Creaking Stem Handlebar Interface

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

So I recently changed from a FSA carbon handlebar to a PRO alloy one. The new bar just keeps creaking when there is a bump on the road or when I pull the handlebar up hard during a red light stop and go. I can also reproduce the creaking when I stand by the bike and try to pull the bar upward really hard.

I have tried the 5.5nm that my stem suggested, I have also tried 9nm, 8nm, and 4nm, they all creak. I have also used carbon friction paste, doesn't help. All the bolts are greased and torqued evenly in a diagonal fashion following the stem manual.

The stem is 3T ARXII team stealth, the handlebar is PRO PLT compact.

I never had this problem with my old carbon handlebar.
Please help, this is driving me crazy.

fudgefudgefudge

by fudgefudgefudge

Are you sure the faceplate isn't touching the stem itself on either side? I try to centre the plate so that the bolts are equally well inserted on both sides and there is a 1mm gap between stem and faceplate.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

And you are sure its not the headset that is the cause of the creak?

jimborello

by jimborello

I had the same problem recently. First I cleaned and put paste on the stem/handlebar interface, it didnt work, then I lubed the housing (Nokon), it didnt work, then I changed the upper and lower bearings of the headset , it didnt work, I changed the stem but it didnt work so after all that I removed the tape of the handlebar to find out the handlebar had some stress fractures so I had to change it (luckily on time) and the problem was solved =)