Corima MCC 47 S+ versus Lightweight Meilenstein

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nejmann

by Nejmann

FMB51 wrote:This thread has been great! CycleSpeed, your reviews and comments have been very well thought out and reasoned. I have to admit, I am not much closer to deciding myself between the Corima MCC's and the Meilensteins. I have a pair of the 47mm Corima S+ and have been happy with them. That being said, I have always wanted a pair of the LW's...

Whatever I decide, this will be my fourth wheel set (entirely unnecessary). I have:

Corima 47MM S+ (tubular)

Campagnolo Bora Ultra 2 (tubular)

ENVE Classic 25 / CX-Ray. R45 (tubular) - built these myself - my winter wheels

Try something new then? I have a pair of LW myself and they are wonderful, there is just something about Lightweight. But if I should try something else, I would buy the corima or the new bora ultra. But you got those.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zappafile123

by zappafile123

FMB51 wrote:This thread has been great! CycleSpeed, your reviews and comments have been very well thought out and reasoned. I have to admit, I am not much closer to deciding myself between the Corima MCC's and the Meilensteins. I have a pair of the 47mm Corima S+ and have been happy with them. That being said, I have always wanted a pair of the LW's...

Whatever I decide, this will be my fourth wheel set (entirely unnecessary). I have:

Corima 47MM S+ (tubular)

Campagnolo Bora Ultra 2 (tubular)

ENVE Classic 25 / CX-Ray. R45 (tubular) - built these myself - my winter wheels

I'd go for lightweights. What frame are you riding? Trust me, ultra-stiff rims dont work too well (relatively speaking) with an ultra-stiff frame (depending on your weight). If you're a bigger guy, then stiff on stiff might work.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Kongbop

by Kongbop

Which one do you prefer?
I'm considering buy MCC

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

It depends on you, your build and how/where you ride.

If you're a big guy that can make wheels flex, if you enjoy climbing, then MCC.

If you're lighter and want a more 'do-it-all' wheel then LW.

But both are good, and both will do very well in all areas. (And they look nice!)

RyanH

by RyanH

wheelsONfire wrote: What happens is that i feel a confidence with these wheels which is clearly higher than with CCU.
CCU feels quick and nimble. But they also are harder to ride even with wider tires.
It would be really interesting to test 2015 CCU and the forthcoming wider CCU with same tires on same bike.
That would sort out what the wider rim is doing.
Resurrecting an old thread as I've been contemplating Corima wheels but saw this question posed and figured I'd contribute my experience.

I agree that the CCU feel very nimble and quick handling. I partly thought that was due to going back and forth between Boras with 27mm tires and CCUs with 23 but now that I have Boras again with 27mm tires and Lightweight with 22mm, I don't notice the super sharp handling like I did with the CCUs. I almost felt like the CCUs would kill me if I got complacent in a descent and didn't pay attention but when you were paying attention, they cornered very sharply. With my brief time on the new Cosmic Ultimate, they had to be hands down the most stable descending wheel I've ever ridden. Going down a fast descent, it felt like they were self stabilizing, really confidence inspiring.

There's a but in there, both sets of Mavics felt dog turd slow. I've had quite a few other wheels over the past year that have been the same but the "fast" feeling wheels, I can't quite pinpoint what it is about them.

In general, as I move up to larger Veloflex tires, the fast sensation is more pronounced. Enve 3.4 to DT 240S, Enve 3.4 to Wheels Mfg, Enve 4.5 to Tune mig/Mag, Boras and Lightweight all have the special speed sensation. Again, as I move from 27mm Vlaanderen down to 25mm Roubaix to 23 Carbon, the sensation is diminished. The Lightweights with 22mm Extreme still maintain most of the sensation, which is pretty remarkable as I'd say they have a better speed feel than Boras with 25mm tires.

I tried old ccu with 27mm tires and they still felt slow and the new CU with 25mm rubber felt slow too. So, I don't know what it is that make some wheels special.

CLEAR

by CLEAR

I can maybe say a bit here... used the MCC in 32 nonetheless running Competition 25. Felt fast on accelaration but imo doesnt give me very constant feel of fast unlike the Bora 50 ultra with veloflex criterium/roubaix .. im not sure if i make any sense. Maybe just the tires difference.

But still like new and the MCC came with competition glued when i bought it on sale from lbs. So im looking forward to changing it to my new veloflex tubes when its due to change the comp.

However... comparing to LW gen 2 with Competition 22s. I feel like I can hold the speed better overall above 30km/h. And between that and LW gold oby with Veloflex extreme/arenberg (yes staggered as on my Boras), can't feel that different both in speed, acceleration, comfory. Thus my conclusion, maybe im just not that sensitive to the tires themselves. But more on the wheelsets. I prefer Bora 50 (one and Ultra) overall.

I do however wanting to buy the MCC 47 hopefully soon just because im curious. Dont need another full carbon wheelset. So far im keeping almost all my full carbon wheelsets all the way from Strober (pre FFWD), Pro VT-1, Madfiber, cracked front CCU, cracked rear ventoux gen.2. But they are all fun to try while lasted. Now only Bora and LW attached to bikes at any given day ready to ride. But mostly I keep getting back to the Boras.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Corima website says 22.6 tubular rim width. Is that inner or outer rim width? If outer, they seem a little on the skinny side, and I’m wondering how they pair with a 23 or 24 mm tyre. I’m curious if they might do a refresh this year as it’s their 30th anniversary.

joejack951

by joejack951

MiddMan wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:30 pm
Corima website says 22.6 tubular rim width. Is that inner or outer rim width? If outer, they seem a little on the skinny side, and I’m wondering how they pair with a 23 or 24 mm tyre. I’m curious if they might do a refresh this year as it’s their 30th anniversary.
There is really no such thing as 'inner width' on a tubular rim. A 0.4mm width difference (23mm vs. 22.6mm) is well within tolerances for tires. I'd expect them to pair perfectly with that size tire, not that it matters much.

BikeKingV1r

by BikeKingV1r

I have been using the current MCC 47’s and am currently running 25mm sprinters on them, I know not the best tire but it’s damn durable. Corsa SL 24mm before that, fit is perfect on both.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

23& 25mm tubs here on the previous “narrow” version, zero issue.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

kzy090

by kzy090

From m experience with MCCs, you can literally hear the round carbon spokes dragging in the air. Best for climbing, though.
LWs are more aero, but not as much as the newwer wide rims.
Both are super stiff!!