Garmin Varia radar - installation on saddle bag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jever98

by jever98

Hi,

I am interested in installing a Garmin Varia on a saddle bag, to avoid the (imho ugly) installation on the seat post. Has anybody had any experience with this? Photos and tips are very welcome.

Thanks
Jever
----
No longer in the industry

superdx

by superdx

I tried it on a Fizik bag, and that didn't turn out so well. Though it's not heavy, it's got enough weight that it basically sags what it's attached to. Though I suspect you could rig something with the Garmin rubber strap mounts and get more solid fit. It's expensive enough that I prefer the clamp mount so it's secure even on bumpy roads.

I use the clamp kind of like a seatpost marker. Works great on my travel bike, I never have to think about the post height now even removing the seapost from my bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jever98

by jever98

superdx wrote:I tried it on a Fizik bag, and that didn't turn out so well. Though it's not heavy, it's got enough weight that it basically sags what it's attached to. Though I suspect you could rig something with the Garmin rubber strap mounts and get more solid fit. It's expensive enough that I prefer the clamp mount so it's secure even on bumpy roads.

I use the clamp kind of like a seatpost marker. Works great on my travel bike, I never have to think about the post height now even removing the seapost from my bike.

Thanks, nice to know.

On a slightly OT question - how useful do you find the radar? I have ridden once with a buddy and was impressed with the safety of the increasing light (though I would prefer that it flashes - will need to check if that's possible). I imagine a big benefit will be to know when to get back to single file on a narrow climb if riding with friends.
----

superdx

by superdx

There's a solid light mode and a flashing light mode if that's what you're asking. Once the unit is on, press the button to toggle between the 2 modes. Flashing gives more battery life (8-9 hrs), though I understand for some countries the light is required to be on all the time (5 hrs). I don't know how much it affects drivers, since the LED strip is so small it's hard to tell from a distance what's going on.

I like the radar, but it's effectiveness decreases if there are more cyclists behind you. Basically riders behind you will block the radar from detecting cars.

Also, literally like Top Gun, sometimes it doesn't pick up multiple cars that are travelling close together. You get one blip but then there's actually 2-3 cars in that bunch. That's physics though, so not really a knock against the unit.

I find it significantly more useful when riding solo or with 1-2 people only.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

There are two models of the radar, one for Europe and one for North America. The european model only has the steady light mode, since apparently there is a law in europe prohibiting the flashing mode. The north american model has the two modes.

I have been using this for the last few months and find it a great tool both for solo rides, and when I am supporting group rides. Its one of the few Garmin products that delivers the goods without bugs or issues.

jever98

by jever98

Thanks for the info both. Any idea whether one can change to the flashing mode?

Cheers
----

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Unfortunately if you have the EU version, you are stuck with solid mode. There is no way to reflash to NA firmware. I believe the model numbers are different. One is "500" and the other is "501".

superdx

by superdx

That sucks! 2 years ago I was able to re-flash my Edge 510 when the firmware corrupted. Got rid of the EU firmware and got a generic North American version. It was quite the hairy procedure and I've totally lost all the steps now. Maybe digging deep into Google will find you some results.

mattr

by mattr

IIRC the EU laws mostly refer to having at least one permanent light during the hours of darkness. You can supplement this with as many flashers as you like. So garmin are assuming that the radar will be the "main" unit, with the solid light. Which is odd as i'd rather use the battery for what it's designed for. :?

Every other manufacturer still sells flashing lights.

Think there might be a couple of exceptions to the flash/solid, where flashing has been "banned", but AFAIK it's not been enforced particularly vigorously. Much like the UK requirement to have BS/EU approved lights, most of the high powered lights on the market (probably 80+%) aren't legal. I've never been stopped and only know of one or two who have, in 30 years.

Mark1911

by Mark1911

Is 10 1/2 years too long to wait to answer a question? :lol: After all, we're already into the next generation of Varia's, but I think the original question still presents the same dilemma. What is a good way to mount this amazing piece of gear in the location where many of us need it to be?!?! On the saddlebag.

Ok, this is my first post, so I will try to make a practicle contribution to the community here. I am very interested in your feedback, and in whether or not any of you think you might be able to use my idea on your own bike.

Here's a very simple solution to mount your Varia RTL510 to the luggage loop on your saddlebag. I am an engineer by trade. Not only do I enjoy the challenge of improvising solutions that work, I often find that improvised solutions are better and cheaper than those currently offered on the market. This one works like a champ. Simple, strong, secure, and works as well or better than any product you will pay more for online. For the Shapeways product you will pay $25 USD plus shipping for a less-than-robust piece of 3D printed plastic? And I am supposed to trust that with a $200 piece of gear over those nasty bumps and potholes that I didn't see coming? Really? Try this instead.

Items you will need:
1. Metal Belt Clip. You can order these online, many shapes and sizes to choose from. Just ensure that the width dimension of whatever you choose is compatible with the width of the loop on your saddlebag. Here’s the one I ordered as an example: https://www.amazon.com/Holster-Sheath-C ... way&sr=8-9
2. Industrial Strength Velcro. I like the clear plastic variety typically used for mounting toll transponders to a windshield, but tons of products out there. Very strong, more than enough to secure the Varia, with plenty of margin for those nasty and bumps and potholes you didn’t see coming. But if you still want an extra measure of security for peace of mind, use the Velcro bundling strap material, Item 3.
3. Velcro Bundling Strap (optional). I used this: https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-ONE ... 1QVXKJXQZS
4. Zip Ties. Optional

Using scissors, trim the Velcro to match the belt clip and the back of your RTL510 varia, but don't cover the quad-lock mount, just in case you ever want to use it. No artistic talent required.

Here’s some pictures of the final result. I used a short piece of velcor bundling strap wrapped around the unit as extra security, but it's not necessary.

Note the Bontrager Flare RT at the bottom of the setup. It’s attached to a Bontrager belt clip, a $4.99 accessory you can order from Trek. The Bontrager belt clip is a perfect match for the notch at the bottom of the main belt clip. I secured the Flare RT to the main belt clip using two zip ties, one through the hole of the main belt clip, and the other to secure the two sides of the Bontrager belt clip (see pics below).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com