Budget winter training bike - Cinelli Experience Veloce - thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Thinking to find a second or fifth hand one of these and use it for when it's pissing down. I like riding in the rain, but I'm not up for riding my good bike (only bike atm) in it often. Will the frame rust is ridden in the rain a lot? How many years of regular wet weather riding can you get out of an alu frame?

Cinelli frames are stylish too, I could tinker with it over time, maybe turn in to something quite special looking. I like it when people go full-R and put pink stickers and stuff on them :D Even saw a guy did one up with a gorgeous Enve front fork.

What you think, anyone ridden one? Does it ride like crap or anything? Never had a Campy groupset either, and this would be their budget option. Is it as bad as like Sora? Which is dire by the way, I've ridden the other half's Sora equipped bike shaped object, and wow the shifters are clunky as..

Second hand CAAD 10 would be the smart buy here, but I want something quirkier.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

No experience with Cinelli newer frames but Veloce is spot on. It is nothing like SORA much much nicer, if we have to compare its on 105 level.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Hey. My girlfriend has an experience. Its a really nice bike with some sweet details. She hasn't put many miles on it and it's a size S.

Where are you based?

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

UK but need a medium or large..

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Fair enough. I'm a Brit in Belgium. I actually have a Cinelli Saetta myself. Both these Cinellis look great and handle really well.

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

For what it's worth, I have a Cinelli Saetta. It's been a good starter bike but not super stiff.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I hired an experience on holiday a couple of years back and would happily buy one (and have a friend who bought one off the recommendation).

It's not light but with one day of riding on it I rode it over a mountain and was confident descending at 70kph. Geometry is sensible, handling was perfect.

petereps

by petereps

I built up an Experience frameset I got for super cheap to leave at my parents place so I can train when visiting. Every time I leave I miss that bike, really like the geo and rides great. I think the Experience with Veloce would be a great setup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Getting back to the original question, my experience with an alloy bike in winter was good. I commuted for many years through Toronto winters which feature copious amounts of salt, on an older Fuji Roubaix (all alloy). No problems with the frame whatsoever. I had a lower headset bearing disintegrate from corrosion, but the frame was fine.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM