Cervelo R Series - Changes for 2017?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beaver

by Beaver

Hello,

does anyone already know if there will be changes to the bikes for MY2017?

Kind regards
Beaver

wingguy

by wingguy

The last couple of R series updates have been preceded by a new California, so wait and see when the next one of those is released, I guess.

Unless the R5 gets a disc stablemate like the R3.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sedluk

by sedluk

They already have the C5.

I think that everyone that wants a disc bike should have one or more of them.

There are compromises when building a disc bike and I don't want to start a disc brake storm. They need to make the fork stiffer so that it can handle the disc, same goes in the rear. In both cases it is not side to side stiffness that primarily needs to be added, it is stiffness front to back. That is exactly what makes the R5 special, very stiff side by side and very comfortable. That is the whole idea of the R5 and while the C5 is amazing and Cervelo really did the best that anyone could do, it is not going to be the same ride.

rkan

by rkan

sedluk wrote:They already have the C5.

I think that everyone that wants a disc bike should have one or more of them.

There are compromises when building a disc bike and I don't want to start a disc brake storm. They need to make the fork stiffer so that it can handle the disc, same goes in the rear. In both cases it is not side to side stiffness that primarily needs to be added, it is stiffness front to back. That is exactly what makes the R5 special, very stiff side by side and very comfortable. That is the whole idea of the R5 and while the C5 is amazing and Cervelo really did the best that anyone could do, it is not going to be the same ride.

Still missing the R3 Mud from their official lineup. To me after the PON Holdings acquisition of Cervelo the C -series bikes have been Focuses, or not original Cervelos. They're not raceous enough. BMC has their similar version of a bike to R3 Mud as a cross version. It retains the neary exactly same geometry from the road-counterpart. Also I think the geometry looks like pretty close to a Cervelo.

wingguy

by wingguy

rkan wrote:To me after the PON Holdings acquisition of Cervelo the C -series bikes have been Focuses, or not original Cervelos.

Focus have never had anything like the C series before. They kinda do now with the Paralane, but since it's the best part of a season later and executed totally differently, it's rather unlikely that PON ordered Cervelo to copy it.

uraqt

by uraqt

Cervelo made the R3 Mud available for a limited run.. I while can't find on the Cervelo web site I know I read some place that the R2 has a different fork that has more tire clearance. ( the pix also show a bigger crown)

C

maquisard

by maquisard

I thought the more recent R-series bikes had greater tire clearances. I have a 2012 R5 and it is quite tight around the seatstay particularly for clearance when running 25mm tires. The fork is also quite tight. I have been told that the current R5 and run 25mm and more comfortably.

Beaver

by Beaver

The actual R5 comes with HED Ardennes+ (20,5mm inner width) and 25mm Conti GP tires (which are not as wide as 25mm GP 4000s II, which will be 27mm on a 17mm inner width rim).

Does anyone use 25mm GP 4000s II tires with wide 17+ inner width rims on a RCA/R5/R3 or would this mean rub on chainstays/fork?

sedluk

by sedluk

Some wheels are bigger around than others, I know they are all sold as 700mm but there are small differences and the brake tracks are all in a different location. So it depends on your wheels and brakes but most people can put a 25mm on a current model R5/Rca.

rkan

by rkan

uraqt wrote:Cervelo made the R3 Mud available for a limited run.. I while can't find on the Cervelo web site I know I read some place that the R2 has a different fork that has more tire clearance. ( the pix also show a bigger crown)

C

Yeah, there are probably 50 pcs of R3 Muds in existence including the still pro-used bikes that are used by the Cervelo-sponsored teams. They are recognizable by the external cable routings, regardless of the new paint jobs for current R3 model year. The R2 is the same frame as the R3, but the fork is indeed different and fits if I've correctly understood a 32mm tire. The R3 Mud fit a 35mm tire at least if I remember correctly.

maquisard

by maquisard

This is the clearance with a 2012 R5 running 23mm rims ( H Plus Son Archetype ) and Michelin Power 25mm tires.

Clearance is okay around the chain stays and BB, but as you can see it is pretty tight around the seat stays at the rear brake. Clearance on the front fork is similar so you probably don't want to ride on roads with a lot of gravel or debris!

uraqt

by uraqt

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/10/16/fou ... ble-racer/

this is were I saw the info on the R3 Mud... ( only 10 WTF)

C

Ghost234

by Ghost234

There are more than 10 R3 muds out there, I personally know of 4.

The 2014/15/16 R3/R5 models can take some 25c tires on wider rims - but it depends which ones. I've tried a 25c Gp4000ii with a Hed Ardennes + and while it did fit, I only had about 1-2mm of clearance on the NDS chainstay. But I had ample clearance with a 25c Vittoria Pave on the same rim.

As far as changes go, I usually see or hear about some kind of upcoming launch. I've heard nothing. I dont see why they would make a change to it at this point. They typically operate in 3 year cycles, so it is a possibility.

Beaver

by Beaver

maquisard wrote:This is the clearance with a 2012 R5 running 23mm rims ( H Plus Son Archetype ) and Michelin Power 25mm tires.

Clearance is okay around the chain stays and BB, but as you can see it is pretty tight around the seat stays at the rear brake. Clearance on the front fork is similar so you probably don't want to ride on roads with a lot of gravel or debris!

That's really close. And you should check if your wheels are still true regularly.

maquisard

by maquisard

Yeah, I switched back to 23mm tires, don't regularly run those wheels in that frame. The worry was that if the wheel went out of true on a ride there wouldn't be sufficient clearance to get home even if roughly trued with a spoke key beside the road.

Amazing how things have changed, a few years back it was aero bikes running 23mm tires with mm clearances. Now it is the opposite!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com