Bike fit- pros vs. the rest of us

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

kgt wrote:+1
The frame is obviously too big for you.

I think I might have a bit of a problem unique to smaller riders. Since I have short femurs my saddle is quite a bit forward to allow my legs to apply power with decent efficiency. I have to sit very close to the spindle otherwise my legs cannot rotate around the power portion of the pedal stroke. Since I have short legs that means I have a relatively long torso. Combining a long torso with a forward saddle position means I need a bike with longer reach. Of course I could ride a smaller bike with a longer stem. But the longer stem will compromise bike handling and put my center-of-gravity too far forward. The bottom line is that there are multiple ways to skin a cat. As far as my current bike is concerned I think the reach is good and my saddle position is good. Replacing it with a smaller frame will require a much longer stem which may not be the best for my physical attributes. Comments are welcomed.

wingguy

by wingguy

Yeah, I bet those cages you got are way heavier than an entire Camelback.

Nice work bro, nice work :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

Get Professional Help.

..... also get a pro bike fit, buy a frame that fits that is set up by your pro fitter.

the saddle is way forward because the frame doesn't fit.
you are more comfortable with rotated bars (with an already short stem*) because your frame is too big.
you don't ride in the drops (much more stable position, much more aero, much safer descending) because the stack of your frame is too low.
with a bike that allows a longer stem (a shorter & higher frame), you will have much better handling.

you will enjoy your bike much better, you will ride better, it will be much more rewarding

* want to look pro? get a bike that allows a 140mm slammed stem (you'll probably need to buy a 1 or 2 size too small Domane or dutch town bike)

Multebear

by Multebear

pdlpsher1 wrote:
kgt wrote:+1
The frame is obviously too big for you.

I think I might have a bit of a problem unique to smaller riders. Since I have short femurs my saddle is quite a bit forward to allow my legs to apply power with decent efficiency. I have to sit very close to the spindle otherwise my legs cannot rotate around the power portion of the pedal stroke. Since I have short legs that means I have a relatively long torso. Combining a long torso with a forward saddle position means I need a bike with longer reach. Of course I could ride a smaller bike with a longer stem. But the longer stem will compromise bike handling and put my center-of-gravity too far forward. The bottom line is that there are multiple ways to skin a cat. As far as my current bike is concerned I think the reach is good and my saddle position is good. Replacing it with a smaller frame will require a much longer stem which may not be the best for my physical attributes. Comments are welcomed.

Don't try to find excuses for a frame, that is too big. You need a smaller frame - period. But as mentioned before, you don't need to change it right now. Shorter femurs, longer torso - whatever. The frame is too big.

I ride a slammed 15 degree 140 mm stem (size 56 cdale evo hi mod), and it's not compromising handling at all. The handling is perfect, no issues there. Center of gravity is not an issue here - stop with the excuses, and just take the advices from experienced riders.

If you went one frame size down, let's say from a 52 to a 50, it would mean that your stem should be 120 instead of 100. But since the frame is too big, you would keep your stem and center your saddle over the seat post. Problem solved.

And while we're at it, get rid of that mtb helmet and buy a road bike helmet instead. And hydration pack.... I'm not even gonna get into that.

Sorry, but if you're posting pictures, you'll have to be open to criticism.

RyanH

by RyanH

I'm 2 inches taller than you and ride a size smaller Fuji than you are. Short femur is a reason to get a smaller size since STA is steeper. 100mm stem is on the short side, many consider 120mm "normal" so I don't know where this idea that 100mm is optimum and anything longer is going to affect handling.

I used to ride a 54, but I now ride a 51 in Cervelo, a S/M in Fuji and a 52cm in Scott. Sorry, but you're on the wrong size.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

And give the STA of a 52 Transonic is 75 degrees (which is a little nuts, but plays right in to this scenario) it's as much on the person who sold you the bike as it is you for not being more certain on your fit.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Ok. You guys have convinced me to replace the frame. Now the question is which one I should get, 52cm or a 49cm? Also, the reach on the 52cm is 392mm and on the 54cm is 386mm. Based on this how long of a stem I should get?

Anyone wants to buy a lightly used 54cm, LOL.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

You should get neither. You seem confused about what type of riding you want to do. On one hand you have said you prefer a more upright riding position, but on the other talk about getting aero - these are somewhat at odds with each other.

The Fuji Transonic is probably not the right style of frame for you - going down a size just ends up with even less stack than what you have now relative to the reach. A 52cm has 2.2cm less stack and the 49cm has 4.1cm less stack than your current frame, so you would end up with a mass of spacers in order to achieve the same bar height.

The 52cm has a stack/reach ratio of 1.31:1, given your earlier comments about your "preferences" you may be better served with something between 1.4 and.1.5 to 1.

I will reiterate again.....before you buy any new frame go and talk to a fitter.

Racingevo

by Racingevo

pdlpsher1 wrote:Ok. You guys have convinced me to replace the frame. Now the question is which one I should get, 52cm or a 49cm? Also, the reach on the 52cm is 392mm and on the 54cm is 386mm. Based on this how long of a stem I should get?

My friend just went through this whole thing recently and he is also 5' 7". He went from a 52cm frame to a 49cm after much debate but he is much more comfortable. The biggest changes noticed were a greater setback saddle position and 1cm longer stem, went from 90 to 100mm. I myself am 5' 9" and ride a 52cm Tarmac.

He bought a few different stem lengths and tried them all out before settling on a size. Also keep in mind that the angle of the stem has effect on your reach( 6,12,17 deg).

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Ok. Will get a fitter to assess my fit. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

Multebear wrote:
5DII wrote:Dave Zabriskie rides with the handlebars turned up: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHgaXZpDV3O ... dzabriskie

Sorry to say, but that is a cx/gravel bike. That's a completely different animal, and doesn't compare.

That is one foul looking setup. I don't care if it is a gravel bike the upturned handlebars and levers pointing sky high don't compute for me. It's basically set up so that the drops are unusable.

wingguy

by wingguy

AJS914 wrote:
Multebear wrote:
5DII wrote:Dave Zabriskie rides with the handlebars turned up: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHgaXZpDV3O ... dzabriskie

Sorry to say, but that is a cx/gravel bike. That's a completely different animal, and doesn't compare.

That is one foul looking setup. I don't care if it is a gravel bike the upturned handlebars and levers pointing sky high don't compute for me. It's basically set up so that the drops are unusable.

Does anyone have any pictures of him riding it like that?

Wouldn't be the first time a brand new bike is just ripped out of the box and thrown together for press photos before the rider gets anywhere near it.

AJS914

by AJS914

I hope that is the case.

jeffy

by jeffy

The transonic Geo chart is weird, to the point that i wouldn't trust it

52 reach is longer than the 56 reach.

but yeah, get yourself a fit, and look at Roubaix / Domane / Synapse type options.

and you are wrong about stem length, the longer gives better handling (less twitchy)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dez33

by Dez33

pdlpsher1 wrote:Ok. You guys have convinced me to replace the frame. Now the question is which one I should get, 52cm or a 49cm? Also, the reach on the 52cm is 392mm and on the 54cm is 386mm. Based on this how long of a stem I should get?

Yep, I told you that 10 pages back. You need to switch brands, 52 is no good for you either.