SRAM Red 22 vs Red eTap??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

gerardk1111 wrote:Flouro7.
My previous bikes were 2012 Zero 7 and last year I had 2014 Wilier 7.
Loved them both, definitely in the top 5 of all the frames I've tried it last 10 years. And I've tried a lot, kind of my hobby/ sickness of mine. I got to say, I enjoyed the older model(2012) a little more. Then the current model. It felt more compliant, better acceleration, way more stable at high speeds (. Anything over 40 km/h, especially while sprinting.

Thanks for your words gerardk1111 :thumbup: I absolutely love my 7, and don't see myself changing bikes for a very long time indeed. However, I do hope to one day set it up with etap! :beerchug: Currently, it has to make do with "lowly" Rival as the funds are just not there.
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Xico

by Xico

For the ones who upgraded/moved from SRAM Red 22 to eTap (derailleurs and shifters only), how much was the actual weight penalty?

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Xico wrote:For the ones who upgraded/moved from SRAM Red 22 to eTap (derailleurs and shifters only), how much was the actual weight penalty?

I lost 40g on my Venge ViAS going to eTAP. The lack of shift cable and housing was the difference, since that bike uses a full cable housing run.

DaReef

by DaReef

bmCube wrote:I have both. Love them both. If I had to choose, I would choose red eTap, because it takes much less (almost none) effort to shift. Shifting is always good, battery lasts long. Red 22 stays on my cyclocrosser.

Same here. Have both and love both. If price is not an issue I would give a slight edge to e-tap. It absolutely is worth the weight penalty on the bike but maybe not to the wallet.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I also have both, albeit the mechanical Red 22 is now in a box in my garage. I have always loved Red Mechanical and was one of the ones who "swore" they would never ride electronic shifting on a personal bike. Got an opportunity to purchase etap and am absolutely thrilled with it. I have about 1500 trouble free and joyous shifting miles on it. The ability to upshift the front derailleur with my pinky finger with the option to also apply some front brake at the same time for whatever reason is reason enough for me. Even though I have ridden Red for years and would consider myself pretty proficient at it, it was still possible to mis-shift Red from time to time. Mis-shifts don't and can't happen with etap. Effortless. Great tactile feedback. Same shift each time every time. Long battery life. Set up obviously a huge plus. It makes riding more fun than it already was.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

shotgun

by shotgun

Moved to eTap from Red22. I've never looked back.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

wheelbuilder wrote:I also have both, albeit the mechanical Red 22 is now in a box in my garage. I have always loved Red Mechanical and was one of the ones who "swore" they would never ride electronic shifting on a personal bike. Got an opportunity to purchase etap and am absolutely thrilled with it. I have about 1500 trouble free and joyous shifting miles on it. The ability to upshift the front derailleur with my pinky finger with the option to also apply some front brake at the same time for whatever reason is reason enough for me. Even though I have ridden Red for years and would consider myself pretty proficient at it, it was still possible to mis-shift Red from time to time. Mis-shifts don't and can't happen with etap. Effortless. Great tactile feedback. Same shift each time every time. Long battery life. Set up obviously a huge plus. It makes riding more fun than it already was.

x2, except I still have another bike with Red22, and a TT bike with Red 10sp derailleurs, and R2C shifters, and a gravel bike with Force CX1. I love the eTAP though, and I rather it over all the others. It's weird when I go to the gravel bike, and reach for the left shifter, and it isn't there. That being said, everything you said was spot on. If money wasn't a thing, I would convert all of my bikes over.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

ProfessorChaos wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:I also have both, albeit the mechanical Red 22 is now in a box in my garage. I have always loved Red Mechanical and was one of the ones who "swore" they would never ride electronic shifting on a personal bike. Got an opportunity to purchase etap and am absolutely thrilled with it. I have about 1500 trouble free and joyous shifting miles on it. The ability to upshift the front derailleur with my pinky finger with the option to also apply some front brake at the same time for whatever reason is reason enough for me. Even though I have ridden Red for years and would consider myself pretty proficient at it, it was still possible to mis-shift Red from time to time. Mis-shifts don't and can't happen with etap. Effortless. Great tactile feedback. Same shift each time every time. Long battery life. Set up obviously a huge plus. It makes riding more fun than it already was.

x2, except I still have another bike with Red22, and a TT bike with Red 10sp derailleurs, and R2C shifters, and a gravel bike with Force CX1. I love the eTAP though, and I rather it over all the others. It's weird when I go to the gravel bike, and reach for the left shifter, and it isn't there. That being said, everything you said was spot on. If money wasn't a thing, I would convert all of my bikes over.

Nice to see another Sram fan on a message board. Sram gets a lot of flack. Some of it deserved, most of it BS. I have Force on my cx/beater bike, and XO Gripshift 10 spd on my MTB. Never really cared for Shimano personally as the shifting has always felt too light and refined. I like the feel of Sram. Don't mind working on Shimano though.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

rsiv

by rsiv

I love my etap set, that being said I have a current Sram Red groupset 172.5, pulled it off my tarmac before selling the frame. You'd only need to get a set of brakes if you want to save some money it's collecting dust on my coffee table.
S-Works Venge 54cm 7245.62
Etap & Quarq DZero

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I definitely prefer SRAM over Shimano. I've been using SRAM since '08 on road bikes, and it would take something huge to get me to change. The hoods fit my hands so well. Shimano/Campagnolo never feel right in my hands. Plus I often accidentally grab the brake while shifting on Shimano mechanical, and I just don't don't like the Campy thumb shifters. Luckily, we are blessed with many options, and I choose SRAM. Their customer service is unparalleled among their competitors. Also, in 9 years, I've only had one shifter failure in a muddy, freezing CX race.

nickf

by nickf

I think I'm going to go red mechanical on my next build. Other then being wireless what is the advantage of etap? It's looked at like a halo product from Sram but it's just a electric group with no clear performance advantage. A couple cables have never let me down. Really though I refuse to have to charge my derailleur batteries. I just wanna pull the bike off the wall and never have to worry about it.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I used to think the same way. The thing is the batteries last a long time between charges. I still haven't re-charged mine yet. The shifting is crisp and precise just like mechanical red. It's lighter on my bike, and simplifies working on it. I've not seen any downsides yet, just everything is a bit better. Sometimes cable stiction would cause half shifts with mechanical, that is completely eliminated obviously.

nickf

by nickf

Maybe I will change my mind when the time comes to actually start the design process. The frame will have internal routing with cable stops, not full housing. I'm just having a hard time justifying the additional cost and the real need for it other then the novelty of it being wireless. I can see where your coming from with a bike that is hard to cable and doesn't have ideal routing. For less money then just the upgrade etap kit I can get all the mechanical bits plus crankset, cassette, and chain.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Also, the novelty of my Garmin displaying the gear selection is pretty rad. It's like Shimano Flight Deck all over again, but obviously way better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rsiv

by rsiv

ProfessorChaos wrote:Also, the novelty of my Garmin displaying the gear selection is pretty rad. It's like Shimano Flight Deck all over again, but obviously way better.

lol I've been riding my etap venge for quite some time now and never thought of doing that... I'm going to try it tonight haha.
S-Works Venge 54cm 7245.62
Etap & Quarq DZero