lowest "clip-on" aerobar on a standard handlebar

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

HI all,

I'm looking for the lowest possible "clip-on" aero bar to fit on standard round oversize handlebars.
The U17 cat. cyclists here have to use their road bikes on TT events, but are allowed to use clip-ons.

Most bars I tried raise the position of the rider pretty much, I'd like to find a model that can provide the best aero position without being too much of a hassle to fit to the road bike ( stem swap, etc..).

Thanks for the ideas guys :beerchug:

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

These are pretty low.

wingguy

by wingguy

Profile Design V2+ or ADL are low. Unlike a lot of others you can also set the pads back a fair bit from the bar to reduce the stretch you often get from clip-ons on a road bike.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Controltech has two options.
Both are also among the lightest (and can be tuned to be lighter)

Aero Cockpit Plus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZi5VfcTYOY

Aero Cockpit

Installation on either is super easy. Position is pretty close to normal road/resting on the bartop.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

addictR1

by addictR1

will the Aero Cockpit Plus fit my Zipp SL70 Aero bars? not sure if it's narrow enough to fit.

http://zipp.com/_media/images/dynamicpr ... 20revA.jpg

Kraaf

by Kraaf

Ritchey Pro Sliver
Simple, light, extensions come in front of the bar, not underneath, stackheight is very low. Not expensive. Only downside I found where the padholders: They're a quite wide and tend to flex. I ended up using Deda pad(holders).

http://ritcheylogic.com/wcs-sliver-carbon-alloy-armrest
I love you guys. Seriously.

addictR1

by addictR1

i would think this would bring it down low...

http://www.treefortbikes.com/images/raw/HB1554.jpg

but since they don't make them anymore.. i'm thinking to DIY something like that to mount from the stem.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

The lowest clip on is a Vision TT Clip in wide armrest setting - 25mm above bar centre. However, it rises 5mm for every inwards step in pad width.
Profile V-Series and Zipp Vuka Clip Low mount both have min stack 35mm
You can get lower by getting something like a Profile T1 (alloy) and mounting beneath the bars, then stacking up the armrest. However it is quite limiting for reach positions.

Marin

by Marin

I understand the desire to go low, the trend however is to bring the arms up quite a bit in TT.

Did you see stage 18 yesterday? The guys running their normal bikes with clip-ons were running the stems flipped up with 2 or 3 spacers underneath to position the arms in front of their chest, even Geraint Thomas from Team Sky who usually know what they are doing.

LouisN

by LouisN

Ressucitating this old post ... :)

Been doing some tweaking the last few weeks to achieve the best TT position possible on the road setups.
here are my observations:

The Profile Design ADL is pretty nice !! Low arm rests, easy to install.
But the best part of this model is that the extensions are in front, so they don't get in the way of the brake and shift housings.
NOTE: I use some 35° stems and/or adjustable stems (up to 55°) so the handlebars are lowest as possible.

The other bars's arm rests are too high on the bars, and their extensions are attached below, making the installation through all the housings a pain....
@marin: yes the WT guys's forearms are angled with the hands up, but their elbows are generally almost a foot below their saddles to achieve a correct body and head position. Not possible with the actual road setup.

@kraaf: These Ritchey arm rests seem to be the best option now that I tried every tweaking possible, I personnally find them pretty expensive at $199. for just the arm rests without extensions :o !! EDIT: I watched the WCS model :oops: ...

addictR1

by addictR1

LouisN wrote:Ressucitating this old post ... :)

Been doing some tweaking the last few weeks to achieve the best TT position possible on the road setups.
here are my observations:

The Profile Design ADL is pretty nice !! Low arm rests, easy to install.
But the best part of this model is that the extensions are in front, so they don't get in the way of the brake and shift housings.
NOTE: I use some 35° stems and/or adjustable stems (up to 55°) so the handlebars are lowest as possible.

The other bars's arm rests are too high on the bars, and their extensions are attached below, making the installation through all the housings a pain....
@marin: yes the WT guys's forearms are angled with the hands up, but their elbows are generally almost a foot below their saddles to achieve a correct body and head position. Not possible with the actual road setup.

@kraaf: These Ritchey arm rests seem to be the best option now that I tried every tweaking possible, I personnally find them pretty expensive at $199. for just the arm rests without extensions :o !! EDIT: I watched the WCS model :oops: ...

Got pics of your setup? Sounds interesting..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Sorry for the poor quality picture.
I took quick pics of the bikes in a parking lot where my daughters headed to a 4 day camp.

The CAAD10 has the UNO 35° stem 110mm with the Profile Design extensions.
The NOrco has an Oval R710 adjustable stem with some generic bars.
Look at the housing mess I was writing about earlier...

And,
I Know the bikes are too big :wink: .
Never try to predict the growth of your kids, then jump on a deal on a (too big) frameset :smartass: :lol: