Mavic CCU 2017

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LeeCH

by LeeCH

Mavic Ccu is named Mavic CU in new version as I know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

commfire

by commfire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy1lrEEosfU

Clearly an updated version of the CCU. Although, he seems to confuse them with the Carbon SLs

998nox

by 998nox

There has some problems. but I'll wait new version.

reknop

by reknop

cyclespeed wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:Otherwise, a nice pair, much cheaper than Lightweights, and not so different.

That were my first thoughts as well. So I'm curious to learn more about these wheels ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

vlastrada

by vlastrada

Some info from Mavic...see link below

as mentioned it seems the biggest change is the shape of the rim/presumably improved aero; carbon now 3k from 12k.

Declared weight up by 70g to 1,250g per set, which is a bit disappointing, although i guess they kept them stiff.
My CCUs (2014) i think are around 1160-1170g (w ceramic bearings).

Same price (3000eur/3750 USD). Rear hub still alu.

http://www.mavic.us/wheels-road-triathl ... 1473610643

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Bit disappointing indeed. I have a pair and they're good wheels, excellent value.

But these new ones are getting dangerously close to Lightweight price territory, yet to my mind, they don't have the same kudos.

And Corima MCC 47 S+ are cheaper, lighter, stiffer.....

reknop

by reknop

cyclespeed wrote:But these new ones are getting dangerously close to Lightweight price territory, yet to my mind, they don't have the same kudos.

For this price-point I personally would opt for Lightweight or a customer 77-composites wheelset.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

vlastrada

by vlastrada

yeah, at face value, at RRP they seem overpriced and there are more options these days, but (hubs apart) I think even the old CCUs remain great wheels.

It seems that Mavic missed the boat by making them heavier, increasing the gap with LW & Co... In fact now Campy Boras Ultra are a bit lighter and with excellent cult bearings to boot...

So, based on the limited info available so far, I agree w cyclespeed & others, at that point I would also go for LW, MCC+ (personally more intrigued by the 32mm) or even the excellent Campa Bora Ultra or maybe even a custom set with the new Schmolke rims...

That said @ cyclespeed, like I mentioned earlier the RRP has not changed at 3000eur/3750 USD; it's just that in recent years it has become easier to find the old CCUs discounted on the interweb.

sawyer

by sawyer

To be fair at E3000 RRP they are still a fair bit cheaper than LWs

I had some for a while. Liked the muted ride quality from the carbon-spoked construction. Snappy going uphill. Good puncheur's wheelset. Look cool

Didn't feel as fast as more traditional 50mm ish wheels once up to speed though. And they do catch the wind.

You have to put a lot of value on the look and exclusivity to buy a wheelset like this new, given the options now available at half the price
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

NeoHK

by NeoHK

2015/16 already have new front rim for CCU when katshua, kristoff fighting for sprinting
mavic own enve for more tech information
finally they made some more new rim for their own series
BTW, about the FTS-L hub bad designing. some taiwanese DIY the hubbody into dual bearing support. to made it more durable. and IT WORKS.
hope all above are old news~