Bike fit- pros vs. the rest of us

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

basilic

by basilic

ok, internet diagnosis on Fuji bike shown on previous page (take with grain of salt):
- saddle tip is up. Often people do this when the saddle isn't far back enough, they end up with a lot of weight on their arms, and tend to slide forward; to stop this they tilt the saddle, AND raise bars or tilt levers back (which you also did). Do you get shoulder strain if you ride for several hours?
I would try this:
- increase saddle setback (0.5-1 cm)
- set saddle flat (so you can rotate pelvis forward)
- rotate levers forward, so the HB ramp and lever ramp align

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

I can't tell if this is real or not anymore...

mattr

by mattr

It looks a bit like a bike your dad bought for you to grow into........

I've had experience of this, i was never going to grow into a 56cm bike in a reasonable timescale as a 13 year old. I'm only riding a 51 now....... and that was nearly 30 years ago.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

pdlpsher1 wrote:
kkibbler wrote:Hate to break it to you, but pros don't use hydration backpacks.

Yes. And they don't have a tool bag, spare tubes, CO2 cartridges, and a pump like the rest of us.

Actually, they do.

https://twitter.com/simongerrans/status ... 3608749056

wingguy

by wingguy

Tinea Pedis wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
kkibbler wrote:Hate to break it to you, but pros don't use hydration backpacks.

Yes. And they don't have a tool bag, spare tubes, CO2 cartridges, and a pump like the rest of us.

Actually, they do.

https://twitter.com/simongerrans/status ... 3608749056

And how!

mattr

by mattr

I'd suspect that most of the riding that most pros do includes tools, CO2, pockets full of food, armwarmers, jackets.

All the photo shoots they have at training camps with a following car will be the exception to the rule. There will be some exceptions.

wingguy

by wingguy

Also, 70oz is 2 litres. You can fit 2 litre bottles on a bike no problems, and not have such a sweaty back...

boysa

by boysa

dudemanppl wrote:I can't tell if this is real or not anymore...

Amen. You aren't the only one.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Using Tapatalk

Delorre

by Delorre

pdlpsher1 wrote:A few comments on bar rotation. My bar (3T Ergonova) has an oval top. I rotated the bars such that the oval top is even horizontally and not skewed towards the front or back. If I rotate the bar further forward my hands wouldn't be comfortable on the bar tops. As for the lever position suggestion (being vertical), I adjusted my lever reach so that I could reach the levers in the drops. I don't have a picture after the adjustment but I can assure you my levers are now perfectly vertical without any tilt forward or backward.

When I setup my DI2 bike, I first tried an Ergonova, but gave up, the shape of the bar didn't work well with DA, (but perfect with Campa from the pics I've found on the net)and I seemed to have a lot more reach as 77mm 3T claim. I would try finding an other bar that works with DA.

Multebear

by Multebear

pdlpsher1 wrote:
As for the drops vs. riding on the hood it's a non-issue for me. I can get into a more aero position riding on the hoods by bending my elbows and flattening my back. If I ride in the drops my forearms are exposed to the wind. I don't think there's any benefit on riding in the drops other than on a descent.

I think your handlebars look much better now, and the position of the levers looks right as well. But dude, that saddle needs aligning - level tool stock aligned.

Regarding the riding in the drops issue, maybe you're not flexible enough yet, maybe it's something else. But you need to be able to ride comfortably in the drops for a longer amount of time. If you're not comfortable in the drops, something is wrong. They're there for a reason. Riding in the hoods with bend elbows might be fast and a lot of the pro's do it in brakeaways e.g. But they also ride a significant amount of time in the drops. While racing I'm in the drops the entire race. While training, I'm only in the drops when doing intervals like double paceline or sprinting or other stuff. I'm never in the drops while cruising. If you don't do intervals or race, then the drops aren't that imortant to you, but you still should be able to feel comfortable in the drops for a longer period of time.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

boysa wrote:
dudemanppl wrote:I can't tell if this is real or not anymore...

Amen. You aren't the only one.

I'm with this crowd. Was thinking that quite a ways back actually. Well played @pdlpshr1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MikeDee

by MikeDee

The reason you're not using the drops is that your handlebar is too low relative to the saddle. Unfortunately, some bonehead cut your steerer tube too short. You might try a stem with more rise. Your levers turned up like that is further proof that your bars are too low.

jeffy

by jeffy

Quarq and Dura Ace c50 wheels with fully cut steerer + weird fit questions.

Either a troll or ...

Guessing godlike trolling as they have even borrowed their friend's Quarq so that they can mix Shimano and Sram.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Ah, the saddle. You said that it was level but it clearly doesn't look like it.

As suggested, set it flat (with a level or smartphone app). Try that and if needed, tip up ever so slightly. I mean _slightly_. Having a saddle that is tipped up to the degree you have is a surefire indication of a poor fit. Most likely, it is tipped up to compensate for a poor balance point in relation your cockpit. Again, you're stretched out (having to reach too far forward) and need a shorter stem/TT.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com