Campagnolo C-clip on drive side EPS Ultra Torque cups

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

58teeth

by 58teeth

Hi there-
I've recently installed a pair of the Campy EPS PF30 UT cups onto my bike as well as the new four bolt Campy SRM.

Due to the machining of the spider, it is nearly impossible to get the small c-clip that is on the drive side off and on to take advantage of the multiple bcd spider.

Is the clip really that necessary for the PF30 setup? I think about the other brands of PF30 cranks like rotor that simply use a single bolt. I wonder if an additional washer might be able to take its place? I've replaced the crank WITHOUT the clip and have checked for any lateral play, but there is absolutely zero.

There are varying opinions of its functions about being a "safety clip" if the center bolt becomes untorqued and your cranks "fall off" vs an actual functioning retention piece.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
G

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

There's a hole in the DS crank through which you can insert a small flat blade screwdriver. Insert the end into the loop of the c-clip and gently turn the crank to unhook the clip. Repeat for the other end.

IMHO the clip should always be left in place.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The "safety clip" reference was an unfortunate translation. It is a retaining clip.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

58teeth

by 58teeth

Mockenrue wrote:. gently turn the crank to unhook the clip.

Holy moly that WORKED! I would have never thought of that. I'm forever grateful!!