inside an eTap blip

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jih

by jih

Looking at eTap blips from the outside, they look like simple switches with a standard connector. Has anybody actually looked inside to verify this?

I'm thinking I could make a DIY bar-end up/down blip thing from a momentary-contact standard DTSP switch. I don't need to shift the rear in TTs so one switch to throw in both directions would be totally fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

I assume you mean you don't need to shift the front...

you're spot on re the switch wiring you need...I'm struggling with the plug for the blip box as it is not standard - the connector is (2.35mm od, 0.7mm id barrel connector) but the body is not something I have tracked down. it needs to be 5.0mm across by 11.5mm long and Sram have an o-ring ( 5.5mm, 1mm) on there for sealing.

So I'm still searching.

Also I've struggled to find a decent paddle actuator - thinking a smaller version of eps TT switch - so just made my own clics.
using a no-mom spst switch with an m12 bezel

trim down a bar end plug and drilled for m12 thread and screw in.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Pop the blip box open and add in your own conectors on a length of wire fed out through the connector ports?
Using Tapatalk

jih

by jih

Was thinking something like this mounted on a normal bar end plug

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-AC-250V-1 ... SwubRXKP--

I don't do very many TTs and the ones I do aren't hilly enough for front-shifting to be needed.

Non-standard connector is annoying. I guess I could 3d print something to go in there but two-material parts are a PITA to do.

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

http://www.apem.com/files/apem/brochures/APEM-MT_Rocker.pdf

might be generation 2 for me with either rocker or paddle actuator...need to think of padding it into the tt extension though...

jih

by jih

For the plug, the placeholders that come with the road shifters look very much like a complete connector. They have a red plastic body and metal outer contact. Could be possible to convert them to actual connectors.

1flytriguy

by 1flytriguy

I made a few home made blips. Its pretty easy and i think most momentary normally open switches would work fine. The first set i made, I drilled out the plugs that came pre-installed in the shifters. I then connected it to a momentary switch hijacked out of an old computer mouse. see below for some pics.

Next set I started using some prewired connectors. I had to trim down the plastic/rubber a bit to get them to fit properly in the shifter. They work really well and fit a bit better then the hack job i did on the etap plugs. I am now searching for a better switch option. I'd like to find something similar in size to the computer mouse switches but rubber coated or encased somehow to make them more weather resistant. The hunt continues :) Here's a link to the prewired connectors I am using http://www.intertexelectronics.com/Philmore-48-410-240mm-x-075mm-DC-Plug-wCord-6-24-AWG-P10010.aspx

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

ImageImage

ergott

by ergott

This is all great stuff!

I have wing top bars (Zipp aero) and want to figure out a nice blip that would come out the stem side routing holes and just stick to the underside of the bars. Something nice and stealth, no bar tape to hid it under. ;-)

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

ergott wrote:This is all great stuff!

I have wing top bars (Zipp aero) and want to figure out a nice blip that would come out the stem side routing holes and just stick to the underside of the bars. Something nice and stealth, no bar tape to hid it under. ;-)

I'll send you a pair when I get the 3D plugs and stuff done

ergott

by ergott

sugarkane wrote:
ergott wrote:
I'll send you a pair when I get the 3D plugs and stuff done

You Rawk :thumbup:
Last edited by ergott on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

making awesome progress on these.. now to ditch the shimano di2 plug covers and 3D print a bigger button and mount system

racingtiger

by racingtiger

1flytriguy wrote: Here's a link to the prewired connectors I am using http://www.intertexelectronics.com/Philmore-48-410-240mm-x-075mm-DC-Plug-wCord-6-24-AWG-P10010.aspx

These connectors fit the blipbox without modification?
NOW WITH MORE FLAVOR THAN KOOL-AID!

I'm 129 lbs! How's that for light!

chris47

by chris47

Hey Skunkworks,
What would one have to pay for you to make one of those shifters?
Could ask in a PM, but i think everyone here would benefit from the knowledge :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevey028

by stevey028

Looks awesome, good work.

Stuartclark1977 wrote:I assume you mean you don't need to shift the front...

you're spot on re the switch wiring you need...I'm struggling with the plug for the blip box as it is not standard - the connector is (2.35mm od, 0.7mm id barrel connector) but the body is not something I have tracked down. it needs to be 5.0mm across by 11.5mm long and Sram have an o-ring ( 5.5mm, 1mm) on there for sealing.

So I'm still searching.

Also I've struggled to find a decent paddle actuator - thinking a smaller version of eps TT switch - so just made my own clics.
using a no-mom spst switch with an m12 bezel

trim down a bar end plug and drilled for m12 thread and screw in.