Dura Ace 9000 cassette; top two cogs creaking...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Hey

We have all read the massive thread about the second 3-cog, nylon mounted cluster cracking, but have any of you had any issues with the metal mounted top arrangement of 2 cogs?

I am currently 'enjoying' creaking with my Dura Ace cassette mounted to an Extralite CyberRear SP. It comes and goes, and only really kicks in when I am gurning my way up 12% + climbs, in 34-28, in a high torque situation. The creaking does not occur on any other cogs apart from the top two, in any riding scenario, so it is definitely something happening here.

I have tried putting various things like automobile brake assembly paste, and copper slip on the splines, to no avail.

So, anyone had any creaking with the top two cogs? I realise it might be an issue with the Extralite freebody splines and how they interact with the Dura Ace cassette splines, but thought I would ask.

I have checked the splines for gouges, twists and warps in the metal, and there is nothing...

uraz

by uraz

Did you tighten lock ring to 40-45NM?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Brus

by Brus

mine is creaking in the same way. Not always, sometimes.

uraqt

by uraqt

its a bad cassette, Shimano should replace it with a cassette that will also fail.. there is a massive thread about it here some place..

C

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

I have it but only on lowest gear (biggest cog). Only when power is high enough so sounds like some movement is cause of noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uraqt

by uraqt

Yep the metal gears/pins/rivets are rubbing in the carbon carrier. If the creak they will fail .. get them replaced...

here is the thread with pix...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118879

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Hi

-lock ring tightened properly.
-I realise there is a massive thread but the focus of that was the middle cluster mounted to the nylon composite carrier, not the top cluster mounted to metal, hence my new thread.
-yes, this is absolutely an issue with movement. Just want to know his to eliminate it.
-uraqt; I am not talking about the middle cluster mounted to the composite carrier. Read my initial post :)

Bit more info;

This always occurs after I have done a big climb, and then when I start the next one on a ride. Movement is definitely the issue here. I do think that the Extralite freebody plays a part in this, as well as the cassette itself.

uraqt

by uraqt

The carbon carrier is the top cluster not the middle ... closest to the spokes

C

Nejmann

by Nejmann

It's a fault in the design. It sounds awful.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

uraqt wrote:The carbon carrier is the top cluster not the middle ... closest to the spokes

C

You have to be trolling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

Sorry, I'm wrong.

I forgot and hadn't taken mine out of the box in two years.

C