Stiffest and Strongest Bike Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ardennes777

by ardennes777

Hi Guys

I have unfortunately broken yet again another bike-frame, this time a TCR ADV SL. I have also broken SWORKS Tarmac SL3 and SL4
I am only 63kgs and fail to see how this can happen.

I am now unfortunately needing a new bike frame (shame as TCR was so so good!)

I am going to transfer my parts (as much of them as I can) to the new frame.
I currently have SRAM RED 22 Groupset + Mavic CC40 Clinchers (Will need to buy bars+stem).

I need a bike that I simply can "hammer" on; this includes pulling big pace-line turns, churning out leg burning sprints and of-course smashing up the steepest of climbs. Being a lighter guy, I am also after a bike with a "compliant" ride on 4h+ rides.

I just need a super super strong trouble free frame.

I am thinking either following frames:

- Colnago C60

Traditional type frame. Nothing "aero" or "light" about it (which I see as a benefit considering I have broken light bikes). Lugged (perhaps more strength).

- Colnago V1R

Taiwan made. Marginally "aero" relative to C60, a bit lighter (but still no feather weight). Have heard they are quite strong and durable.

- Dogma F8

Again not the lightest and has some aero-prowess. Have heard they are strong and durable but also that ride quality is quite poor.

- Ridley Noah FAST

Looks fat and sturdy (may be different in reality). Have heard ride quality is quite harsh and uncomfortable.

Can anyone shed light on the above or provide another frame solution?

-

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

Where/how are these frames failing? Do you have any photos of the damage? Perhaps a custom frame from Crumpton or another builder. You could have it reinforced in the problem areas while being tailored to your weight and for compliance in others?

I'm shocked such a light rider can put out enough power to grenade all of those frames! Did you crash any of them at any point?

Remind me not to hit the trail with you! :D

kgt

by kgt

You really need to explain us where/how these frames were failed. At your 63kg it sounds really strange...
Anyway, you can look for heavier carbon frames which are overbuilt. Colnago C60 is a good choise. A Cipollini monocoque (like RB1000) would be another great choise.
You can even go custom.
In any case I would suggest you a lugged or 100% monocoque frame.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Might be an overreaction but I saw a few Pinarellos broken before and they don't inspire confidence for me. The c60 will probably lasts very well.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I am very curious as to exactly how and where you are breaking these frames.
Re the two Colnagos you list, rock solid but I don't like the V1R simply because of the rear brake placement under and behind the BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RyanH

by RyanH

It sounds like these frames weren't purchased new since they'd be warrantied. I think you've just had a string of bad luck.

I weigh 71kg and I've done single track on the road bike, some abusive fire roads and I can put out decent power and I've never broken a frame.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

Take a look at the new Gaulzetti Interclub (the new model from the Corsa). Custom aluminum frame, no way you'll be able to crack that thing, he's changed up his aluminum and using a new welding method too.

I'm building one up as we speak with set of hand built wheels. It'll be a shade heavier than a carbon build but this thing is meant to hammer and race.
Last edited by LittleSprinter on Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wingguy

by wingguy

ardennes777 wrote:I have unfortunately broken yet again another bike-frame, this time a TCR ADV SL. I have also broken SWORKS Tarmac SL3 and SL4
I am only 63kgs and fail to see how this can happen.

Honestly? You're either incredibly unlucky or you're doing something really stupid.

Like the other guys said, how and where are they broken?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Bruce Banner?
Using Tapatalk

thprice

by thprice

Have you thought about a titanium frame?

ardennes777

by ardennes777

RyanH wrote:It sounds like these frames weren't purchased new since they'd be warrantied. I think you've just had a string of bad luck.

I weigh 71kg and I've done single track on the road bike, some abusive fire roads and I can put out decent power and I've never broken a frame.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hi. Yes all these bikes were bought new and replaced under warranty.
I bought an SL3 Sworks new. 6 weeks later it cracked (BB + RH lower Stay) and Specialized replaced it with the SL4 (as had just come out). 2 months later and the SL4 cracked (Headtube). Specialized replaced the frame again (with another SL4) but I ended up selling the frame as obviously it, under any circumstances, was not fit-for-purpose and I presumed would obviously crack again.

I then used the money to purchase a NEW TCR ADV SL Giant. I had it for 12 months and it cracked (BB). Giant replaced it under warranty and few weeks later this model too cracked.

These bikes have not been raced or crashed. Just used for training rides. Whether it is bad luck, I do not know.

I am hesitant to go a titanium/alloy/custom build frame as 1 - Lead time for a few models I have seen is huge (up to 12 months) 2 - I just feel that there must be a carbon bike that can accomodate me. There is obviously a reason manufacturers have shied away from titanium/steel.

kgt wrote:You really need to explain us where/how these frames were failed. At your 63kg it sounds really strange...
Anyway, you can look for heavier carbon frames which are overbuilt. Colnago C60 is a good choise. A Cipollini monocoque (like RB1000) would be another great choise.
You can even go custom.

Yes ofcourse. The RB1000 is up there aswell. The bold lines and oversized frame are particularly appealing to me. I have not heard the best things about Warranty support though and I am therefore hesitant (I recall someone waiting >6 months for a replacement frame)

AZK

by AZK

ardennes777 wrote:
kgt wrote:You really need to explain us where/how these frames were failed. At your 63kg it sounds really strange...
You can even go custom.

Yes ofcourse. The RB1000 is up there aswell. The bold lines and oversized frame are particularly appealing to me. I have not heard the best things about Warranty support though and I am therefore hesitant (I recall someone waiting >6 months for a replacement frame)

It's worth noting power isn't directly the destroyer of frames, force is the main culprit. Look at any stiffness or frame 'failure' test and the metrics will be expressed in force per mm or degree.

a mere 500w @ 80rpm will have the same impact on a frame as a super duper 1000w @ 160rpm for example.

Are you a masher or a spinner, maybe lifting your cadence could save your frames?

I''m also in the process of looking at a new frame, Tested a Bond and second KGT on the Cipollini.

mattr

by mattr

PSM

by PSM

Sounds really annoying. :(

May I ask if you built up these bikes your self?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The very high-end model carbon frames use more of the high modulus carbon in order to save weight. High modulus carbon is also more brittle and prone to cracking under high stress. Many frames also come in a more budget friendly version that use less of the high modulus carbon and more of the standard modulus carbon. Usually they weigh about 150-200 grams more than their higher-end counterpart. The geometries should be identical. I would buy one of those second-tier frames and not a top-of-the-line lightweight frames. Just my two cents.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com