Corima MCC 47 S+ versus Lightweight Meilenstein

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Just received a pair of Corima's MCC 47mm S+ wheels, tubular.

Front = 486g.

Rear = 657g.

Total 1143g.

Will be testing against a pair of Lightweight Meilenstein tubs for stiffness, ride feel, aero, etc.

Initial impressions of the Corimas; very stiff in the hands, carbon not quite as nicely finished as Lightweight. Graphics are stickers and not etching as per LW.
Front spokes are now bladed (ish) not round as before. Rear spokes are still round. Bearings feel very nice and smooth. Perfectly true.

Watch this space!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

Interesting! Will follow this for sure.
velonode.cc

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I also have a set of the Corima's on my F8, will be most interested to read your comparison
BB

Coffee & carbon

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Following!
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

They are gorgeous
Using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

These are among my favourite wheels. I am following as well!

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

To pass the time, I did a quick calculation of spoke surface area (in direction of rotation);

Corima front wheel = 3.2mm thick bladed spoke x 24cm x 12 = 92.16cm2
Corima rear wheel = 4.8mm thick round spoke x 24cm x 12 = 138.24cm2
TOTAL = 230.4cm2

LW front wheel = 2.2mm thick bladed spoke x 24cm x 16 = 84.48cm2
LW rear wheel = 2.2mm thick bladed spoke x 24 x 20 = 105.6cm2
TOTAL = 190.08cm2

Rim depth is more or less the same, and although the Corimas are a bit more modern in the sense that they have a rounded nose (the LW's are very much a sharp V), I feel that the aero performance of the rims themselves would be pretty similar.

So the LW's win my simple 'back of a fag packet' aero calculation. Not only lower surface area of spokes, but also better Cd of spokes as the Corima has fairly un aero round spokes on the rear.

N.B. the above calculation is looking at the 'inline' direction of wheel rotation, and does not take account of side forces. i.e. it considers air resistance of the spokes when spinning in the direction of travel. If we introduce yaw angles, it gets more complex, as the lateral surface area of the spokes starts to have an effect also. Here, the Corimas are lower than the LW's as the lateral spoke thickness of both wheels is very similar (about 5mm for both). eg. Corima = 5mm x 24cm x 24 = 288cm2 and LW = 5mm x 24cm x 36 = 432cm2.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Looking forward to your review on the Corima MCC vs LW Meilenstein tubular.

I'm currently considering getting another pair of wheels, the Bora Ultra 50 seems like a no brainer but I believe the MCC 47 is another good alternative as well.

By the way, mind sharing what wheels have you ridden or owned previously?

Cheers

superdx

by superdx

Looking forward to hearing your impressions. Specs only tell so much. Crosswinds, comfort, climbs, flats, braking in dry, braking in wet... do tell when you can!

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

maverick_1 wrote:Looking forward to your review on the Corima MCC vs LW Meilenstein tubular.

I'm currently considering getting another pair of wheels, the Bora Ultra 50 seems like a no brainer but I believe the MCC 47 is another good alternative as well.

By the way, mind sharing what wheels have you ridden or owned previously?

Cheers

My friend is buying some Bora Ultra 50's too; he just sold his LW Obermayers.....(doesn't like their braking in the wet).

I've ridden always tubs;
Zipp 303, early version, kept breaking spokes.

Planet X 40mm, cheap and cheerful, great for the price, but went out of true.

Mavic Cosmic Carbon Ultimate, excellent multi purpose wheels, not too expensive, light, stiff, rear hub a bit cheap.

Lightweight Meilenstein. Superb. My 'reference' wheels. I ride them all year round, 16000km/year. Fantastic feel, aero enough, great hubs, reliable, good braking.

Almost bought a 2nd set, but wanted to try something a bit different so went with the Corimas.

Oh and some DT Swiss Spline RC38T's. Nice enough, good specs, good hubs, but just didn't feel special.

Will glue on some Vittoria CX's on the Corimas tonight.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Forgive my ignorance but how does that rear wheel lacing work? There cannot be any tension on the spokes this way, can there?

mrgray

by mrgray

very interested in this and subscribed but wish 50 mm boras were being included both 2015 and prior models (ultra 2).

very keen to hear how you like the corimas as i've always wanted a set but pls tell us your weight.

already interested to hear you like the LW's so much. i had issues with side wind gusts in urban areas a bit. one of the best looking wheelsets though no doubt about that.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

beanbiken

by beanbiken

For reference.......
http://i.imgur.com/Hz1cpSM.jpg
Last edited by Frankie - B on Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the img tags. pic too big.
BB

Coffee & carbon

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

mrgray wrote:very interested in this and subscribed but wish 50 mm boras were being included both 2015 and prior models (ultra 2).

very keen to hear how you like the corimas as i've always wanted a set but pls tell us your weight.

already interested to hear you like the LW's so much. i had issues with side wind gusts in urban areas a bit. one of the best looking wheelsets though no doubt about that.

I can add my friends impressions of his brand new Bora 50's, but of course they won't be mine.....!

I weigh 63kg and ride a 52 Sworks Tarmac SL5.

You can definitely feel the sidewinds on the LWs, but it's never really bothered me, it's just a twitch. Only when it's REALLy blowing hard (Force 5/6 and above) does it become an 'issue'!

zappafile123

by zappafile123

mrgray wrote:very interested in this and subscribed but wish 50 mm boras were being included both 2015 and prior models (ultra 2).

My impression of Bora Ultra IIs was that they were solid all-round wheels with the the feather in their cap being the ultra-smooth, buttery rolling sensation. Aside from that quality, they werent abnormally stiff or all that aero. I noticed a speed difference doing the Sydney Chop/Coluzzi on Bora's vs. Hed Jet 6s or the Xentis Squad 5.8's, with the Bora's feeling noticeably slower. Further to this they weren't flash climbing wheels either. In a nutshell, they are good but not great. I think Ultra 50 Clinchers would be an awesome everyday wheel if speed wasnt your main priority.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com