Carbon Clincher Rim Brake Tracks NexGen - Experiences?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

:roll: Upside down bike guy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattN

by MattN

Calnago wrote:What's your guys' experience with wearing out the braking surface on carbon rims? I'm talking about simple wear from braking, not delamination from overheating or poor quality or anything like that. Carbon seems so much harder than aluminum. I've yet to see a carbon rim worn out this way. Who has worn some out and in what conditions? Pics would be great.

This guy has nearly worn out a pair of Enve 65's in 3 years and 20k miles or so: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1665978

Beaver

by Beaver

That would be acceptable - an aluminium rim won't last any longer. But if you can flatten down the new textured Enve over one winter that's crazy.

Has anyone experiences with the China basalt brake tracks? I have a set of NOX rims: Braking is stronger than aluminium in the dry but harder to modulate with grey Enve pads.

They are fresh, I can't say anything about durability yet. But the basalt is mixed into the carbon so it's no "coat" that can be worn down as on the Rovals e.g.

The new DT rims seem to use the same: https://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/Road-Whe ... 0-DICUT-80

Delorre

by Delorre

Beaver wrote:That would be acceptable - an aluminium rim won't last any longer. But if you can flatten down the new textured Enve over one winter that's crazy.

Has anyone experiences with the China basalt brake tracks? I have a set of NOX rims: Braking is stronger than aluminium in the dry but harder to modulate with grey Enve pads.

They are fresh, I can't say anything about durability yet. But the basalt is mixed into the carbon so it's no "coat" that can be worn down as on the Rovals e.g.

The new DT rims seem to use the same: https://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/Road-Whe ... 0-DICUT-80

I had a set of 'Steath Wheels' with basalt brake track. Well, after 2 or 3 rainy rides, almost all the top coat was worn, only the nude carbon remained. But that rermined that way whole winter without any problem. The owner of Stealth wheels confirmed I could use the wheels in all conditions, even if the basalt coat was gone. I sold the wheels after winter, so I can't say what the heat resistance would heve been with only the nude carbon.

Pan

by Pan

I can't be alone in doing this with my carbon clincher wheels, who else is alternating their braking between front and rear wheels? I do some strange overlapping alternations. In the wet I don't care and I just squeeze and hope to God I stop.

Using Zipp 404 Firecrest.
2017 Pinarello F8 Dura Ace 9100 @ 7.5kg
2013 Bianchi Infinito 105 @ 8.2kg
1982 Colnago Super Single Speed @ 8.6kg

fogman

by fogman

I don't alternate braking between front and rear wheels on my carbon clinchers. I brake both wheels simultaneously but only for about 2 seconds at a time unless I am coming to a stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Same for me. I prefer to brake late and hard so the rim gets a lot of cooling time between braking but it's not been a real issue. Running Edco's btw.
Ride it like you stole it

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

The new KSYRIUM PRO CARBON SL C are damn tempting in terms of light and braking performance.
Using Tapatalk

Beaver

by Beaver

Campy now with Zipp inspired AC3 brake track: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-bora ... lset-2018/

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Nefarious86 wrote:The new KSYRIUM PRO CARBON SL C are damn tempting in terms of light and braking performance.

Friends don't let friends ride mavics