - I don't understand why people feel the need to challenge this.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Curious... Does the end of the Campagnolo took have a recess for a 3/8" drive so you can attach a 3/8" drive torque wrench directly to it? And sure there are other tools that will work, but I'd never fault anyone for spending a couple bucks more for the Campy tool.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

em3

by em3

Calnago wrote:Curious... Does the end of the Campagnolo took have a recess for a 3/8" drive so you can attach a 3/8" drive torque wrench directly to it? And sure there are other tools that will work, but I'd never fault anyone for spending a couple bucks more for the Campy tool.

Unfortunately not. I assumed u could fit a socket wrench too, but u can't. The recess is designed for a 10mm allen but fitting my high quality allen was quite a challenge and as others have reported above, required some brut force. I ended up simply using the 17mm socket over the tool, which is no different then simply using my 10mm allen socket with an extension. While I usually jump at the opportunity to acquire new Campagnolo tools, I will say that this one was disappointing.... still high quality, but redundant.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks, I'm kinda like you... If Campy makes a superior tool I have no qualms about getting it. But that does not seem to be the case here so I'll just stick with this from Cyclus...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ