Cervelo R Series - Changes for 2017?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maquisard

by maquisard

So it is looking like no changes to the R-series bikes for 2017, not even new paint schemes...

It begs the question, why would anyone buy a 2017 model when you could get the 2016 model in end of season sales!

Bit lazy from Cervelo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

Spec change like Dura-Ace 9100?
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

wingguy

by wingguy

maquisard wrote:So it is looking like no changes to the R-series bikes for 2017, not even new paint schemes...

It begs the question, why would anyone buy a 2017 model when you could get the 2016 model in end of season sales!

Bit lazy from Cervelo.

Because there isn't a 2016 model and a 2017 model, bikes that are in the shops already are still the current bike, and they'll remain the current bike until there is a new frame, new colour or new spec. Unless some individual shops feel they need to shed some stock for a quick cash injection there wont be any end of season sales on run-on Cervelo.

This isn't exactly new information - Cervelo have always made a point of not following the conventional model year system, and instead just updating things when they feel they need to be updated.

maquisard

by maquisard

Cervelo have historically not updated the frame design every year. When new frame launches occur they do so at big events, e.g. Tour de France or Kona. However they have usually updated, albeit sometimes in a subtle way, the paintschemes on a annual basis. If you like I can scan in a few pages from the last few years Cervelo product catalogues to show this.

For example the current red top tube R5 design of prod. yr. 2016 was launched in Sep 2015 around Eurobike.
The previous year's matt paintscheme R5 design of prod. yr. 2015 was launched in Sep 2014 around Eurobike.

This is the same refresh method followed by many other bike frame manufacturers.

It is an odd decision not to produce a prod. yr. 2017 paint scheme, one that probably stems from a desire to shift 2016 inventory. A new paintscheme might already have been produced and ready but it is not being pushed until the current 2016 stock is reduced.

srshaw

by srshaw

eric01 wrote:Spec change like Dura-Ace 9100?

Surely the dura ace models will be 9100. Won't shimano stop making 9000? Maybe Cervelo has plenty of 9000 stockpiled. The website still lists 9000 in the specs though wheras most competitors now show 9100 on their websites. That would be one thing that would definately stop me buying a Cervelo next year (I quite fancy the Dura ace S5).

wingguy

by wingguy

maquisard wrote:However they have usually updated, albeit sometimes in a subtle way, the paintschemes on a annual basis.

Paint gets updated, but definitely not always on an annual basis. Closer to an 18 month / 2 year cycle usually. Eg the S3 was launched in 2013 and is still on its second paint scheme. The P5 was launched in 2012 and has just been given its 3rd colour.

It is an odd decision not to produce a prod. yr. 2017 paint scheme,

No, it's completely normal for them.

junchen

by junchen

Can someone recommend an online shop that ships cervelo frames overseas? Tried searching a couple of online shops but they stated as 'local pickup only'.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Overseas seen from which side of which sea? Pretty international crowd here :)

MRM

by MRM

junchen wrote:Can someone recommend an online shop that ships cervelo frames overseas? Tried searching a couple of online shops but they stated as 'local pickup only'.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Send Jedi-Sports.de an email. They ship internationally and can build you the bike you require or want.

superdx

by superdx

maquisard wrote:This is the clearance with a 2012 R5 running 23mm rims ( H Plus Son Archetype ) and Michelin Power 25mm tires.

Clearance is okay around the chain stays and BB, but as you can see it is pretty tight around the seat stays at the rear brake. Clearance on the front fork is similar so you probably don't want to ride on roads with a lot of gravel or debris!

That looks like it would rub...

maquisard

by maquisard

You're right, it did start to rub when out of the saddle so I changed back to 23mm tires.

Good to see they have fixed that on the 2017 R5, the seatstay clearance is now massive.

superdx

by superdx

Is it really confirmed 2017 has more clearance? The pic linked previously looks as tight as your triangle

maquisard

by maquisard

The front fork has clearance for 28mm so it would seem the rear would have similar.

I assume the photo you are referring to is this one?

Knowing what my R5 (2012) looks like from that angle, this R5 (2017) has massive amounts more clearance.

You can even tell from the width of the brake bridge holding the mounting for the brake. The bridge on my R5 is very narrow, where as in the Velownews photo it is very wide.

Good to see! :thumbup:

cpark

by cpark

That's cool.
Now I wish 2017 R5 has a shorter stack height like S5.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

I'm hoping it doesn't have a shorter stack height! Missus is considering changing her Aeroad frame to the new R5 frame and is hoping it's a touch less aggressive at the front end, she seems to put down better power on our cheapo trad frame on climbs for some reason. I'm thinking she's a bit of a masher.