Cannondale (poor) paint quality

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stormur

by stormur

Basically new Synapse HiMod frame; I removed C-bear logo decal from BB area ( between BB and protective plate ) - it went off extremely easy... with paint ! At some places with clearcoat, at some with 1st color(green or white ) at some up to bare carbon....
Plus clearcoat start to peel off from seat tube .

To be clear : had same sticker on other bike- just peeled it off to test ( is it paint or sticker issue ) - on 2nd bike there's no even sign that sticker was there...

Am I an exception or is it common issue ?
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Poor paint job is not uncommon, but it is not acceptable when it happened to Top-tier frames such as Cannondale High Modulus.

I suggest you to consult with your LBS and get the frame inspected.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

I did ... 1st answer was : "why you peeled of sticker ? " :) :) :)
Mark Twain

stormur

by stormur

215 watchers and no comments ? ;)

Where are "Cannondale- church" members calling me hater ? :) Or maybe I just wrote "unspokeable" ? Thing which is obvious, but everyone is quiet about it ? That "king is naked" ?

I'll see now how true is Cannondale warranty. Something tells me to expect equal to their frame paint quality ... .

BTW today arrived other frame, from reputable , but not so much "praised" manufacturer - G! what a PLEASANT surprise. Tubes inside free of plastic leftovers, briliant paint, excellent build accuracy, perfect finish... everything what Cannondale missed in my frame.
Mark Twain

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I pulled all of the unnecessary/warning stickers off my Supersix on the day it was delivered. They all (there was bloody loads!!) came off very easily and left no residue or damaged paint. Mines not a hi mod though so I'm wondering if I may have thicker paint or more clear coat.

stormur

by stormur

My point is that build quality ( incl paint ) of top end model from reputable manufacturer do not fit 3000€ price for it. Paint is one thing, clearly visible transitions from alu parts to fiber 2nd... overall it doesn't look like high-end. Rather low end.

And TOTAL silence from community says all to me ;) "king" is naked. And ugly.
Mark Twain

nobuseri

by nobuseri

My 'dale frames have been pretty decent in terms of paint quality. From the early years of my CAAD3s and onward. They are mass produced, so I was only expecting it not to chip very easily. In my rigorous attempts to have a clean bike 24/7, I haven't been let down as of yet.

Maybe you got a bad apple? :noidea:

In any case, I am interested to see what they say about the paint. Will they replace? or send you a touch up kit? :beerchug:
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

superdx

by superdx

Not really a Cannondale thing, but if you're going to remove stickers heat it with a hair dryer or heat gun first. Paint / finishes will come off with stickers depending on how it's been stored before it reaches your hands. Especially new stickers that may have been out in the heat for awhile.

No need to go off on the entire WW forum. You're implying that people not responding about your post is somehow in support of Cannondale. When in fact your post probably didn't really justify a response at all. Be more careful next time.

stormur

by stormur

Decent with current cycling equipment pricing is not enough. Not for HiMod, which is positioned as top tier. It should be perfect in every single detail.

Never, any decal on any bike peeled paint off. Those was on bike for few days only... Same decal was on other bike for much longer and went off easily. That also dooesn't explain peeling clearcoat from seattube and other Q issues.

My 1st road bike ( 700€ Alu Bianchi ) was better made. Seriously. I'm building now my (2nd ) Wilier- there's no comparison. Cannondale should buy 1 frame and learn. A lot.

I know it can happened ( production issue ) but I know at least 2 other ( incl 1 HiMod ) frames with paint peeling off just from looking at it... So it's not "only one2 frame with paint issue. I will skip all mess inside frame which passed Cannondale QC ...

Suprisingly all found by myslef paint issues with Cannondale applies to frames made from '14 onward. Problem generally didn't exist previously.

@superdx : read forum and make statement : Cannondale is absolutely not supported here, and there's no even smallest sign of paid activity in that field . Will you ???

Sure, I can't prove anything, but anyone - even with smallest measurable IQ - will notice that obvious fact. Same applies to few other products/ brands. Cannondlae is not only one.

about "be careful" : because of ? Should I take it as I think I could and should/ could I take appropriate action ?

Or you just try to be overprotective and tell me what should I do and what should I don't ?
Mark Twain

mattr

by mattr

It may be that they are expecting the paint to go off over time. I know we factor in minimum shipping/storage/delivery times into paint and some glue curing times. Thats one reason many cars are shipped in bags. The paint isn't fully hardened. Water based paints are apparently much worse for this.

You may find that this frame is very new. Only been painted a couple of weeks.

stormur

by stormur

That was my thought indeed, but this particular frame was made in 2014... So not this case. Within day or two, I'll make some images and publish here, so anyone can decide for him/her-self is it "fine", "decent" or "unacceptable" for this pricepoint and market positioning frameset from - some say - reputable manufacturer. For me it is not, by any mean. But I'm not brand religious, and have comparison.
Mark Twain

superdx

by superdx

I don't get what bitching about on WW is going to do for you. Cannondale and your dealer are the only ones that can rectify this problem. Instead of ranting at us and saying we have low IQs, you should be screaming at them. Not really helping your cause.

Antoine

by Antoine

it can help people thinking to buy a Cannondale.

The paint of my 2012 Evo isn't great either, same for my CAAD 9.

LeeCH

by LeeCH

That's too bad.. Is it a problem of canondale frame for a long time ago?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I don't know why you seem so surprised and upset. So the paint job isn't great. It's not like doesn't already have a huge history of problematic frames and paint jobs.

The raw carbon/aluminum Six-13s and System-6s developed corrosion and spidering at the joints. (I had it on my System-6) BB30 is known to creak. And there was a guy on here who went through three or four Evo Blacks before he found a frame where his wheels didn't rub.

Lastly, it doesn't sound like you are the original owner - you describe the bike as basically new - Cannondale doesn't provide any warranty support to second owners.