Pinarello F8 XLight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Somebody can make a decent profit reselling an XLight. It's not so much the weight savings as the limited production prestige. The marketing guys at Pinarello are brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

Shame the engineering staff aren't as good! Otherwise they wouldn't have the weight limit!

kgt

by kgt

maquisard wrote:Shame the engineering staff aren't as good! Otherwise they wouldn't have the weight limit!

That has nothing to do with the capabilities of Pinarello's engineers.

pdlpsher1 wrote:Somebody can make a decent profit reselling an XLight. It's not so much the weight savings as the limited production prestige. The marketing guys at Pinarello are brilliant!

That. Especially if Froome wins this Tour.

iliedanila

by iliedanila

kgt wrote:That has nothing to do with the capabilities of Pinarello's engineers.

Dude, first of all, it would have reselling value IF one could resell it to a normal adult male (70+ kg)...
The target area is small now because one has to be filthy rich, stupid at the same time and be called by friends "Bones"...
Imagine when trying to resell it at a bigger price..
Regarding the engineers at pinarello... I still think they're incompetent because most of the bike companies can make lighter frames without rider weight limit. And cheaper.
UCI has that minimum weight limit for bikes because they don't want the pros to ride crap equipment that can break at the next pothole, because it's too light..

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

iliedanila wrote:Regarding the engineers at pinarello... I still think they're incompetent because most of the bike companies can make lighter frames without rider weight limit. And cheaper.

That's part of the marketing and part of Pinarello's design philosophy. Thinking that Pinarello's engineers are 'incompetent' is totally unfounded. I just remind you that Pinarello can make frames like this one:

Last edited by kgt on Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iliedanila

by iliedanila

Yes, they can make good frames, maybe even wonderful, it's just that their attempt at a lightweight frame is a failure (my own opinion, ok?) and they decided to f*cking sell the thing at double the cost of a proper one (F8) instead of retrying..

One other thing regarding resell: excluding the cost, would you buy a 2nd hand carbon frame from me if you knew that frame came with 70kg rider weight limit when it was new?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

iliedanila wrote:Yes, they can make good frames, maybe even wonderful, it's just that their attempt at a lightweight frame is a failure (my own opinion, ok?) and they decided to f*cking sell the thing at double the cost of a proper one (F8) instead of retrying..

I've changed my mind on this one. I think they put that weight limit on it on purpose. Spreads the mystique of it being a true Tour level, Pro-level only frame to people who don't know any better. Doesn't mean the engineers are incompetent, just that they had a different set of priorities when they were designing the thing.

iliedanila

by iliedanila

wingguy wrote:Spreads the mystique of it being a true Tour level, Pro-level only frame to people who don't know any better.

I think 80% of the pros at the top level can't ride it safely. Are you one of those people resistant to any kind of logical argument?
:lol:
wingguy wrote:Doesn't mean the engineers are incompetent, just that they had a different set of priorities when they were designing the thing.

I just remembered I saw an interview with Fausto Pinarello saying that instead of getting credit for the lightest frame out there, he wants to sleep well at night.. Ain't that grand? :lol:
But in a way I guess he did it to support natural selection :beerchug:

wingguy

by wingguy

iliedanila wrote:
wingguy wrote:Spreads the mystique of it being a true Tour level, Pro-level only frame to people who don't know any better.

I think 80% of the pros at the top level can't ride it safely. Are you one of those people resistant to any kind of logical argument?

No.

Try reading my post again and paying attention to the exact wording. I guarantee you have misunderstood my point.

maquisard

by maquisard

Not entirely sure about it just being a marketing move, other frames have had weight limits, the Neil Pryde Bura SL for example. But then again that was actually a light weight frame rather than Pinarello's attempt. Why they still waste frame material on the wavy forks and other nonsense is beyond me.

4151zero

by 4151zero

Watch todays stage 12 for an update about the XLight frame in real world use..

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Against a moto?

junchen

by junchen

4151zero wrote:Watch todays stage 12 for an update about the XLight frame in real world use..

Nice try dude.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

4151zero

by 4151zero

junchen wrote:
4151zero wrote:Watch todays stage 12 for an update about the XLight frame in real world use..

Nice try dude.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I'm actually a dogma f8 owner, and quite impressed on how it fared. Dude.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com