Need Tubular recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I just made the jump to tubular wheels. So far I am quit impressed with the suppleness and handling. I currently carry a bottle of Vittoria Pit Stop but also want to carry a extra tire. Can anyone recommend a tubular tire which is small enough to fit in a saddle bag. A tire which is pre-stretched like the Veloflex tires would be any additional plus.

I have read most of the posts/threads on tubular tires but cannot find the information I am looking for.
Thanks Mark

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I don't actually carry a spare myself but the tub that is commonly suggested is the Tufo Jet @ 160grms seems like a winner to get you out of a bind.......
BB

Coffee & carbon

sungod

by sungod

^^^ this

normally i use veloflex tubs, i've found pitstop is nowhere near as effective as tufo extreme, i've not tried orange seal but i've read that's even better

the tufo spare has been used a couple of times, just keep it folded tight and protected from rain/sweat in a ziploc bag, i reglue it every couple of years

you need a pump (and arms) strong enough to inflate the tufo to high pressure, it's a skinny tyre, at lower pressure i'd be worried about damaging the rim on a pothole, ironwork etc.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

+1 Tufo Jet for spare. This one took me home in the past when Pitstop failed. (FWIW of the 3 times I tried Pitstop road-side, it never worked, yet I always carry it in the hope one day it will.)

LionelB

by LionelB

I have a 20mm tufo spare it folds small but a used veloflex carbon can be folded almost as small.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Vittoria EVO CX has been a good bet for me so far. You can put Stan's in it before or carry a small bottle + mini-pump. Almost bullet proof as I've fixed a few flats with that combo. Only a major cut on the side wall that didn't work (a clincher would have been out as well)

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

I carry old, previously mounted tires as spare...have a few in rotation -- Conti Comp, Veloflex Carbon and Veloflex Xtreme. All have about 10 - 15% thread left, no cuts. Advantages of using old tires -- they're pre-stretched, they're lighter than new, and they're cost effective.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I use Veloflex tubulars and I carry this
http://www.cantitoeroad.com/Caffelatex- ... p_555.html

with a tufo under my saddle held on by a toestrap if you have tall rims make sure you carry a valve stem tool to b able to swap over your valve extension

jerrybrabus

by jerrybrabus

Vittoria EVO CX is the best and i recommend you!!

964Cup

by 964Cup

A Tufo Jet packs down very small, but they're very much a get-you-home tyre. Schwalbe Ultremo HTs pack very flat, so fit nicely into something like an Arundel Tubi, and are more of a usable tyre. Always try Pitstop or (better) Tufo Extreme before you change the tyre, and practice changing tyres at home before you have to do it at the roadside in the wet with cold fingers. Always carry a tyre lever - it can be really hard to shift a well-taped or -glued tub at the roadside when you're tired - and make sure your spare is pre-stretched and pre-taped (or pre-glued).

HillRPete

by HillRPete

964Cup wrote:and make sure your spare is pre-stretched and pre-taped (or pre-glued).

At the risk of sticking my neck out. I have been using tufo tape on occasion before. There was always enough glue left on the rim to glue an unprepared tyre to, at least to get you home. I would not pre-tape a tyre, but rather carry the tape separately if you have or want to.

exctasy

by exctasy

Vittoria Corsa CX or the latest vittoria corsa g+
awesome tyres!

Getter

by Getter

I think I'm going to get that Tufo Jet tire. Pit Stop has been more of a miss than hit for me. Same with Stan's. If your tire is cut, the Stan's will just spray out. Happened to me twice. Once I had to get picked up and the other I was able to limp back since I was close to my car. With that said, I did have a puncture in my rear tire and the Stan's sealed it up completely. It's been about three weeks and my tire still holds pressure just fine.

atakaoka

by atakaoka

I'd recomend you to buy the same tire you will ride.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Does Pitstop ever work? Im 0 for 3 with that stuff. Latest flat in Breckenridge returning from Vail Pass. Pffft. At least it was Bike Week and some of the bigs were setup there. DT Swiss hooked me up with free loaners for a day since i didnt have time to reglue. Kudos to local rep Marty from DT, thanks!
Thinking tubeless for the hills now actually due to my tub track record.

Spare should be prestretched and preglued.