Carbon Clincher Rim Brake Tracks NexGen - Experiences?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I find none of the issues you have with disc brakes except the cost. O.k they can squeel a bit when wet well shimano brakes do with shimano pads but ebc pads are much for this. Overheating is solved by ice tech rotors or the freeza rotors and 160mm diameter front and rear. None of this 140mm nonsence for me. Respect the laws of ohysics, disrepect them at your peril.

Your issues are due to poor setup and poor kit choices.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

kode54 wrote:my Enve wheels with new brake track stops much faster in wet and dry...but eat pads like there's no tomorrow. i'm not sure there's any way around that if you want to stop securely. i use pads 3X more than previous brake track. in fact, Enve gives you extra pads. not sure if that's the reason why. i was told that over time, the wear will lessen as the textured surface wears.

This is my experience as well... going from Enve old to new tracks. 3x more sounds about right. Gone are 3.4 and 6.7.. now 2.2 tub and 4.5 clincher.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I switched from alu rims with the latest Shimano pads (very good braking) to my 2016 LB carbon rims with cheapo Wiggle blue pads yesterday, and braking surprisingly is even better, if a bit louder. Dry conditions.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

My own experience with Campagnolo Bora Ultra 2 35mm clincher is that in the beginning braking is superb in dry and good in wet.
But after one year of good use the braketrack is not that rough anymore as in the beginning (which is normal) but braking is much worse now, even in dry.
Point is that if they shave of a layer of resin to make the braketrack rough by exposing the naked carbon, after some tim eof use the so calles rough carbon gets slippery again.
It's like you polish the rough layer with the brakepads.

I don't know if that will be the case with Mavic or Xentis but it makes me think it will.

For Enve, I'm very tempted to try but I fear same thing will havven and the textured structure will just wear off.
any long time reviews of Enve?

superdx

by superdx

bruno2000 wrote:

My own experience with Campagnolo Bora Ultra 2 35mm clincher is that in the beginning braking is superb in dry and good in wet.
But after one year of good use the braketrack is not that rough anymore as in the beginning (which is normal) but braking is much worse now, even in dry.
Point is that if they shave of a layer of resin to make the braketrack rough by exposing the naked carbon, after some tim eof use the so calles rough carbon gets slippery again.
It's like you polish the rough layer with the brakepads.

I don't know if that will be the case with Mavic or Xentis but it makes me think it will.

For Enve, I'm very tempted to try but I fear same thing will havven and the textured structure will just wear off.
any long time reviews of Enve?

That's pretty good feedback, I hadn't read that the 3Diamat treatment actually wears off.

My understanding with the new ENVE brake track is that it's not just a polish of the resin, it's actually textured like Exalith. I guess over time it would also wear down but probably likely at a slower rate since it's much thicker. I'm deciding between Fulcrum Zero and 3.4 SES clinchers so I'm very interested in anyone with the SES 2.2 wheels, which was the first to introduce it. Over a year now so would be nice to see how it's held up.

fogman

by fogman

I have not noticed diminished braking over time with my Bora One tubulars or clinchers. Both have the 3Diamant braking surface and have 2 full seasons of use. I wonder if it is worn in brake compound that needs to be cleaned from braking surface of the rim every so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

PaulSD

by PaulSD

The ENVE textured surface does help braking in wet, meanwhile the textured surface eats up your brake pads.

winstanleyrims

by winstanleyrims

here in Canada carbon clincher wheels are still an issue with braking in the wet, bad roads, and over heating of the track..
most of the brands have improved but not solved the issue..

HED have solved it as have my company, we build a clincher wrapped in carbon with an alloy channel, why? No de-lamination / over heating problems, and ideal braking under wet weather conditions. I might be tooting my own horn but have a look at the closeup pic here, it looks like carbon but not like the aluminum clincher brake surface (this is a new design) and of course /i'm quite proud of it and how it solved the problem:

black alloy braking surface on a carbon rim
black alloy braking surface on a carbon rim

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Gee....no problem with my zipp 303 CC's up here in Canada. Maybe it's a BC vs Ontario thing....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

You have to clean our pads every now and then and definitely after a wet ride. Any glossyness on your pad face will diminish braking performance. You should always use a soft pad as the rim wear will be minimised and stopping power maximised. If you spend the money one carbons wheels and then want to worry about short pad life you've got the wrong sport :lol:

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Re: Braketrack wear. I have been running xentis rims for 3 years now. Nil change in braking, compared to my rovals, which are have braking so poor after wearing down that i cannot actually ride them. The xentis never had texture and thus there is nothing to get worn down. The ax lightness i have have a similar treatment and brake as well but i haven't many k's on them yet
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beaver

by Beaver

PaulSD wrote:The ENVE textured surface does help braking in wet, meanwhile the textured surface eats up your brake pads.

A local shop owner just had a customer who used his new Enve wheels in the rain and some descends over winter - not only the brake pads are subject to wear, the texture itself was also flattened... :?

So... Campa will be worn out, Roval too, Mavic uses the same tech, so probably also, then there's only Zipp left - has someone experiences with these...?

For your everyday ride carbon clinchers will be an expensive component...

Discs I still don't like visually, they are heavier and have an aerodynamic penalty. :(

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

What's your guys' experience with wearing out the braking surface on carbon rims? I'm talking about simple wear from braking, not delamination from overheating or poor quality or anything like that. Carbon seems so much harder than aluminum. I've yet to see a carbon rim worn out this way. Who has worn some out and in what conditions? Pics would be great.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Beaver

by Beaver

You just "rub off" the laminate when breaking. Dirt, rain and descents will speed up the process.

A former rough or textured surface then looks like this:

Or the texture will flatten out:

The former generation UD rims will look like this:

But I haven't found anything about the current Zipp rims, maybe those will last.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bb7eCgLbLI

:evil:

winstanleyrims wrote:here in Canada carbon clincher wheels are still an issue with braking in the wet, bad roads, and over heating of the track..
most of the brands have improved but not solved the issue..

HED have solved it as have my company, we build a clincher wrapped in carbon with an alloy channel, why? No de-lamination / over heating problems, and ideal braking under wet weather conditions. I might be tooting my own horn but have a look at the closeup pic here, it looks like carbon but not like the aluminum clincher brake surface (this is a new design) and of course /i'm quite proud of it and how it solved the problem:

alloy-surface.jpg
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7