adding weight to reach 6.8kg

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeffy

by jeffy

glue together the required amount of lead shot in sausage shape. wrap in cling film / pad it out to fit snug into spindle.

atakaoka

by atakaoka

lead will do the job.
go to a fishing shop and buy some lead and fit it on the seat tube.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gavf

by Gavf

I can't believe people are suggesting adding weight via the wheels or the cassette, these are the absolute worst places to add weight on a bike, especially if you are racing.

Get an off cut of some roofing lead, thin it out and cut it as needed, then bend it around the seat/down tube, near the BB and zip tie it in place

964Cup

by 964Cup

Or make like the pro teams in the old days and drop a chain or two down the seat tube (assumes the BB is sealed). Each chain will be a little under 250g.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

If you're gonna add weight, seems pointless to add lead. You might as well go for deep aero wheels, aero bar, aero seatpost, etc. At least then the extra weight is doing something for you.

Gavf

by Gavf

Spending hundreds to thousands of pounds/dollars/euros or get a scrap piece of lead and form it round a tube, so it can be easily be removed after racing.

I know which i would do.

Zoro

by Zoro

Unfortunately this is a rule that is rarely enforced. In some 20+ UCI races my son didn't get his road bike checked once - except in the USA.

But as he normally runs quite under weight the best for him is getting a fishing weight and pounding it out with a hammer and attaching to the BB.
Link of a picture:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AoUfGFf09F_flbcJvvGp007i0pIfow

Zoro

by Zoro

He also went from an alloy cassette 125g to a steel Ultegra. That helped.
The cassette is essentially non-rotating weight and he prefers it over being higher on the bike as in the seat tube. We also went to heavy steel skewers. In the end we added about 800g. That is with his super light 50mm profile /25mm wide, 25mm tubs wheels (except with the heavy cassette).

Note that the lead, skewers were easier to remove for Belgium/other non-UCI races - while the cassette took a few min.
Last edited by Zoro on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zoro

by Zoro

Gavf wrote:...or the cassette, these are the absolute worst places to add weight on a bike, especially if you are racing....
Close to the rotation axis is about the same as non-rotating weight.

wingguy

by wingguy

Zoro wrote:The cassette is essentially non-rotating weight and he prefers it over being higher on the bike as in the seat tube.

The BB is several centimetres lower than the wheel axle. Therefore if you can drop lead down the seattube so it's sitting on the bb shell the CG will be lower than if you added cassette weight.

Zoro

by Zoro

wingguy wrote:
Zoro wrote:The cassette is essentially non-rotating weight and he prefers it over being higher on the bike as in the seat tube.

The BB is several centimetres lower than the wheel axle. Therefore if you can drop lead down the seattube so it's sitting on the bb shell the CG will be lower than if you added cassette weight.
Did you see my link?
We did both. Dropping things down the tube - rattles. Esp as so many races have cobbles.

And had some weight in the left bar end mirror. https://1drv.ms/i/s!AoUfGFf09F_flbcKGsaraULC4-kItg

rideintospace

by rideintospace

Super helpful thread, thanks for all the comments so far. likely solutions will include Pb, 1030 cassette, shimano skewers. lol at the vivax assist. you guys crack me up

Danza

by Danza

Use automotive wheel sticky weights on the BB shell?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com