BMC SLR01 or S-WORKS TARMAC

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BMC SLR01 or S-WORKS TARMAC

BMC SLR01 2016
58%
S-WORKS TARMAC 2016
42%

Total votes: 72

Mimiandmumu

by Mimiandmumu

Hi guys, I'm looking to get a new frame and have arrived between the BMC SLR01 and S Works Tarmac, both 2016 models. Would like to use it for leisure long rides and occasional local road races, so I would like to seek some help in deciding between these 2 frames. Please share any experience any of you have with these 2 frames, all inputs are greatly appreciated! :D

Philbar72

by Philbar72

I've got an Slr01 (2014 model its the same effectively as the 2015and 2016 models) and have ridden an s-works tarmac 2016. they both ride very well but the SLR01 is better for me up the climbs, and handles better, and goes where you point it better!!! the s-works had all of the bling bits ( dura ace everything), but didn't really feel that great. maybe its just me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

I can only comment on the S-Works Tarmac and this is by far the best of the (many...) high-end carbon bikes I ride/rode - by a margin to be precise.

The BMC is probably a very capable bike too - so in the end it's mostly about personal taste. And if weight is a priority, the BMC is the definitely the lighter frame.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Never rode the BMC, but it's hard to imagine how the Sworks Tarmac could be improved upon. Maybe 150g lighter?!

zappafile123

by zappafile123

luckypuncheur wrote: by a margin to be precise.

Yeah na... its a nice snappy frame, but its not significantly better than other bikes in that league. I thought perhaps it wasnt the most comfy frame out there. Its also pretty overweight. Thats not to say its not a good ride, it is...
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

alastairb

by alastairb

Wrangled with this decision myself a few months back..I went with the SLR01! I've been riding an SL3 Expert for a few years so was sorely tempted to stick with the familiar but, in my opinion, the BMC has the "snap" of the S-Works but manages a much smoother ride at the same time which, here in the UK, is important!
The above, coupled with a much lighter frame weight and that there are a lot less of them around, was enough for me.
It's an awesome bike and it climbs beautifully, but I suspect the Tarmac wouldn't disappoint either.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

I've ridden S-works Tarmac for 2 years.. and it's the best frame I've ever ridden. Cannot judge BMC SLR1 because never rode it, but just don't like the look of BMC.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

The SLR01 for me!
Both are good all-rounders, but the BMC feels smoother and better quality finished frame than the S-Works

Next time we get a SLR01, think i might send it over to alistair at fat creations to do some fancy paint job on it for us though!!